Pinout for Dell 220w brick?

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Looking to make a cable direct from the 8pin output of the power brick, does anyone already know the pinout for the 8pin? Mainly just need to know which pins are 12v and which are ground.

Exact model of the brick is: D2220P-01

I'd just check it myself with a multimeter butI don't have it in hand. Thanks!

theoldwizard1

Trash Compacter
Sep 10, 2018
I apologize for resurrecting this old thread, but my question is relevant to the DA-2.

Forget the pin out, I am into surgery ! Once you cut off the connector I know these thing for certain
  • The 3 white wires are +12V DC
  • Th 3 black wires are Ground
  • The blue wire is remote On/Off. Shorting to ground and it it always on.
  • The red wire ?

I cut off the red wire for my project because I could not find anything specific on what it's functions was. I have noticed that the 12V output is more like 12.1V-12.2V

The more I think about it, I am guessing that the red wire is a "voltage sense" and for a more accurate output this would be connected to the other +22V wires.

Can anyone confirm this ???

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
I'm not sure if it needs to be connected but yes it is a sense wire of some sort according to Google search.

12.2v is well within atx spec and is ideal idle voltage for the 12v rail so that under load it will still be above 12v (spec 11.4 - 12.6v)

theoldwizard1

Trash Compacter
Sep 10, 2018
12.2v is well within ATX spec and is ideal idle voltage for the 12v rail so that under load it will still be above 12v (spec 11.4 - 12.6v)
Thank you !

I had ASSUMED the spec was much tighter, like 11.9V-12.1V. I was seriously contemplating remaking my adapter (nicely solder and covered in shrink tubing).

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
The stringent part is atx spec is actually the ripple voltage - for 12v rail I think it's 120mv. It's this spec that less specialized 12v psu can't meet, some don't even publish their ripple spec. Not every brick meets that spec. The da-2 does though.

And some psu like HDplex are overengineered to have ultra low ripple, just 10mv. So it exceeds the minimum specs by 12x (HDplex were originally designed for audiophiles)

Last edited:
Reactions: SFFMunkee