Pico psu help

Relishh13

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I need some advice on a pick psu. I have been digging through forums of all kinds for some time. I dont want to buy a new pc for my needs as I would like to use what I have. Here it is. Amd a10 7800. 1TB samsung evo ssd. 2TB 2.5" WD blue. 5TB 3.5" WD blue. 16gig ddr3 2400. Msi A68HI. Is there or can someone recomend a picopsu and power brick that would power these components. I dont have 3 prong outlets so the brick would have to have a polerized 2 prong. I dont game any more with this(xbox one) so I could delete the wd blues if needed as I could use a external hdd. Thanks for your help and patience with a newbie.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
A picoPSU-160-XT with a matching 12V brick or HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX with a 19V brick would be plenty.

The 120W picoPSU-120 should still be enough but it's getting close.

Do you want a bit of room to upgrade or is this configuration the most power the system will ever draw?

Relishh13

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
I may upgrade the cpu, but this is it. I dont ever plan on a graphics card for this.

Relishh13

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
What wattage power brick would I need? I don't know alot about the bricks but know alittle more about the pico as I researched them more. Thank you for the help.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
The combo you have will be happy on a 160w PicoPsu. As Aibophobia said above , the 120w will be a bit close for comfort. The 160w will run your drives no problem.

As for the brick, you will just need to find one that is 160w or greater of 12v - so 13.5 amps or greater. A modified first generation xbox 360 brick is a solid solution if you can find one cheap and are comfortable modifying electronics.

Relishh13

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Would the 192watt brick and 160watt combo from pico work? The only issue is the 3 prong plug at the end. How hard is the 360 brick mod? Looked at a couple but didnt see one where it changed the male female end for the pico supply. Do any of you think the ground line bricks are necessary. I ask cause of may situation with the two prong wall recepticles. Thanks again for the help. I dont mind the mods as long as there's clear instructions.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Would the 192watt brick and 160watt combo from pico work?

Yes

Do any of you think the ground line bricks are necessary. I ask cause of may situation with the two prong wall recepticles.

Having the ground is nice but not necessary for the brick to function. I couldn't find a C13 to two-prong cord with a quick search, so you could either use a ground plug adapter or just break off the ground pin.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
If you don't have 3 prong outlets, you should probably look into getting them changed to something that's up to code.