confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Moving the food discussion out of the Design+Manufacture thread and into here!

Post your favourite meals, instagram shots, or recipes.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Lately I'm in love with steak and Bearnaise sauce, with BELGIAN fries ofcourse. The skill needed is mainly in the steak and not so much in the sauce, but I find this dish very tasty and when done correctly, I can almost feel myself turn into jelly.

(not my pic)

As most sauces, I like this one with the most minimal amount of vinegar and sourness, as too much can ruin the sauce and take over the entire flavor. I can highly recommend this sauce on anything with potatoes or vegetables like cauliflower. I haven't delved deep into the recipes, as I've mainly enjoyed it in steakhouses. I found one pre-made from a local brand that's quite good too so the kitchen noob in me can enjoy this more.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
On the dinner plate this evening - homemade crispy burritos. KFC in NZ (not sure if they've done this in other countries) is selling a chicken strip, bacon, cheese and bbq sauce inside a burrito, quickly deep-fried to crisp the burrito.

Tried making them at home, not too bad. Could only manage one though!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Sounds like a killer combo ! Although the deep-frying goes a step beyond what I would do :)

I like cheddar the best as a flavorful cheese:

But it's not easy to find everywhere I'd guess.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Quite a few cheeses are easily available here - we have a massive dairy industry (7% of our GDP is dairy!) . I much prefer Edam cheese when a good Gruyere is too pricey for me.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
And so we learn each day ! I guess with the climate in NZ and the good amount of nature, the cows must provide good milk and excellent steaks XD

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Yes indeed - even cooked some cow on the BBQ this evening. om-nom

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I do love eating and I do love cooking. I'll to remember taking pictures next time. I do buy great cheese at the cheese store around the corner. Cheese is even better with good bread and a glass of red wine ;)

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I'm sorry, but I hate most cheese with a passion. I can eat mozzarella and stuff like that, I even got to eat a Ricotta Refume once and really liked it, but things like Parmesan literally smell like vomit to me, especially when melted. If you want to kill me, put me in a room with cheese fondue.

BTW, muesli is the most underestimated dish of them all. So many possibilities!

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I like cheddar the best as a flavorful cheese:
[...]
But it's not easy to find everywhere I'd guess.
This is so bizarre to hear: in the UK, Cheddar is pretty much the 'default cheese' found everywhere.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Yes, but UK is not the world :p I've had a tough time finding some, luckily I live next to the Cheese Capital (The Netherlands).

Something that's also a hobby of mine is espresso:

Freshly roasted single-origin beans in a good grinder and semi-automatic espresso machine = heaven.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I do love cooking. I'm prepared a Boeuf Bourguignon for tonight. Beef from the farm, shallots, onions, garlic (smashed to extract the juice), thyme, bay tree leaf, pepper baies ... everything marinated in red wine (a bottle) for at least 6 hours (and at most 24 hours).

I'll have 3 hours worth of cooking tonight to finish this recipe. Stay tuned for the next step :)