Permanent Dust Filter Installation?

Blorgon

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
ddejohn.bandcamp.com
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure a way to mount a dust filter on my intakes. I'd rather not have to screw anything in as I'm trying to design a case with as few holes as possible.

I'm thinking of installing filter material permanently to the inside of the side panels by gluing the material on the perimeter of the grill, as well as along the areas between the grill pattern so that the filter material doesn't pull towards the fan like a sail.

For the moment, the case I'm designing is only a personal project, so I'm not worried about people being mad about not being able to remove the filter. My idea is that every once in a while I'll just unscrew/unclip the panel and blow compressed air from the inside to blow the dust off (or use a vacuum).

So... gluing a low-density foam to aluminum or steel... yea or nay? How would it hold up under the fan's constant tugging? The fan I'm planning on using pushes A LOT of air, too. Upwards of 150 CFM.

Should I just suck it up and compensate for the extra millimeter or two it'll take to use a framed filter? Maybe commit once and for all to steel and use a magnetic filter?

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'd think that a magnetic filter would make more sense. A glued filter will be impractical to clean, and you're kinda done for if it ever tears or is otherwise damaged :eek:

What's the size of the filter(s) you're looking to get?

Reactions: HWI and Blorgon

Blorgon

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
ddejohn.bandcamp.com
200mm fan :D

Now that I think of it, I don't know if I've ever seen a 200mm filter frame.

Honestly, and it might be a huge pain, but I don't think getting a torn filter off would be that big of a deal. If it doesn't rip off easily, maybe some steel wool? I'm really not that worried about serviceability. And I don't see how a glued filter would be harder to clean, you know? Just pull the panel and blow some air through the other side. Maybe go outdoors so the dust doesn't get everywhere?

Blorgon

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
ddejohn.bandcamp.com
I plan to use DEMCiflex filter for my pc. They have 200mm filters. Check them out.

Mal

The reason I haven't used DEMCiflex, as much good as I've heard about them is this:

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, the shipping is painful since they're based somewhere in Africa. The filters themselves are excellent, though: restrictive, but by design, as they filter out everything. (Plus, they have the magnets, of course.)

Alternatively, if you can get a roll of the material used for halfway-decent filters, you could potentially use that with adhesive magnetic sheets (search Amazon or an office supply store) and fashion up some custom filters yourself. I'd bet that the total cost won't be much different, and the quality obviously won't be as good - but you'd be able to make a lifetime supply, so the unit cost would be substantially lower.

Really the only strong bit of advice I would give is to not cut sheets of filter material and glue them to your chassis :p

Reactions: Blorgon

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'd recommend against a 200mm fan. My day job is a computer repair tech and the 200mm fans I see that are more than a few years old usually have bad bearings.

The largest I'd do is 180mm because the SilverStone fans in that size don't seem to suffer from bad bearings like the 190mm/200mm.

Blorgon

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
ddejohn.bandcamp.com
I'd recommend against a 200mm fan. My day job is a computer repair tech and the 200mm fans I see that are more than a few years old usually have bad bearings.

The largest I'd do is 180mm because the SilverStone fans in that size don't seem to suffer from bad bearings like the 190mm/200mm.

Well for what it's worth, right now I've got the Bitfenix Spectre PRO slated for the project, which I've used before for a long time with no issues. It'll be vertically mounted, too.

BUT, I'm holding out for whenever Noctua gets their crap together and releases the 200mm they've been working on for a few years now.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Ah, I don't have any experience with those fans so maybe they're better. The NZXT, Corsair, and Apevia 190mm/200mm fans are trash.

I know how that feels, I'm waiting for the 120mm slim but Noctua didn't even have a booth at CES this year from what I can tell so I guess we'll have to wait until Computex for a status update :\

jsco

Average Stuffer
Feb 2, 2016
yo. check out these materials:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9641t14/=1122ogx (black epoxy coated steel)
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9230t27/=1122o52 (stainless)
http://www.mcmaster.com/#85385t82/=1122o02 (stainless)

very good filtration, extremely low resistance to airflow, and high durability. you can easily cut them with scissors. you can sandwich them between a fan and a panel, or glue them on. i prefer silicone caulk because it's easy to remove. filters like this can just be vacuumed, wiped, and/or blown clean without removing them. i have no idea why everyone isn't using this stuff.

DMEsal

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 31, 2022
create a frame from something like a clothes hanger and stretch pantyhose material over it