Dust Filters

• Use 'em!

• To hell with 'em!

Results are only viewable after voting.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Original poster
Oct 20, 2016
I have always used them but recently I have been reading/hearing many top builders/modders do not as they impede cooling and proper airflow I take it...

E.g. Listen at on 01:51 on this Singularity Computers video

It wouldn't be too much of a hassle to vacuum once a week or biweekly if I took mine out. \ However, I can see where in some situations a dust filter is really needed... like for a radiator in a water cooling system... that would be a royal pain in the butt to clean if filters weren't used right? I would appreciate everyone's input and experience on this topic.

Reactions: confusis

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
It's amazing how quickly a PC can collect dust in some environments. I think filters are a good idea for most systems, but your results may vary.

I plan on using them in my next build!

Reactions: ricochet

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
The problem I have with dust filters is either they're not too restrictive but let finer dust through that's harder to clean, or they catch almost all the dust but choke the fans.

I like to run my systems with the fans as slow as they'll go without overheating, so I don't bother with dust filters and haven't had much issue.

cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Jun 7, 2016
Where I live in Alaska is insanely dusty and windy. We have dust storms 5-10 times a year. All the dust is glacial silt, blown off of the glacier and straight into town.

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Original poster
Oct 20, 2016
The problem I have with dust filters is either they're not too restrictive but let finer dust through that's harder to clean, or they catch almost all the dust but choke the fans.

I like to run my systems with the fans as slow as they'll go without overheating, so I don't bother with dust filters and haven't had much issue.
So low rpm settings on fans = less dust sucked in... I may try this for a week or so as my filters are magnetic and easy to remove.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I live in the desert and have dogs.
I can't not have filters with how much dirt is in the air.

Filters being restrictive may slightly impede cooling, but it's not to a terrible degree, and it's easier to clean those than have to clean the circuit boards and up under wires and such frequently.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Never use filters. No problems yet! If it gets dust that's what canned air is for (or a good set of lungs).

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I hate them and love them at the same time. I wish I could live without them but I'm glad they are here.