Other PCIe X4 to M.2 (NGFF) Adapter Alternative?

Thestarkiller32

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2017
So, using a u.2 card, and a board like that, would have minimal performance loss?
Jup, U.2 deliveres 4 lanes over the connektion.

Last edited:

Thestarkiller32

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2017
This card has a molex connecter and uses just the u.2 connector, (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DV7LF02/?tag=theminutiae-20), Where as this one uses (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0199CECJ4/?tag=theminutiae-20) the sata type plug and no additional power. Which one should i use? The powered one, right?

...molex would be the better option I guess

Molex: 5V/GND/GND/12V
Each 12V Pin can deliver between 6-10 Amps witch equals to 72-120W(one device connected)

SATA Power: 3x3,3V/3xGND/3x5V/3xGND/3x12V
Each 12V pin can deliver up to 1,5 Amps witch equals to a total of 54W

PCIe Slot POWER (x1-x16) delivers 75W

...but they also produce that stuff sooo...

Last edited:

Thestarkiller32

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 13, 2017
So that's what ^ i would use, along with the 6-pin to sata adapter?
no not the adapter from SATA to 6-Pin... i meant with that, that they bundle that whit the graphics cards sometimes... maybe consider splißing the wires directly together... i cant get the AWG of the wires... if you get them, you could count the Resistance to ensure the safety.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
no not the adapter from SATA to 6-Pin... i meant with that, that they bundle that whit the graphics cards sometimes... maybe consider splißing the wires directly together... i cant get the AWG of the wires... if you get them, you could count the Resistance to ensure the safety.
So basically, you are saying to have two sata connectors connected to the same cable on that u.2 to x16 adapter? And that would provide enough power?

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Personally I wouldnt put that much power through a SATA connector but YMMV i suppose. It might be worth checking into power delivery a little, whilst x16 slots must be spec'd to deliver 75w anything less is (x8, x4, x1) only spec'd for 45w. That cable looks like its just delivering power straight to the slot, no regulation or filtering or anything in between so maybe just cut off the sata connector, splice on a molex / PEG / something else and see how you go.

Reactions: Thestarkiller32

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Those flexi risers w/ the blue tape are notorious for being unreliable. There is a thread about flexi risers here. In an ideal world the less risers and cables and whatnot that your PCIe signal has to pass through the better.