PCIe Gen4 Riser Compatibility

Rumpkin

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Mar 24, 2019
Hello all,

Long time watcher of the NFC projects, and finally pulled the trigger and decided to order a Skyreach 4M. Super excited to get the case in the mail.

My question: Anecdotally I have heard people having issues with Gen3 rated riser cables (Not for the S4, but for other PC build projects) and using Gen4 Video cards or storage. Longer term, I am planning to use Gen4 and am wondering two things:

1. Does anyone have any first hand experience with compatibility in this area? If so, what works/doesn't work?
2. Is there a plan to release a Gen4 rated riser cable for the S4M?
3. Are there any plans to have a bifurcated cable of some kind so I can split the available bandwidth of PCIe Gen4 x16 lanes?

One of the challenges moving from Gen3 --> Gen4 on the board level has been signal integrity and trace length, but I am not sure how that has impacted the S4M riser in this case. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I apologize in advance if these questions have been answered in separate earlier threads, still new to the NFC section and reading the backlog. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

-James

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
The NFC riser is not pci-e 4.0 compatible. The biggest problem is that once your built, you really don't want to disassemble this case to boot with the card in slot.

I have a japanese 5700 mini and an Aorus x570 itx. For some reason the bios resets itself every once in awhile (last time buying a Gigabyte). It's a nightmare getting this thing to post in order to turn off pcie 4.0.