PCI-E Bifurcation

Darthbaggins

Caliper Novice
Jun 3, 2018
Highly interested in this due to my son's rig I built would highly benefit from this, as I would love to add either a raid card or sata card so I can fully populate the media server side thatg justified to the wife why my 5yr old needed a rig of the caliber I built. But after reading it looks like I'll need to update his rig from the 3770/LGA1155 (H61 - was made out of scavenged parts from a eWaste facility I worked with) platform, which gives me ammo to upgrade him to Ryzen 2600/3600 or if I can find one a 3300x (to save some where I can).

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Some very small and versatile risers can be found at https://riser.maxcloudon.com/en/10-bifurcated-risers

The Delock 89030 is even smaller but it's a very costly solution.

Also notable are two surprisingly cheap cards providing bifurcation by using a PCIe switch ie no BIOS support required: ANU24PE08 / ANU28PE16 are 63/112 USD and gives 4/8 SFF-8643 from an x8/x16 slot.

Both the Delock and the Ceacent cards need PCIe adapters from some SFF cable, they are just the bifurcation hosts.

Last edited:

altair0319

Cable Smoosher
Jun 5, 2020
This may sounds dump, but I really don't have any knowledge on it...
I was using a single type-c cable connecting rtx 2080 and a docking station, just like how it works between docking station and a laptop, so that my case only has two cables, power and type-c. Now that Nvidia got rid of the virtual link port, if I go for 3000 series card, there's seems no chance for me to use the docking station since the type-c port on motherboard doesn't output video.
Is it possible to use the 8x8 pcie splitter and instead putting another video card, install a type-c pcie card to make the single cable solution work? can it output video? Thanks a lot!

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
This may sounds dump, but I really don't have any knowledge on it...
I was using a single type-c cable connecting rtx 2080 and a docking station, just like how it works between docking station and a laptop, so that my case only has two cables, power and type-c. Now that Nvidia got rid of the virtual link port, if I go for 3000 series card, there's seems no chance for me to use the docking station since the type-c port on motherboard doesn't output video.
Is it possible to use the 8x8 pcie splitter and instead putting another video card, install a type-c pcie card to make the single cable solution work? can it output video? Thanks a lot!
I've already answered in my build-log, but here again:

"Why you don't just connect the screen to the display port and the dock to the motherboard USB-C? is just one more cable of 10 dollars."

You're welcome!