PC post-theft GPS

Mr.Fenestron

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 23, 2017
As the title indicates, I'm looking for a good gps/wifi/other tech solution in the event that my pc gets stolen. Military deployments, plus gone all day flying = perfect opportunity for a dirtbag to swipe my pc. In the event that does happen, I want to be able to track back to it when its TURNED OFF. Most deployed locations have wifi but keep in mind it would be under the same wifi name and chances are, they may just hide it and never power it up. I would also like to be able to get very close to it (within 1 meter maybe?). The military uses trapizoidal shaped GPS becons to track cargo aboard the aircraft. My idea is to use something like this and buy a cheapo disc drive, hollow out its innards and stick it inside. No one would no the difference. It would be really cool if I could charge the internal batter with a psu connector too!

TLDR:
looking for a tracking solution to find a stolen pc, when its off, to within 1 meter-ish.

Thanks for all the help folks. While I do appreciate suggestions, I am not looking for "software backup" solutions. Thanks everyone :)

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
As the title indicates, I'm looking for a good gps/wifi/other tech solution in the event that my pc gets stolen. Military deployments, plus gone all day flying = perfect opportunity for a dirtbag to swipe my pc. In the event that does happen, I want to be able to track back to it when its TURNED OFF. Most deployed locations have wifi but keep in mind it would be under the same wifi name and chances are, they may just hide it and never power it up. I would also like to be able to get very close to it (within 1 meter maybe?)
TLDR:
looking for a tracking solution to find a stolen pc, when its off, to within 1 meter-ish.

Thanks for all the help folks. While I do appreciate suggestions, I am not looking for "software backup" solutions. Thanks everyone :)
Arduino with a GPS module, hide it next to the PSU or in a spot it wouldn't ordinarily be seen. Give it a battery and siphon power from the PSU when that's on.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Mr.Fenestron

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 23, 2017
Thats EXACTLY what I was thinking! But I would rather have an already complete and app supported hardware. Know of anything?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Thats EXACTLY what I was thinking! But I would rather have an already complete and app supported hardware. Know of anything?
Unfortunately I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but there are some small gps devices out there. I've been meaning to do a similar project just for fun, but also because college is the place where expensive things disappear.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If it helps, all of those prices are in Canadian. It means they are about 25% lower in USD.

Taswegian

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
Only if there is a good chance other people who run the Tile app will be getting within Bluetooth range of it to 'spot' it for you.

A potentially cheap 'creative' solution; If you have a disused old phone put a cheap pay-as-you-go SIM in it (or sometimes you can get second SIM that just piggybacks your main plan). It's never going to make or receive calls so the starting $10 or whatever credit never gets used up. Connect to your wifi so it doesn't use cell data credit under normal operation. Connect to a USB header on the motherboard to keep charged & should be good for a few days after loss of power. If longer runtime needed get portable charger that supports pass-through charging and put that in series.

Use "Find my Phone" to locate.

Bonus feature - set a prominent ring tone & max volume, when you think you're near call it and go straight to the bastard's locker that's ringing.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Taswegian

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
Happy to help. Also worth noting there are (were?) services to track a phone based on cell triangulation so maybe that's another angle although precision is far lower than GPS, more like ''these couple of houses'' than sub meter but is an "outside-in" view so does not require data connection.

A dozen year ago and long before phones had GPS or apps a classic Ericsson GH337 served as a ghetto car tracker when the GPS solutions cost a fortune with subscriptions to match. A week on standby and with the car battery behind it probably still active when alien archaeologists dig it up in 2099.

Taking a leaf out of their book, a good enhancement would be proactive reporting. Don't wait to get home and find it missing, think about ways to rig up reporting if it's disturbed or moved. Modern apps etc open up heaps of potential to react on an intrusion switch fitted to the base. A more modern take is geo fencing that triggers if the GPS detects moved out of predefined space.

If a spare phone isn't available search for something old and broken, who cares if the screen is smashed.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
another possible solution might be to put together a tracking system based on APRS (wikipedia). There is a car hire firm in my area that uses APRS to monitor the locations of their fleet. Its stupid low power, doesnt require ongoing fees, etc. It may require a a ham license depending on your area and such though and if your going to be in places w/ zero existing APRS infrastructure may not be the right solution.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
I'm saving this spiral for the prep year (if it ever comes). Other than GPS-bugging the PC, I'm also thinking of a subsystem with a tiny camera that takes photos and syncs to a file server somewhere, so I know where is it and which bastard took it, LOL