PC crashing as of late. How to diagnose problem?

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
So, my PC was running just fine but it has crashed twice now just recently.

Everything seems to be running stable. So I am not sure what is doing it.
CPU is a 2200G at 3.9Ghz running 1.27V

And the Memory is Corsair CAS 16 3200 running at 3000 for stability. I did have it at 3133 And it was running perfectly stable than but back off to 3000 after the first crash. But, now that its crashed again. I am not sure what to check. Any suggestions?

I'm going to back off to 3.8Ghz and 1.3V too see if anything changes. I have SMT Disabled aswell. But I think I always had that turned off.

CPU Temp Reads 42.5C / 108.5F

Last edited:

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
While telling us what you have your hardware running at, what about your software (OS, programs, etc.)? Have you tried bumping the voltage on your RAM? The kit I have in my machine will not run at their rated speed and timings at the rated voltage 1.350V. Pushing them to 1.355V does the trick.

Reactions: Phuncz and TheHig

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
I’d recommend you Google windows 10 event viewer. Follow the instructions and see if their were any codes logged from crashes. If there are, Google them and report back what they were.

Edit: also, although I know they can handle higher ram speeds but if I remember right they really like 2933 so you could try that as well.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Event viewer is definitely worth looking into. It may just be software. Windows had some updates recently. Also just to be sure reset bios to default and run for a bit to rule out any personal tweaks suddenly not playing nice.

I had an issue with my ram timings working rock solid for months and suddenly CTD during some games out of nowhere. After resetting bios to default all well... So I added my tweaks one at a time to get back to where I was. Leave CPU at stock until you get the memory totally stable and then work the CPU back up etc.

keep us posted.

Reactions: Phuncz

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
I'll put it back to stock speeds than try the ram at 2933. And see what happens.

There is allot in the Event Viewer and I am not sure exactly what I am looking for so I'll look up more on it tomorrow.

The PC does boot right back up and runs just fine after it reboots. I am just running a Clean Windows 10. Only applications on it right now are CPU-Z, Cinebench, Aida64, Core Temp, Steam, and Discord. And I haven't even installed any games or mods on it even.

Thanks for all the help. I'll keep you posted.

Reactions: TheHig and Phuncz

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
Thought, I'd update you all.

After dropping it back to stock on the CPU it hasn't crashed yet. Not sure if it resolved it or not but i havent really used it much sense than. I've been rather busy and haven't had time to really get into the event viewer. When I have time I plan to see exactly what had happened. I remember looking into the Event viewer and seeing - Event ID 41, Source Critical Error Kernel-Power, Log System

If that answers anything.
Thanks again for all your help. When things get back to normal I want to make sure this thing is as solid as a rock.

Reactions: TheHig

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
Looks like it was the OC of the 2200G. PC hasn't crashed sense and it passed the Stress test again. I'll probably just keep it stock as I really didn't need the OC for what I use it for.