Storage Partaker B18 on AliExpress... 5x5 board with flat soDIMMs and 3xM.2!

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
@thewizzard1 no problem, I think I misunderstood what you were saying too and I didn't clarify how I wanted to power it :)

I think you are exactly correct about the B18. I'm planning to have all the 12v for the GPU supplied by Meanwell EPP200. It would be wired to both the 6/8 pin PCIe cable and the additional power connector on the riser cable. For 5V I'm hoping the B18 has an adequate supply to the m.2 slot.

Last edited:
Reactions: thewizzard1

leadwhite

Efficiency Noob
Jul 29, 2019
Does the m.2 card actually even need the 5v? the example i linked to before seems to show the 4 pins running through a couple of adapter to an external 12v with the extra pins for 5v not even wired up at all.

leadwhite

Efficiency Noob
Jul 29, 2019
Does the adapter board itself drop the voltage for the 5v down to 3.3v? I can see numerous adapter have a 4 pin power input - and I'm pretty sure red wire means 5v, but some of the adapters have LEDs to show the voltages, and these are clearly labelled 3.3v and 12v (plus the whole PCIE spec being 12v and 3.3v thing)

More detail about 3.3v vs 5v than I care to think about right now: https://hackaday.com/2016/12/05/tak...and-5v-logic-communicate-with-level-shifters/
Edit2 - My gues is thats what the 2 resistors on the board are for.

Last edited:

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
i'm creating a custom metal case & custom AC adapter brick, together with NFC Systems, for the aliexpress computer, that we're discussing in this thread.

it will allow a GTX 1650 Lp to be used, & photos will be available by october.

Last edited:

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
Last edited:

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
has this been confirmed ?
Honestly I don't remember! It should work, the M.2 should be wired up like any other intel platform. One of the m.2 slots should be direct to the CPU (top m.2 I believe) and the other m.2 goes to the chipset first (The one on the backside of the board)

I do have the M.2 cable and power supply to make it happen. I'm supposed to be replacing my desktop with it. If you don't mind waiting a week or so for me to get things together I'll provide pictures and document what I did a bit.

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
if anyone needs a custom case for this, so a low-profile GPU like a GTX 1650, can be used, my case will be completed by october.

Last edited:

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018

in order to use a low-profile GPU, a custom AC adapter brick must be created.

this is because the system itself, from aliexpress.com is 19V, while a low-profile GPU is 12V.

19V power is not compatible with 12V power.

do you have technical/electrical skills to create this yourself, or can you get someone else to do it ??

if not, you'll need both the case & this custom AC adapter brick.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
@CARC Mini
thewizzard1 has previously confirmed that his unit works with 12v.
Another fun note - Unit seems to work fine on a 12v supply. My supplier forgot to pack the normal supply (which I thought was 19v), and I've been happily putting along with my functionality tests with a 12V/7A adapter.

I haven't tried mine on 12v yet but I will be.

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
@CARC Mini
thewizzard1 has previously confirmed that his unit works with 12v.

I haven't tried mine on 12v yet but I will be.

you're correct, he said that about his 8th Gen version.

since then however, 9th/10th Gen versions became available. i wasn't sure about voltage on these new versions.

therefore- due to warranty & insurance purposes, my case was designed for a custom 19V AC brick, & has connector input holes for it.

anyone who wants a case without a custom AC brick, can have one, however this case will have the extra space needed for it anyway.

design credit to NFC Systems.

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Not sure if anyone cares, but there is a custom pcie dock for these computers

Cool. Similar concept like I am planning to do for NUCs. But this mini pc board has some advantages over the NUCs.

If you are designing a case for this, would people have to buy the complete mini pc or are the bare boards available somewhere?

Last edited: