Enclosure owning a SFF Ncase M1, I find it too big. A true miniITX, snug, sleek replacement?

SpaceTofu

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 18, 2019
Hi all,

it might sound silly, but coming back from some time away and admiring my SFF Ncase M1 (which I adore) I just realised how much empty space there is in it.
Considering that in the future I will need to relocate to a smaller desk, I think I can definitely say I am in the market for a new case: a stylish, true miniITX case!
I am aware how the M1 itself is marketed as a miniITX case, but I beg to differ: who needs three slots under the I/O panel? Some gamers maybe, surely I don't.

I am ideally looking for a case which is vertical rather than horizontal (a square box could also work) and as tiny as possible, granted that I can fit:
. a miniITX board (obviously)
. space for two HDDs (I have two 3.5" in a RAID1 because I am quite lazy and don't do external disk backups very often, but I am conscious that with the improving in price and performance of storage, I could get a nice 2.5" SSD RAID1 set to replace the two 3.5" HHDs)
. a case that comes without pre-installed PSU, as I have my own SFX PSU (and could think upgrading to a 160W picoPSU maybe?) so the less space in the case dedicated to the PSU, the better it is.
. I am using a Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B heatsink, so there must be clearance above the CPU; that should be about 7cm.
. needs to be stylish

To give you an idea of aesthetic, I find the DNK-H probably one of the nicest cases out here, truly very sleek and pleasing design.
I have looked at - amongst others - Loque Ghost S1, InWin, Fractal Core 500, but they are all quite bulky.

Is it asking too much, to find a case which snugly fits just the above mentioned components and just that? Probably.
If you can help, much appreciated.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
Hi all,

it might sound silly, but coming back from some time away and admiring my SFF Ncase M1 (which I adore) I just realised how much empty space there is in it.
Considering that in the future I will need to relocate to a smaller desk, I think I can definitely say I am in the market for a new case: a stylish, true miniITX case!
I am aware how the M1 itself is marketed as a miniITX case, but I beg to differ: who needs three slots under the I/O panel? Some gamers maybe, surely I don't.

I am ideally looking for a case which is vertical rather than horizontal (a square box could also work) and as tiny as possible, granted that I can fit:
. space for two HDDs (I have two 3.5" in a RAID1 because I am quite lazy and don't do external disk backups very often, but I am conscious that with the improving in price and performance of storage, I could get a nice 2.5" SSD RAID1 set to replace the two 3.5" HHDs)
. a case that comes without pre-installed PSU, as I have my own SFX PSU (and could think upgrading to a 160W picoPSU maybe?) so the less space in the case dedicated to the PSU, the better it is.
. I am using a Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B heatsink, so there must be clearance above the CPU; that should be about 7cm.
. needs to be stylish

To give you an idea of aesthetic, I find the DNK-H probably one of the nicest cases out here, truly very sleek and pleasing design.
I have looked at - amongst others - Loque Ghost S1, InWin, Fractal Core 500, but they are all quite bulky.

Is it asking too much, to find a case which snugly fits just the above mentioned components and just that? Probably.

this case which is described here - https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...kless-1080ti-mini-case-breaking-record.10462/

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Hi all,

. needs to be stylish

Seems like you could use some MI-6. With a footprint of half A4 paper, it's a 6.7L case supporting SFX PSU, 2.x 2.5" drives, ITX mobo & GPU with 65mm max CPU cooler height. Build log example on my signature.

And yes some people put Schyte Big Shuriken there.

*Edit: pre-order for current batch is ongoing.

Last edited:

SpaceTofu

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jun 18, 2019
@ignsvn , very, very nice suggestion. If I have to be picky, I don't quite like the proportions of the MI-6, i.e. I find the case too high for the footprint it has. And the screws are way too visible (quite like the clip system on the Ncase). Very small problems, I know.

In the meantime, I stumbled in the OSMI. Shame it doesn't have any USB port in the front. I could pull a cable from the rear I/O port through the base and have front USB ports, far from neat though.
Or use the side USB port of my monitor; shame the screen is old and they are USB 2.0. Another reason to upgrade my monitor!

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
@ignsvn , very, very nice suggestion. If I have to be picky, I don't quite like the proportions of the MI-6, i.e. I find the case too high for the footprint it has. And the screws are way too visible (quite like the clip system on the Ncase). Very small problems, I know.

In the meantime, I stumbled in the OSMI. Shame it doesn't have any USB port in the front. I could pull a cable from the rear I/O port through the base and have front USB ports, far from neat though.
Or use the side USB port of my monitor; shame the screen is old and they are USB 2.0. Another reason to upgrade my monitor!

MI-6's proportion is actually quite standard for a tower case, especially in such back-to-back layout. If you open it, there's almost no space wasted.

The screws are there, but since it's countersunk design, they are flush with the case.

If you prefer a different proportions in similar volume, I suggest to check another case here LZ7. However, the LZ7 has a different style & made of 3d printed plastic & acrylic. You may or may not like it.

Other than that.. Perhaps the usual retail cases like Silverstone SG13, SG05, or SG08.