Discussion Is there a smaller footprint from the Node 304 for a NAS?

silentheaven83

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
May 9, 2021
Hi everybody,

need your help. Considering a SFX PSU, a miniITX motherboard, one PCI slot for SATA multiplier, is there a case smaller then the Node 304 that can be used as a NAS?

I don't need hotswap and I'm based in Europe (Italy).

Thanks

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Six 3.5 drives is a tall order for any small case. Plus there is ventilation issues as you need air over those drives. Moreover, as NAS' have gotten better, this market has dried up.

Silver Stone has this:

And this

If you only need 4 Drives you could do an NCASE M1 but you will need a second HD cage. Make sure you have a pair of fans on the bottom. CPU clearance for cooling will be an issue.

Super Micro has this:

You might be able to get a custom built.

iStar lists come cases that might work, but I don't know where to get them.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Silver Stone has this:

And this

I looked at both of these, as I have the CS01 and I was thinking about the DS380, but the former is 2.5" only, which limits storage quite a lot with a very limited pick of 2TB+ drives at high cost. The DS380 is actually over 20L but also supports two extra drives. Considering the Node 304 supports 6x 3.5" at 19L, I don't know of any smaller cases able to support the hardware and cool it all.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Wait...I think I’ve got. The Cerberus has multiple HD mounting brackets. The Cerberus X could easily hold 8 HDs with them. Probably the Cerberus as well.

Reactions: Phuncz