Other Optiplex SFF 3020 and beyond - VT-d support?

burntoc

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jan 20, 2019
I'm looking to buy some Optiplex SFF systems for some low power home servers I need, but I've been bitten in the past with Dells because of limited BIOS options. I've found mixed info online that suggests that they do, calling it "VT for Directed I/O" , but there may be some motherboards that don't support it, even if it appears the chipset and CPU combo should. One of the older systems will likely be a 3020 with an i3-4130U or a i5-5490S. Can anyone confirm if these systems do support it (and not just VT-x)?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mark

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
The i3 doesn't support Vt-D, the i5 does. That Optiplex uses an H81 chipset, which doesn't support Vt-D and from the SFF 3020 owner manual, there's NO option to enable it.

So I can confidently say that Vt-D is not available on those SFF 3020 Optiplex.

Did you ask Dell support about that ? Maybe it's worth asking them to confirm that.

burntoc

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jan 20, 2019
The i3 doesn't support Vt-D, the i5 does. That Optiplex uses an H81 chipset, which doesn't support Vt-D and from the SFF 3020 owner manual, there's NO option to enable it.

So I can confidently say that Vt-D is not available on those SFF 3020 Optiplex.

Did you ask Dell support about that ? Maybe it's worth asking them to confirm that.

I hadn't asked them, as I don't trust getting an accurate answer. Maybe I'm jaded. I'd read a couple of folks say they thought this would do Vt-d, but your evidence definitely suggests otherwise. Now I just need to figure out what the cheapest Optiplex SFF is that does actually support Vt-D.....I think it would be a 7020 or 9030 with an i5 or better?

Last edited: