confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
All monetary values in the below post are in NZ Dollars, which at time of posting is around 0.73 USD, 0.66 EUR or 0.59 GBP.

With my home living situation changing markedly not once but twice this year, it's time I looked at reducing my outgoings. One easy(ish) way of doing this is to reduce the power consumption of the house. (I already quit smoking earlier this year, saving me around $6000 a year!)

Firstly, I used part of a small work bonus to invest in LED lighting, replacing six 75W incandescent bulbs with 9W LED bulbs. These were focused in the most used areas, excepting the bathroom, which requires better sealed bulb, for obvious reasons. This saves me around $110/ year. Not bad for a $30 investment.

Secondly, I have stopped using the electric clothes drier, which cost me $1-2 a load (for 1 adult and 2 children, you can imagine this would add up quickly!) This would save me around $250 a year.

Thirdly, and what you would expect to me my biggest outlay in terms of power, my network setup.

This is the network as it stands;

Power consumption;
Minecraft Server; 195W @ Full load
My Workstation; 186W @ Full load
Kitchen PC; 51W @ Full Load
Kid's PC; 48W @ Full Load

This, of course, is not taking into account monitor power consumption, which is as follows;
Minecraft Server; - no screen
My Workstation; 20W x 2, 30W x 1 - 70W Combined
Kitchen PC; 35W
Kids PC; 34W

This equals a grand total of 619 watts at peak load. Yup, less than some people's SLI config! Per week this would cost me, excluding lighting, appliances and line charges, $38.50 NZ to run ($2k/year). This is the equivalent of 6 Big Mac burgers (Big Macs are a known value and are used in an official level for market comparisons, and currently cost NZ$6 each, no combo). Power costs me approx $0.23 per KWh including tax.

Now, we all know that these systems won't be at full load all day, every day. At an average, the systems use this power per week, based on estimated on times and load levels;
Minecraft Server; 16.38 KWh
My Workstation; 2.15 KWh
Kitchen PC; 1.44 KWh
Kid's PC; 0.57 KWh

Costing me around $4.70 / week. It's interesting how working out actual load figures changes the total! Is it worth optimising this value? Well, at $250 a year, It's around what I saved just by swapping out light bulbs and removing the clothes drier. At what point does the costs of optimisation outweigh the benefits?

What are your thoughts? I'd like to see what you would suggest for optimising all of this. I'm considering adding a HTPC and file server/NAS into the mix at some point soon, using spare parts, so power consumption may yet go up. What is your network's power consumption? It would be interesting to compare what I'm using versus what you are using. Are my calculations wrong? Tell me!

There are also other inefficiencies to take into account. Time and space are also major factors. How much time do I spend configuring and maintaining this network and household? Where does my power come from - is my home 'green'? These will be the topics of future posts.

Posted as a forum thread, rather than an article due to the unfinished and discussion nature of the content. I will collate into an article in the future :)

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Very interesting article. I agree that buying parts to reduce energy consumption is often not fruitful, unless you're running ancient hardware from before AMD and Intel started reducing power consumption (Pentium 4 and earlier) or if you are running enterprise server equipment from over 6 years ago.

I invested in a Core i3 NUC to use as an ESXi host running a few Linux servers for various networking services, along with a 6-disk (WD Green) NAS on a Pentium G2020 using NAS4Free that has power-saving features (for CPU). These use (combined) about 30-40 watts, due to their power efficient hardware. It also helped feed this ever hungry beast inside of me that can only be quenched for a while with tinkering, making projects and modding.

Use quality chargers and adapters. Many cheap bargain-bin chargers have a lot (relative) of standby power consumption, increasing your continuous usage. These don't have to be expensive, original adapters either, there are good quality brands out there that sell at very reasonable prices (Anker for EU).

Heating/cooling a home is also quite the money spender, wall and roof isolation help tremendously. But it depends on what it costs in your country (subsidized possibly), but the savings in energy costs were immense, yearly cost was 1/3rd.

Congrats on quiting smoking, it's not easy but it's well worth it !

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Very interesting article. I agree that buying parts to reduce energy consumption is often not fruitful, unless you're running ancient hardware from before AMD and Intel started reducing power consumption (Pentium 4 and earlier) or if you are running enterprise server equipment from over 6 years ago.

All this hardware, barring the Minecraft Server, is relatively new (I'm also excluding the Kitchen PC Intel Atom box because ya know.. 51w).

I invested in a Core i3 NUC to use as an ESXi host running a few Linux servers for various networking services, along with a 6-disk (WD Green) NAS on a Pentium G2020 using NAS4Free that has power-saving features (for CPU). These use (combined) about 30-40 watts, due to their power efficient hardware. It also helped feed this ever hungry beast inside of me that can only be quenched for a while with tinkering, making projects and modding.

I've considered integrating various services into a single box - the issue I foresee is security - would it be wise to host the externally accessible SFFn Minecraft server on the same box as my internal NAS (with possibly NDA review data on it!)? Maybe the NAS could also host instances for thin/zero clients for the HTPC, Kitchen PC and Kids PC? hmm. I could pick up HP T5325 thin clients for $10 each.

Use quality chargers and adapters. Many cheap bargain-bin chargers have a lot (relative) of standby power consumption, increasing your continuous usage. These don't have to be expensive, original adapters either, there are good quality brands out there that sell at very reasonable prices (Anker for EU).

Anything using a charger/ power adapter is using the OEM units, which should be pretty good. All the boxes, excepting the Kids PC, are using 80+ bronze internal power supplies or better.

Heating/cooling a home is also quite the money spender, wall and roof isolation help tremendously. But it depends on what it costs in your country (subsidized possibly), but the savings in energy costs were immense, yearly cost was 1/3rd.

House is already fully insulated (built in 2001, current standards, I rent it). Cooling is.. open a window :p heating in winter is a single panel heater placed where needed, plus blankets. Auckland City usually sees a 2-32 degrees celcius temperature range over the year.

Congrats on quiting smoking, it's not easy but it's well worth it !

Thanks! Next up is quitting energy drinks.. ughhhhh :/

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I've considered integrating various services into a single box - the issue I foresee is security - would it be wise to host the externally accessible SFFn Minecraft server on the same box as my internal NAS (with possibly NDA review data on it!)? Maybe the NAS could also host instances for thin/zero clients for the HTPC, Kitchen PC and Kids PC? hmm. I could pick up HP T5325 thin clients for $10 each.
If you want I can explain how virtualization works over PM or some time over Discord. Than I can explain why it's not a security issue unless you want it to be :)

Thanks! Next up is quitting energy drinks.. ughhhhh :/
If it's like a one a day or one a week thing, I don't see a problem. Not all energy drinks are made equal though. But I've known people to empty two tray of 24 Red Bulls each, every a week. That's bound to cause health issues.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
If you want I can explain how virtualization works over PM or some time over Discord. Than I can explain why it's not a security issue unless you want it to be :)

I know with proper admin work, virtualisation isn't an issue, but I'm not that skilled from a software perspective!

If it's like a one a day or one a week thing, I don't see a problem. Not all energy drinks are made equal though. But I've known people to empty two tray of 24 Red Bulls each, every a week. That's bound to cause health issues.

2 drinks a day, 6 days a week.. eep! From a sugar perspective I do burn it all off, but the caffeine is the issue. Can't be as hard to beat as alcohol (yeah, I beat alcoholism about a decade ago too) or cigarettes?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
2 drinks a day, 6 days a week.. eep! From a sugar perspective I do burn it all off, but the caffeine is the issue. Can't be as hard to beat as alcohol (yeah, I beat alcoholism about a decade ago too) or cigarettes?
I've never had a cafeine dependancy but to me it seems just enough to pull through, the body can be waned off of cafeine pretty easily to my knowledge. Just be sure to not blame fatigue or lack of energy on it, since your body needs to switch from "daily input" to "tapping from reserves".

High five for beating alcoholism !

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I've never had a cafeine dependancy but to me it seems just enough to pull through, the body can be waned off of cafeine pretty easily to my knowledge. Just be sure to not blame fatigue or lack of energy on it, since your body needs to switch from "daily input" to "tapping from reserves".

High five for beating alcoholism !

I've found caffeine to be as hard as nicotine to beat - the withdrawal symptoms are similar.

High five *said in a Borat voice* :p

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
would it be wise to host the externally accessible SFFn Minecraft server on the same box as my internal NAS (with possibly NDA review data on it!)?

No. I'll not go into why here, there are better places for that conversation. But no, at the least not now and not for a while