Anyone know anything about choosing projectors?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Hey!

I'm struggling to find good sources for this stuff. Partially because my concerns are a little out of the ordinary, but also there just doesn't seem to be much thorough, good information out there.

Basically, I'm wanting to get a projector that isn't very noisy, has a native resolution of at least 1920*1080, and doesn't have a super bad response time. The main caveat is I lean hard towards LED projectors if I understand the technology correctly. Energy consumption is something I give a lot of consideration to because I might be living off of solar power (or rather, a solar-powered battery system) in a year or two's time.

I'm of the understanding that, when plugged in, most LED projectors are going to top out at ~50W of power draw, where as most bulb-based projectors seem to be rated to pull as much as 250W, 300W, or probably even more in some cases. At least, from what I could find written down on spec sheets and reviews... Using 1/5 or less of the power is obviously a huge advantage when you're trying to ration your energy. Even if the lifespan is not "forever," or if the entire unit needs to be replaced eventually, the functional energy savings (not necessarily the monetary savings) would be a large "quality of life" boost.

1. Regarding noise, I'm not averse to swapping out a stock fan if it'd make a big difference. But, of course, folks on forums and reddit are very "DON'T DO THAT YOU WILL BREAK IT"... but I'm kind of skeptical of how informed that perspective is. For whatever it's worth, I've also been led to believe that LED projectors are quieter since they don't use power-hungry bulbs.
  2. I have been gaming at 1080p, 144Hz for a while, and I'd like to keep my "big screen" gaming as close to that fidelity as possible. 4K would be a welcome addition, but I'm under the impression it still comes with a tremendous premium on projectors--it's not worth that to me.
  3. On the response time, I doubt I'd ever be playing COMPETITIVE, HARDCORE GAMEZ on my projector, but having more than 30ms of latency just from the display really starts to make things feel bad if anything else is also adding latency. Keeping things at or under a 30ms response time is a huge preference of mine. Unlike 4K, a lower response time is something I'd consider paying a premium for.
With all that said, do you have any advice for models I should be comparing? How much should I be budgeting for a projector that meets these needs? Are there any "portable" units that can check all of my boxes?

Also, I'm looking at getting a screen for my bedroom, where the projector would currently be spending most of its time. I've got a large wall that's basically just got two fairly large closets and is empty besides some hanging decorations, the plan is to have a pull-down screen that I can roll down when it's theater time and roll up when I'm done. Any advice in that department?

I'm in a rental, but the landlord is lax about things being installed. Most mounting options should be available to me.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
Hey!

I'm struggling to find good sources for this stuff. Partially because my concerns are a little out of the ordinary, but also there just doesn't seem to be much thorough, good information out there.

Basically, I'm wanting to get a projector that isn't very noisy, has a native resolution of at least 1920*1080, and doesn't have a super bad response time. The main caveat is I lean hard towards LED projectors if I understand the technology correctly. Energy consumption is something I give a lot of consideration to because I might be living off of solar power (or rather, a solar-powered battery system) in a year or two's time.

I'm of the understanding that, when plugged in, most LED projectors are going to top out at ~50W of power draw, where as most bulb-based projectors seem to be rated to pull as much as 250W, 300W, or probably even more in some cases. At least, from what I could find written down on spec sheets and reviews... Using 1/5 or less of the power is obviously a huge advantage when you're trying to ration your energy. Even if the lifespan is not "forever," or if the entire unit needs to be replaced eventually, the functional energy savings (not necessarily the monetary savings) would be a large "quality of life" boost.

1. Regarding noise, I'm not averse to swapping out a stock fan if it'd make a big difference. But, of course, folks on forums and reddit are very "DON'T DO THAT YOU WILL BREAK IT"... but I'm kind of skeptical of how informed that perspective is. For whatever it's worth, I've also been led to believe that LED projectors are quieter since they don't use power-hungry bulbs.
  2. I have been gaming at 1080p, 144Hz for a while, and I'd like to keep my "big screen" gaming as close to that fidelity as possible. 4K would be a welcome addition, but I'm under the impression it still comes with a tremendous premium on projectors--it's not worth that to me.
  3. On the response time, I doubt I'd ever be playing COMPETITIVE, HARDCORE GAMEZ on my projector, but having more than 30ms of latency just from the display really starts to make things feel bad if anything else is also adding latency. Keeping things at or under a 30ms response time is a huge preference of mine. Unlike 4K, a lower response time is something I'd consider paying a premium for.
With all that said, do you have any advice for models I should be comparing? How much should I be budgeting for a projector that meets these needs? Are there any "portable" units that can check all of my boxes?

Also, I'm looking at getting a screen for my bedroom, where the projector would currently be spending most of its time. I've got a large wall that's basically just got two fairly large closets and is empty besides some hanging decorations, the plan is to have a pull-down screen that I can roll down when it's theater time and roll up when I'm done. Any advice in that department?

I'm in a rental, but the landlord is lax about things being installed. Most mounting options should be available to me.
My family got one of the Epson short throw projectors. Short throw projectors are a lot easier than traditional projectors, because you can put them less than a foot away from the wall.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Chances are, the projector will be least in the way if it's mounted on the opposite wall or on the ceiling. Short throw isn't a necessity for that reason, but it definitely is nice in portable projectors!

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Close to perfect...

Ooh! There being an offering like that is quite promising. I'm not sure I'd want to budget that much for the projector, but I wonder if I could find a smilar 1080p unit for something like 50-67% of the price. I had assumed that laser units were way expensive, but the technology definitely seems like it's the best option available right now.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I got a Xiaomi laser projector. It's not amazing but it's fairly good. Bright and sharp looking for 1080p @ 120 inch screen.

Reactions: Soul_Est