Discussion New here and have case questions

kolop97

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jul 8, 2020
So I built my computer ~8 years ago and the power supply had a good run but took its last breath the other day. I was initially just going to replace it but then thought that maybe its time to upgrade. I will be upgrading from an i7 3770k and would like to continue using my current GTX 1070 which is around 300mm long(I know this limits my options quite a bit). For the CPU I'm aiming to upgrade to, I'm thinking the i7 10700k but I'm open to suggestions there. It is a "K" variant so Ideally, I'd want a 240mm AIO cooler but I don't know how feasible that is considering I am already insisting on room for a full-size GPU.

Anyway, the case I've been eyeing is the fractal design era case mainly because I am pretty certain it fits my requirements. Figured I should probably ask around first though since I'm a noob when it comes to SFF.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
... would like to continue using my current GTX 1070 which is around 300mm long(I know this limits my options quite a bit)....
Anyway, the case I've been eyeing is the fractal design era case mainly because I am pretty certain it fits my requirements. Figured I should probably ask around first though since I'm a noob when it comes to SFF.

I checked FD Era spec and it says 295mm is the max length supported.
So, are you really pretty certain it fits?

Perhaps you list out all your components + your budget + acceptable case size (in litres) and people can give better suggestions.

BTW, welcome!

kolop97

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jul 8, 2020
I checked FD Era spec and it says 295mm is the max length supported.
So, are you really pretty certain it fits?

Perhaps you list out all your components + your budget + acceptable case size (in litres) and people can give better suggestions.

BTW, welcome!

I remembered checking but could remember exactly.... I was actually way off(in a good way). I have an evga 1070 sc with its listed length being 266.7 mm. Budget isn't a huge concern for me but somewhere between a 100 and 200 dollar case is what I had in mind. I've seen cheap cases and I don't want to mess with that at all. As for other components, I'd like room for 2 2.5in drives but at least one is a must. I will be using an m.2 drive in addition though. I'll, of course, be using a sfx psu. For maximum volume hmmm lets see... I wouldn't want a case much larger than the era so 17 liters maximum I think.

Thanks for your input!

kolop97

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jul 8, 2020
you can go for a sf600 and a Sliger 570 maximum card length: 328mm and ist a nice case for a 240 mm aio. but you gpu can fit in the fractal

The Sliger 570 looks like a great option to consider. A bit more expensive than I anticipated but I don't mind that much.

Thanks for the feedback