Other Noob questions about external PSUs.

Damprol

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 5, 2020
https://www.newegg.com/p/2S7-05BC-0...atx-_-9SIAN9WBR78100-_-Product&quicklink=true
If I got a DC-ATX connector like this could I use an AC-DC brick with it that outputs 19.5V, 12.3 A (~240W)?

The board is listed as 16-24V which means the voltage is right, but would it work even though the brick outputs more watts than the 200W board is listed for?

I would still have to buy an adapter for the brick's connector, but that's a lot cheaper than having to buy a whole new AC-DC adapter if I wanted to use a Pico-psu like this.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
What I don't understand is how it will handle all the extra heat due to the 19v to 12v conversion. Reputable brand like HDPLEX use a heatsink on the DC-ATX direct plug module.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
What I don't understand is how it will handle all the extra heat due to the 19v to 12v conversion. Reputable brand like HDPLEX use a heatsink on the DC-ATX direct plug module.
If it's anything like the Pico Box version they get too hot to touch while powered(just idling). I switched to 12V ACDC and pico PSUs as the 19V tended to heat the RAMs up as well.

Reactions: Phuncz and Damprol

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
If it's anything like the Pico Box version they get too hot to touch while powered(just idling). I switched to 12V ACDC and pico PSUs as the 19V tended to heat the RAMs up as well.

Yeah I also have question marks about the Pico Box 19v (or the wide input) design. If I remember correctly, they use no heatsink at all, right?

Anw that's the reason I eventually decided to go with 12v system.

I mean, HDPLEX solution is working fine I suppose, but then the heatsink on the DC-ATX module overhangs the motherboard a bit, and my case doesn't have any extra space forward.

Damprol

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 5, 2020
Thanks for the info everyone. I think I too will go with a 12V system. That model I posted looked sketchy and I didn't realize that it would have to convert the voltage.

I'm just not sure if I can find a 12V pico-psu with enough power to run an APU like a R7 4750G. From what I read in a tom's hardware review it could draw up to around 120W overclocked.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Thanks for the info everyone. I think I too will go with a 12V system. That model I posted looked sketchy and I didn't realize that it would have to convert the voltage.

I'm just not sure if I can find a 12V pico-psu with enough power to run an APU like a R7 4750G. From what I read in a tom's hardware review it could draw up to around 120W overclocked.

I was running an i3770K off of a mini-box 160W 12V for awhile, there are higher power 12V versions available elsewhere J-Hack on this board for one I believe. I ran benchmarks no problem but for temperature control turned off turbo mode on it as the small case(MX500), lack of air flow and small heatsink(L9i) really limited heat dissipation and it would quickly cross 90C otherwise in benchmarks but no power problems. Probably would have kept using but the built-in graphics only supported earlier 1080 HDMI without using a GPU.

Reactions: Phuncz

Damprol

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 5, 2020
I was running an i3770K off of a mini-box 160W 12V for awhile, there are higher power 12V versions available elsewhere J-Hack on this board for one I believe. I ran benchmarks no problem but for temperature control turned off turbo mode on it as the small case(MX500), lack of air flow and small heatsink(L9i) really limited heat dissipation and it would quickly cross 90C otherwise in benchmarks but no power problems. Probably would have kept using but the built-in graphics only supported earlier 1080 HDMI without using a GPU.
My exact scenario is a Silverstone Milo-10. It's a modular case with two height options (by height I mean the direction that affects CPU cooler height). I'm using an Arctic P14 140mm PWM fan as intake directly above the motherboard. IDK if I will attempt the lower of the two height options with such a thicc fan, but I would like to try for SFF bragging rights. I could use a larger DC board for my 19v 240w adapter, but it would require a little more modding of the case.

My biggest problem with 12v is finding something that outputs 160W or more. What 12v 160+W AC adapter would you recommend for my use case if it is worth attempting.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
My exact scenario is a Silverstone Milo-10. It's a modular case with two height options (by height I mean the direction that affects CPU cooler height). I'm using an Arctic P14 140mm PWM fan as intake directly above the motherboard. IDK if I will attempt the lower of the two height options with such a thicc fan, but I would like to try for SFF bragging rights. I could use a larger DC board for my 19v 240w adapter, but it would require a little more modding of the case.

My biggest problem with 12v is finding something that outputs 160W or more. What 12v 160+W AC adapter would you recommend for my use case if it is worth attempting.

Metalfish has 200w 12v adapter. Just google em. I am using the 150w version, but just recently, so can't comment much on the quality.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015

I got a 180W with a 5.5/2.5mm connector off ebay, seller does a lot of mini-box and had their older ones before they switched to mini-din connector. Their present external supplies go up to 192W in mini-din but the 160XT comes with a couple of adapters https://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-160-XT-192W-Adapter-Power-Kit