Noise recommendations

Sexyllama

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jun 2, 2018
Hey folks,

New to the forums here, however very excited that I got the shiny new a4-sfx v3 on Thursday and got it all together. Plan on geting some cablemod stuff going on to shorten the mess under the power supply, however it all fit in there. Specs:

Intel i7 8700k w/ Cyrorig C7
GTX 1070 FE
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING Motherboard
2x 8GB Trident DDR4
250gb/1tb m.2 Samsung 950 EVOs
Corsair SF600 PSU

Prior to this arriving it was in a Corsair 250D and apparently provided its own "sound insulation" without even realizing it. Got it all together, temps are looking about the same as they were both during idle and long load times, however, god dang is that fan loud. The multi core enhancement is turned off, and I did adjust the fan levels to be a little more aggressive (tiny case, wanted to pump more air, but these were the same settings in the 250d), but not significantly more than what was factory. It's the same with the panel both on and off, so shouldn't be a matter of if it's getting enough air.

Was wondering what other folks were using for their cooler and if they had noise complaints or not. Was thinking about trying some acoustic insulation padding in areas where there is room to see if it made any difference. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Hey folks,

New to the forums here, however very excited that I got the shiny new a4-sfx v3 on Thursday and got it all together. Plan on geting some cablemod stuff going on to shorten the mess under the power supply, however it all fit in there. Specs:

Intel i7 8700k w/ Cyrorig C7
GTX 1070 FE
ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING Motherboard
2x 8GB Trident DDR4
250gb/1tb m.2 Samsung 950 EVOs
Corsair SF600 PSU

Prior to this arriving it was in a Corsair 250D and apparently provided its own "sound insulation" without even realizing it. Got it all together, temps are looking about the same as they were both during idle and long load times, however, god dang is that fan loud. The multi core enhancement is turned off, and I did adjust the fan levels to be a little more aggressive (tiny case, wanted to pump more air, but these were the same settings in the 250d), but not significantly more than what was factory. It's the same with the panel both on and off, so shouldn't be a matter of if it's getting enough air.

Was wondering what other folks were using for their cooler and if they had noise complaints or not. Was thinking about trying some acoustic insulation padding in areas where there is room to see if it made any difference. Thoughts?

Both the C7 and FE blower are relatively loud components. You can try mocking up ducts for both fans so that air is drawn directly from the side panel grill to reduce air turbulence noise...

Sexyllama

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jun 2, 2018
Both the C7 and FE blower are relatively loud components. You can try mocking up ducts for both fans so that air is drawn directly from the side panel grill to reduce air turbulence noise...

The FE is actually quite tame in comparison even under load, the noise from it is tolerable. Is there another heatsink that might be better recommended that would adequately cool and be quiet doing it for the CPU?

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
You could try one of those 3D printed 92mm fan adapters to bolt on a slim (14mm) 92mm fan onto the C7 heatsink. Zip ties work just as well. :)
Just double check all your dimensions to ensure height fit prior to ordering components.

Sexyllama

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Jun 2, 2018
Wound up getting the Noctua NH L9i cooler, open air it's a little bit quieter, with the side panel on is worlds better / quieter. Temps appear to be about the same, maybe a smidge warmer, nothing a little undervolting can't solve. Thanks for the suggestions, and I did actually have a friend 3d print me one of those adapters, will use it on another build and see how it compares to the stock one.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Wound up getting the Noctua NH L9i cooler, open air it's a little bit quieter, with the side panel on is worlds better / quieter. Temps appear to be about the same, maybe a smidge warmer, nothing a little undervolting can't solve. Thanks for the suggestions, and I did actually have a friend 3d print me one of those adapters, will use it on another build and see how it compares to the stock one.

The best solution is definitely LP53 + 92mm fan.

As you can see here: https://infogram.com/lowprofile-coolers-1ho16vm1x05n6nq

Shaav

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 29, 2017
The best solution for the CPU is:
LP53 + NH-A9x14 with a low-noise Adapter and a fan duct. The Nh-L9i/a is just a few degrees worse than the LP53 or the C7.

For the GPU:
Use a GPU with a massive heatsink and let the fan run slowly. Combine this with some undervolting. I use a 1080Ti FTW3 that has been downvolted to 0,8V and 1771 MHz. You can barely hear the system under load but it’s faster than any GTX 1080 build.

If your PSU is too loud, add a fan below the PSU to blow some air towards the PSU or out of the pc case. Both helps.

Last edited:

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
A quick and dirty solution without buying stuff for the C7 is to mount a nylon pieve on it. Get an old tights from you girlfriend cut out a pieve and span it over the c7 fan.

Lawnchair

What's an ITX?
Aug 15, 2018
A quick and dirty solution without buying stuff for the C7 is to mount a nylon pieve on it. Get an old tights from you girlfriend cut out a pieve and span it over the c7 fan.

I was also looking for an easy solution for my C7 noise. It tends to whine with the case even when idol/minor workload. When I remove side panel whine goes away completely. Does anyone have a link or reference they've use for a fan duct for the Cryorig C7?

Also are there pictures of this nylon method you speak of? Never head but seems like an idea.

Thanks!

Joche87

Chassis Packer
Mar 22, 2020
Hi, I just installed the Asetek 645L AIO in my Dan A4 case. On the positive note it took the temperatures down from 77c to about 55c during load. But the noice got a lot higher than when i had just used the NH-L9i CPU cooler. Is there any way i could slow down the fan speed noice when its idle? I tried doing it in Bios, but i couldnt make it work / sound any different :/

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Read the motherboard manual it is very easy over the bios. I recommend to also reduce the pump speed to 60%

notakenplz

Efficiency Noob
Sep 12, 2020
i7 9700 TDP is listed at 65W but is probably a lot higher on boost, maybe you can limit the power boost settings in the bios.

Also, the fan orientation on the 645LT will make a big difference -- I originally had both the fan under the motherboard and the AIO fan set to exhaust, but then flipped the AIO fan to run as intake, and now the CPU runs 10 degrees Celsius cooler, and is silent under gaming loads. The AIO running as intake/pull will also generate less turbulence and therefore less noise, I think this is true in general for all AIOs that run as intake & pull. I'm using a 3700x CPU, which boosts up to 88W.

One quirk about my setup though is that I run my entire case upside down so those two fans can get free airflow.

DangerMouse

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Oct 23, 2020
Hi, I just installed the Asetek 645L AIO in my Dan A4 case. On the positive note it took the temperatures down from 77c to about 55c during load. But the noice got a lot higher than when i had just used the NH-L9i CPU cooler. Is there any way i could slow down the fan speed noice when its idle? I tried doing it in Bios, but i couldnt make it work / sound any different :/

Did you manage to reduce the speed of the AIO pump? Very curious on the noise difference between the Asetek AIO and the NH-L9i.

Cheers,

Steve

Joche87

Chassis Packer
Mar 22, 2020
Did you manage to reduce the speed of the AIO pump? Very curious on the noise difference between the Asetek AIO and the NH-L9i.

Cheers,

Steve

Yes, thank god. It was running at 100% all the time, so loud. I changed fan speed in Bios, but that didnt work! So i had to download Fan Xpert4 for my ASUS motherboard, and there it was easy to adjust the fan speed. So now it is perfect, ramping up during load and quite as a mouse when idle