Power Supply Desktop ALL IN ONE Gaming - PSU upgrade?⚡

niko78

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Mar 5, 2020
Hello everybody
I recently purchased an Desktop All In One Gaming (AIO) with Display 2K - 144Hz, produced by IPASON
All the hardware is placed in the rear chassis/frame and currently consists of these elements
Processor - Intel i5 9400F
Motherboard - Intel H310 - ITX
Video Card - Colorful GTX 1650
RAM - Corsair DDR4 Sodimm 2X8GB
PSU - FSP 350W Low Profile

I am going to upgrade video card with RTX 2060 Super model, which needs a more powerful power (currently mounts a FSP 350W model with 12V DC output)

At least 500/600w are needed, but all the PSUs I know are too large/long/height to be placed inside the frame, with any possible heat/overheating problem!

At this point I am also evaluating the use of an external PSU (for example HDPLEX 400W + External PSO, or single external PSU for example EUROCOM 780W AC Adapter or similar) but outputs 20V DC only!
Can anyone give me some advice? Solution? help me please!!

thanks in advance to those who help me!

Niko

More screen:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
You certainly don't need a 5-600W PSU for that setup. An RTX 2060 draws 160-170W under load. The rest of that setup (CPU and all) won't draw more than 100W while gaming, and likely less (gaming doesn't stress the CPU to 100%). The display panel probably uses a noticeable amount of power, let's be generous and say 50W (it's likely more like half of this). That leaves you with a peak gaming power draw of 310-320W, but likely lower. As long as the PSU is of good quality and that rating is for sustained output (which it should be from a serious supplier like FSP) that should be fine unless you're running it at 100% load for years and years. I'm guessing you got that 5-600W number from the GPU maker's specs - those are always completely overblown and designed to take into account even the most esoteric hardware setups.

niko78

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Mar 5, 2020
You certainly don't need a 5-600W PSU for that setup. An RTX 2060 draws 160-170W under load. The rest of that setup (CPU and all) won't draw more than 100W while gaming, and likely less (gaming doesn't stress the CPU to 100%). The display panel probably uses a noticeable amount of power, let's be generous and say 50W (it's likely more like half of this). That leaves you with a peak gaming power draw of 310-320W, but likely lower. As long as the PSU is of good quality and that rating is for sustained output (which it should be from a serious supplier like FSP) that should be fine unless you're running it at 100% load for years and years. I'm guessing you got that 5-600W number from the GPU maker's specs - those are always completely overblown and designed to take into account even the most esoteric hardware setups.
We are at the limit ..
Display is (AU Optronics Corp) 27" inch QHD 2560 x 1440 AHVA 144Hz with a consumption of about 45w
For limit of space and frame/chassis height (40mm max) and low temperature/noise my choice will be the Grafic card "Palit GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER GP OC 8GB - 1830 MHz with an absorption of about 190 / 200W (average game from techpowerup/Guru3D review site)
I also planned to install a Seagate HDD 2.5" 3TB + add cooling fan..
The FSP 350w PSU could bear everything, but I don't like to push to the limit hardware components......., also I want to avoid excessive heat
advice or solution?
the model is recent (December 2019) and is produced by a Chinese OEM company (Shenzhen Xiabao Electronic Technology Co., Ltd. )....they build and assemble for AOC, Lenovo, Teclast, Ipason brands
- Link: http://www.sunbabe.com.cn/
- Link for buy: https://italian.alibaba.com/product...spm=a2700.md_it_IT.deiletai6.2.5ab178c7n4mKji
I purchased my AIO Desktop with IPASON brand, they are purchased only in China ... Price Euro 770.00 + Shipping costs (In Italy) Euro 180.00 + IVA (Italian Tax) Euro 170... I had commissioned a Chinese customer of mine who is studying in Italy to purchase, but due to the Corona Virus, she was unable to return to Italy and I was forced to pay for the shipping....?
- Link for IPASON model buy: https://item.jd.com/64664395259.html or https://item.jd.com/100010240322.html

Reactions: thewizzard1

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
We are at the limit ..
Display is (AU Optronics Corp) 27" inch QHD 2560 x 1440 AHVA 144Hz with a consumption of about 45w
For limit of space and frame/chassis height (40mm max) and low temperature/noise my choice will be the Grafic card "Palit GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER GP OC 8GB - 1830 MHz with an absorption of about 190 / 200W (average game from techpowerup/Guru3D review site)
I also planned to install a Seagate HDD 2.5" 3TB + add cooling fan..
The FSP 350w PSU could bear everything, but I don't like to push to the limit hardware components......., also I want to avoid excessive heat
advice or solution?
Well, if you're uncomfortable running your PSU that close to the maximum it does sound like you've kind of chosen the wrong hardware. Why not go with a normal 2060 instead of the super? The performance difference isn't that large. Or you could undervolt (and possibly underclock) the super for noticeable efficiency gains. The PSU is clearly not a standard form factor, and it seems to be a pure 12V PSU, so something like a MeanWell RPS-500-12 might work (the SF variant with a side mounted fan looks like it would be the best fit for your use case, though I expect the fan to be loud enough to be annoying; swapping it for a Noctua is likely a good idea), although its ripple specification is above the ATX spec, which can lead to instability under load (and should really have some sort of filtering circuit added for safety). You would of course need to make your own wire harness for it/adapt the current ones to the output terminals of the new PSU.

Adding an exhaust fan with the added heat load of a more powerful GPU sounds like a good idea btw, are you thinking of using the top vent directly above the GPU? Seems like a good place for either a radial fan with something like a 3D-printed shroud or just a couple of Noctua 40mms or similar small, quiet fans.

Btw, I love how the OEM here has just used one of those off-the-shelf LCD controller boards and mounted it inside the housing. Too bad none of the other inputs are exposed though.

niko78

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Mar 5, 2020
Well, if you're uncomfortable running your PSU that close to the maximum it does sound like you've kind of chosen the wrong hardware. Why not go with a normal 2060 instead of the super? The performance difference isn't that large. Or you could undervolt (and possibly underclock) the super for noticeable efficiency gains. The PSU is clearly not a standard form factor, and it seems to be a pure 12V PSU, so something like a MeanWell RPS-500-12 might work (the SF variant with a side mounted fan looks like it would be the best fit for your use case, though I expect the fan to be loud enough to be annoying; swapping it for a Noctua is likely a good idea), although its ripple specification is above the ATX spec, which can lead to instability under load (and should really have some sort of filtering circuit added for safety). You would of course need to make your own wire harness for it/adapt the current ones to the output terminals of the new PSU.

Adding an exhaust fan with the added heat load of a more powerful GPU sounds like a good idea btw, are you thinking of using the top vent directly above the GPU? Seems like a good place for either a radial fan with something like a 3D-printed shroud or just a couple of Noctua 40mms or similar small, quiet fans.

Btw, I love how the OEM here has just used one of those off-the-shelf LCD controller boards and mounted it inside the housing. Too bad none of the other inputs are exposed though.
Big thank you for your advice, I see that you are very prepared!
I purchased this Game AIO for display 2k - 144hz , already knowing that I would replace the low performance video card (GTX 1650)
if I have to replace the power supply, at this point, I will choose a more performing video card ... (even with the RTX 2060 video card the power supply is just enough/limit)
The PSU currently installed is a model made ad hoc by FSP, it is very thin (36mm)
My fear is the heat .... I had seen an alternative to the MeanWell RPS produced by TDK-Lambda and released this month...: LINK: https://www.us.tdk-lambda.com/ftp/specs/cus600m.pdf
The problem is always the heating / space factor, or the space that is insufficient to dissipate all that heat.
If I want to install an additional fan, I have no more space .... I am forced to connect an external PSU + an internal card that powers the hardware and separates the output energy
Can you give me some advice to feed from the outside?

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Big thank you for your advice, I see that you are very prepared!
I purchased this Game AIO for display 2k - 144hz , already knowing that I would replace the low performance video card (GTX 1650)
if I have to replace the power supply, at this point, I will choose a more performing video card ... (even with the RTX 2060 video card the power supply is just enough/limit)
The PSU currently installed is a model made ad hoc by FSP, it is very thin (36mm)
My fear is the heat .... I had seen an alternative to the MeanWell RPS produced by TDK-Lambda and released this month...: LINK: https://www.us.tdk-lambda.com/ftp/specs/cus600m.pdf
The problem is always the heating / space factor, or the space that is insufficient to dissipate all that heat.
If I want to install an additional fan, I have no more space .... I am forced to connect an external PSU + an internal card that powers the hardware and separates the output energy
Can you give me some advice to feed from the outside?
That unit looks okay for the most part, but it has a ripple rating of 240mV, which is so far above the 150mV ATX spec that I wouldn't trust it to run stable or even to not damage components over time. You would need a filtering circuit to use it, which you (just barely) don't with the MeanWell. 600W is also massively overkill - that's enough for a 2080Ti and then some, even when counting your 45W display.

Is there any space where the PSU sits, or are you completely limited to 36mm? If so I believe you'll struggle to find anything that will fit. Though judging by the shape of the case it should be wider around the inner/right part of the PSU, which ought to mean a 3*5" footprint PSU like the MW might fit there (unless my eyeball judgements of the current PSU's size is way off).

Where were you planning to put the fan? As I said, the opening in the case directly above the GPU looks like the perfect place for an exhaust fan, either a radial/blower or two small (40mm?) axial fans. And unless you get a massively oversized GPU, which would be rather silly, it shouldn't interfere (at least not the axial fans) with either the GPU or PSU. I m of course assuming the PSU will go into the spot where the current PSU sits.

As for external power, there are very few units available above 330W, but @guryhwa makes 500W modded Dell bricks of very good quality. Search for G-unique on the forums here and you'll find a thread.

niko78

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Mar 5, 2020
That unit looks okay for the most part, but it has a ripple rating of 240mV, which is so far above the 150mV ATX spec that I wouldn't trust it to run stable or even to not damage components over time. You would need a filtering circuit to use it, which you (just barely) don't with the MeanWell. 600W is also massively overkill - that's enough for a 2080Ti and then some, even when counting your 45W display.

Is there any space where the PSU sits, or are you completely limited to 36mm? If so I believe you'll struggle to find anything that will fit. Though judging by the shape of the case it should be wider around the inner/right part of the PSU, which ought to mean a 3*5" footprint PSU like the MW might fit there (unless my eyeball judgements of the current PSU's size is way off).

Where were you planning to put the fan? As I said, the opening in the case directly above the GPU looks like the perfect place for an exhaust fan, either a radial/blower or two small (40mm?) axial fans. And unless you get a massively oversized GPU, which would be rather silly, it shouldn't interfere (at least not the axial fans) with either the GPU or PSU. I m of course assuming the PSU will go into the spot where the current PSU sits.

As for external power, there are very few units available above 330W, but @guryhwa makes 500W modded Dell bricks of very good quality. Search for G-unique on the forums here and you'll find a thread.
Thanks again for your advice, really useful ..
here is an example of the available space with the new video card installed (Palit GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER GP OC)
The space for a new feeding is indicated in the areas blue (max height 43mm) and pink (max 35mm height)
I did a simulation to install an additional fan...
I am very confused and undecided ?... everything is tight, I am probably forced to buy a new external power supply!
thanks again for your advice!