New S4M 'headless' build question

saf34

Case Bender
Original poster
Oct 24, 2019
Hi Guys, super excited to be doing my first SFF build. Just bought all the goodies (and watched everything Josh from NFC ever filmed...) Can't wait!

I have one question left to solve though. I want to be able to take the SFF away with me and ideally use it through my Macbook Air screen. I'm thinking screen-sharing. But how to network them?

Here's where I got to: enable Remote Desktop on my Windows 10 SFF. Download client app on my Macbook Air. Then I need a quick and dirty network solution (no internet) to connect over. I was thinking of using a hosted wifi network. So I got that all set up. But I can't seem to even ping my Windows 10 machine as it's 'behind' the virtual router.

So. Any other ideas? Never used a crossover cable (and I'd have to buy a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter for the Mac Air). I could buy a portable screen, but I really like the idea of the headless build.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
Stewart

saf34

Case Bender
Original poster
Oct 24, 2019
For anyone who stumbles across this in the future: in the end I decided to just use my iPad and Duet software (which I already have). It turns out, once it's set up it will happily load up automatically - meaning it essentially can work as a portable monitor. And I'm not a gamer, so the 60Hz isn't an issue for me.

It'll be pretty cool to be able to have an iPad with one neat USB cable to the S4M (brickless). So just a two cable system - yes, I'm a neat freak. If you pay for Duet you can have the iPad wireless too. I might try that out later on.

I'll probably post a few pics of my S4M when put together. But it's a super-easy build, and I'm not modding - so nothing to get too excited about! Just another following Josh's great example.