Need some help regarding a DAN A4- r3

Arc_Lag

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jul 2, 2019
First off, Hi everyone!

I've been lurking alot on the forums, checking threads taking in all sorts of info and it sure is a blast!
This time however, I'm in need of some help :(

You see, some time ago. I was cleaning my room when something very frustrating happened.

(I'm dying inside whilst sending these, believe me.)

During my:

an epiphany struck my head!
I could message Mr, Hansen and ask for replacement parts
(which will be sure to drain my wallet a lot which I would preferably avoid)

Or I could go full, and I mean hard-on rambo with sandpaper, spray painting and all that sorts of stuff to get an entirely new colour on there!
What do you think would be wise?

If you think I should go rambo, could you give me a few insights on how to handle spray painting something like this? I'm aware of safety procedures such as gas masks etc etc,
but what made doubt this idea was my lack of skill considering the application of spray paint on metal. As far as I know, there are a lot of processes that go in to painting on metal
such a pre coat, another form of coat which lets the paint stick on and finally you can spray paint on it (??? please do correct me as I've got no idea what I'm talking about)

I'm no stranger to danger and I'm willing to gamble if it can save me a lot of money!

Thank you for your time!

Have a good one!

Reactions: ignsvn

iksretep

Trash Compacter
Oct 21, 2016
My suggestion would be to find a powder coating place that deals with small jobs for a reasonable setup fee ... from experience - I've spent nearly as much time/money trying to paint aluminum myself as it would be to powder coat, and I was never happy with the results. If you go with powder coating, you'll also end up with a bit more durable finish so scuffs, and minor scratches won't be an issue. Keep in mind the quality/thickness of the coat though, so it doesn't interfere with design/assembly of the case.

I'm currently eyeing the V6 Ncase M1, and one of the SM570/580 to add to my "given away" V5 Ncase M1 and current gaming rig in a Cerberus case. I know if I go with the V6 M1 I will most likely custom powder coat it, so I'll be sure to share that experience as I have not documented nor had any pics of the V5 before I handed it off to a buddy. If I'm not mistaken Ncase is similar in finish to the DAN A4 (anodized aluminum) which looks gorgeous, but you've gotta be extra cautious with it. If you want, ask @KSliger about custom powder coating ... I know they're about to offer custom colors for their lineup of cases for a fee, but I'm not sure if they offer that as a stand alone service.

Reactions: Arc_Lag

Arc_Lag

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jul 2, 2019
My suggestion would be to find a powder coating place that deals with small jobs for a reasonable setup fee ... from experience - I've spent nearly as much time/money trying to paint aluminum myself as it would be to powder coat, and I was never happy with the results. If you go with powder coating, you'll also end up with a bit more durable finish so scuffs, and minor scratches won't be an issue. Keep in mind the quality/thickness of the coat though, so it doesn't interfere with design/assembly of the case.

I'm currently eyeing the V6 Ncase M1, and one of the SM570/580 to add to my "given away" V5 Ncase M1 and current gaming rig in a Cerberus case. I know if I go with the V6 M1 I will most likely custom powder coat it, so I'll be sure to share that experience as I have not documented nor had any pics of the V5 before I handed it off to a buddy. If I'm not mistaken Ncase is similar in finish to the DAN A4 (anodized aluminum) which looks gorgeous, but you've gotta be extra cautious with it. If you want, ask @KSliger about custom powder coating ... I know they're about to offer custom colors for their lineup of cases for a fee, but I'm not sure if they offer that as a stand alone service.
Thanks for the detailed explanation!
I don't think I'll be able to arrange something with KSliger as the person/company probably lives in the US.. (I'm an EU citizen) But thanks to your heads-up about powder coating, I think I'll be able to find something close by!

Thanks!

Reactions: iksretep