Concept Necere's concept/ideation thread

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
But then that side-to-side airflow really limits how you can build it out; you'd pretty much have to do a short GPU full water loop. Also with the PSU over the motherboard you wouldn't have a great view for a window. For a commercial case, it's really got to be something that will work for most people, and not just the small niche of SFF water coolers.

Never a real fan of windows on my computer chassis (nor my OS)...

Most definitively an Inception product (niche of a niche of a niche)...!

The tubing runs would be a PITA, probably would need hard tubed...

Just the first thought I had while looking over the image I referenced earlier...

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
So something like this:

You could do it for about the same height x depth as the M1, it would just have to be a little wider to provide clearance for the side intake fan. I don't think an ATX PSU makes much sense though.

Hm sure, but maybe with the fan moved up slightly and made made 140mm, so the case is a little longer. That way there's more room for cable management -- I'm thinking the shroud could wrap around the PSU a little and have extra clearance between the mobo and the PSU for cable routing. And also you'd get clearance for a C14S, which I think will still perform better than the U9S despite the limited airflow clearance. And it'd be nice if the SSDs had the cables facing the other way. I think the shroud implementation would be key in a case like this.

Again, it's not optimized entirely for SFF, it's optimized for window + SFF + airflow.

lawney

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2018
Another take on 20L mATX:

Trying out ideas to get this layout looking a little more premium, because the previous version really wasn't. Tricky when you need to have that front open for ventilation.

Also incorporating a basement to hide drives and cable clutter, something you rarely see in SFF cases. Figure that makes some sense for a case with a window.

The impeded full-atx support of the original version of this case is brilliant and should be available on the market (as there are so few matx boards available, particularly if one is building a workstation with server parts). If the basement is introduced, would it be removable to get that impeded atx support back?

I also really love the styling that would look at home in an 80's cyberpunk/retrofuturism movie. It would also be pretty cool to see a slot loaded optical drive in one of those grille slots.

Reactions: SeeFiFo

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Today's concept:

This is a thin mini-ITX-based design, with a window showing off the GPU (short cards only).

I wouldn't mind trying to approach this concept. Heck, I'd even try making it out of metal (as best as I could).

One big change I would make with it is add support for full (reference) length GPUs, which appears to be just as a good fit in this concept without needing to change the case dimensions. The additional hard drive and PSU options still remain if you go for a mini card.

Reactions: Obelisk

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
The impeded full-atx support of the original version of this case is brilliant and should be available on the market (as there are so few matx boards available, particularly if one is building a workstation with server parts). If the basement is introduced, would it be removable to get that impeded atx support back?

I also really love the styling that would look at home in an 80's cyberpunk/retrofuturism movie. It would also be pretty cool to see a slot loaded optical drive in one of those grille slots.
The idea I had was just to have a removable plate sectioning off the basement area. So taking it out wouldn't be a problem.

I experimented with slim ODD support, but the drive would conflict with the motherboard anywhere except at the very top or in the basement area. The case would have to be a little taller for the top location as well, pushing it over the sacrosanct 20L SFF limit :p

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I wouldn't mind trying to approach this concept. Heck, I'd even try making it out of metal (as best as I could).

One big change I would make with it is add support for full (reference) length GPUs, which appears to be just as a good fit in this concept without needing to change the case dimensions. The additional hard drive and PSU options still remain if you go for a mini card.
The PSU would need to be moved outside the case and the front I/O moved, but yeah, otherwise it could be done.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
So here's something else I've been playing with the last few days:

Specs:
  • Dimensions: 240x140x310mm, 10.4L
  • CPU cooler: 120mm AIO
  • GPU: reference-sized
  • PSU: SFX
  • Drives: 2x 2.5"
  • Fans: 1x 120 front, 1x 120mm top

Room for clean tubing runs...?

Maybe move SSD mount to the left, to that open gap area...? That should open up some airflow for any back-mounted M.2 SSDs...?

Looks like a great SFF chassis for a workstation with a blower GPU...! But would it allow end-mounted PCI power connections (like on the AMD Radeon Pro WX9100)...?

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Well, that's different. Don't think I ever saw the PSU mounted like that before.

Agreed on moving the SSDs to the open gap, for more use of the interior space. Also, I can see a custom watercool loop working here with a short PCB card :)

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Well, that's different. Don't think I ever saw the PSU mounted like that before.

Seems like decent idea as the AIO over the VRMs should keep them cooler than otherwise.

I almost wonder if the GPU would get better airflow if it were rotated about its long axis so that the fan was on the inside, with a larger distance between it and a surface. Obviously its not as pretty unless you have a nice backplate though.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Room for clean tubing runs...?
It would be tight, no doubt. The motherboard-GPU distance makes it pretty much 1U as far as pump/block height (or CPU cooler, for that matter) goes. So tubing would have to go where it can fit.

Maybe move SSD mount to the left, to that open gap area...? That should open up some airflow for any back-mounted M.2 SSDs...?
I don't see airflow for rear-mounted M.2 drives to be a problem. There's still a gap between the 2.5" drives and the motherboard, and the top fan overlaps the board a little so it can pull air up through it. Indeed, moving the drives to the space below the PSU and moving the motherboard over to the side panel to close the gap might result in worse cooling for back-mounted M.2, since the fan won't be pulling up as much air.

Still, there is some value in eliminating the rear-mounted drives and moving the motherboard over for more room for the CPU block, tubing, RAM, etc. The downside of moving the drives below the PSU is they would take up space that could be used for a second AIO with a short GPU (or a full custom loop, for that matter).

@Necere thats nice! Whats inside the "bottom chamber?" Or is that just space for the motherboard to be extended down into?
Yeah, motherboard and GPU extend all the way to the floor.

Agreed on moving the SSDs to the open gap, for more use of the interior space. Also, I can see a custom watercool loop working here with a short PCB card :)
Right, dual 120mm rads is possible using a short card. Though as mentioned, moving the drives to the space below the GPU would get in the way of that.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
It's very nice, it looks like a more air-cooling oriented C4-SFX (but has a completely different internal layout).

I agree that the PSU placement is interesting but maybe you might want to have the PSU fan at the bottom because that is the last place you want to see dust to get in. Also, the PSU will benefit from the front intake fan. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
It's very nice, it looks like an air-cooling oriented C4-SFX (but has a completely different internal layout).

I agree that the PSU placement is interesting but maybe you might have the PSU fan at the bottom because that is the last place you want to see dust to get in. Also, the PSU will benefit from the front intake fan. Thoughts?
Dust filters can be mounted on the PSU as well as both fans, so it's not a major concern. Nevertheless, there's nothing preventing the user from flipping the PSU.

Reactions: Metroversal

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
would it allow end-mounted PCI power connections (like on the AMD Radeon Pro WX9100)...?
Not at the current size while keeping the front fan. I thought about making a long version (+30mm) for better AIB card support (also potentially SFX-L support). That would add about a liter to the volume.

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Specs:

Oh wow! I love it! This much functionality in only 10.4L with adequate dust control and a window, amazing work. The only thing is, I would flip the PSU to intake filtered air, but then there may not be enough air for the GPU and AIO. Therefore, why not include a second intake fan next to the motherboard? There's a bit of empty space there, would be perfect for a 120mm if you can fit it? If not, maybe make the case a bit longer to fit a 120mm, that will also give extra room for cable management and more clearance for air to reach the GPU intake, and allow for longer GPUs for those crazy enough to put an open-air GPU in there (some people really prioritize looks over performance).

This is my favorite design that you've shown in the thread so far. My current M1 build would fit perfectly in it, right now if I want a window for my M1 I'd have to switch to an air cooler, this will let me keep my AIO.

Last edited:

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
@Necere About the last design: Wouldn't it be better to have the PSU on the front, a 240mm rad+fan assembly on the top, probably with space for another 120mm rad+fan behind the GPU? Sure it would make the case deeper (longer?) but I'm sure you can save some from the height to make up for it. The PSU can be oriented with the fan facing the inside to have a solid front panel (or not, if you intentionally want to keep the perforated panel).

I would draw it but you're quicker at that anyway :D

Reactions: SashaLag

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018

Specs:

Oh man! The aesthetics of this concept is a marvel! Really love this case! But I quote @theGryphon :

@Necere About the last design: Wouldn't it be better to have the PSU on the front, a 240mm rad+fan assembly on the top, probably with space for another 120mm rad+fan behind the GPU? Sure it would make the case deeper (longer?) but I'm sure you can save some from the height to make up for it. The PSU can be oriented with the fan facing the inside to have a solid front panel (or not, if you intentionally want to keep the perforated panel).

I would draw it but you're quicker at that anyway :D

I hate noise so a 240mm radiator is a must for me. theGryphon's idea is better suited for my needs. If you manage to make a case with the space of 240mm on top and PSU on front to preserve the grill I would definitely consider it!

Brude27

Master of Cramming
Jun 21, 2018
I love this recent concept @Necere! The front mesh panel and I/O clash a bit, but that internal layout is something I'd be very interested in.