Enclosure Ncase M1 v6 or NZXT H1 for my build?

MikeTech

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 8, 2020
Hi everyone, trying to piece together my first actual SSF for personal use / gaming / streaming. So far I know what processor I want (9900k) + 32gb ram, and an NVME SSD.

The issue: I need someone with more experience in both cases. The H1 seems like to be a better value, and it seems to do ok with the stock cooler for the CPU, are we able to fit a GPU like the MSI 2080 super Sea hawk (with an attached 120mm AIO) in the case as well?

Same thing for Ncase, it is what the heart truly desires, yet everyone is saying you need a 240mm AIO for that case for some reason, and I know that I can fit the before mentioned gpu as Long as I choose a 120mm AIO for cpu cooling (to be mounted like a 240 on the side), but everyone else seems to agree that it won't be sufficient for the cpu at that rate.

As you can already tell, im not that keen on doing a custom loop. I wanna keep the warranty on everything that is being purchased, so not that keen on pulling a cpu apart (plus the MSI Seahawk atm is a bloody bargain for a 2080 super). Cheers for you help everyone.

Gingerbeer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2019
That's a tough choice - I love my M1 - it's the first sff case I've had that doesn't have any niggling shortcomings that I can't get past- but, if I was buying now, the H1 does have some appeal; although I'd prefer a another vented panel instead of the rather pointless glass one (hey look, a niggle).

Is there room for a second AIO in the H1 - I didn't think there was.

I gotta question your choice of CPU too - if you're considering buying new and definitely going Intel, the 10700K would be a match for the 9900k on the newer LGA1200 platform - I wouldn't be spending that kind of money to buy into last gen.

Reactions: MikeTech

MikeTech

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 8, 2020
I was reconsidering my cpu, it was long foretold that I would need a 9900k coz everything I do. But I am looking forward to the 10th gen intel cpus, but I was gonna wait a bit till some actual reviews come out. I haven't been in ht building game for a while now (last one was my personal old rig back in 2013), But what I am waiting on to her tho, are the new cpus better in temps than the old ones? the 9900k was very famous for having a ridiculous amount of heat on it's IHS, even other people went as far as dilidding and liquid metal application. I would consider liquid metal for the IHS and the AIO contact, but not comfortable with dilidding

@Gingerbeer do u think the new cpus will have better thermals, if so then it should be defs more suitable to go 120 AIO and 120 gpu in the Ncase (that thing is sexy)

I honestly do not know if there is room for a hybrid gpu AIO in the H1, I was hoping someone that built in it would tell me.

Gingerbeer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2019
I'm not expecting huge differences in the 10 series - they're still on 14nm - I was pointing out that 9900K has no upgrade path on Z390, whereas LGA1200 has the potential for a longer life (although, when Intel finally move below 14nm, I wouldn't be surprised to see them roll out a whole new socket again).

Delidding a 9 series chip, whilst possible, certainly isn't as easy as it was with previous gen CPUs where you could just crack off the IHS wipe it down and scrape off the glue and you're ready to re-TIM. The soldered IHS means the thermal performance is pretty good already and delidding doesn't show anything like the massive returns you'd get on, say a 8700k.

Scraping off the solder can be a risky prospect, but even when done well, people were reporting drops of only a few degrees, which might be worth it if you're pushing a really high 24/7 OC, but pretty pointless for day to day.

I had a look and there isn't room for a second AIO in the H1 - the case is pretty packed - the only space is at the bottom, but that's where all your IO is.

Reactions: MikeTech

MikeTech

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 8, 2020
I totally agree. So many people that posted their dilidding results concluded that basically it wasn't really worth it. Either way I wouldn't want to just void the warranty of a new 500 or $600 processor for 3-4℃ change.

I was really hoping for the 10th series to have better thermals over the 9900 because everyone's main complaint about that chip, it's Thermals. And I know it is too much to ask of it, to get everything I want in such a small package, but the heart wants what the heart wants.

On face value the H1 presents the best value out of all of them, but as you mentioned, it has no room for the second AIO. The only reason I really want that gpu with a 120mm coz it seems more than efficient to do the job and after a good amount of streaming / gaming it would overheat or die on me.

I also found some 2080supers that come pre-waterblocked, issue: too much unicorn vomit on all of them. I don't mind a bit of it to remind the person that sees this that yes, this was my own build, but I want something that I can carry around, at will look professional and help me promote my brand, and also all needs custom loops which I'm no expert in.

Another case for consideration: Lian Li Tu 150 → that one has absolutely no rad support??? its bigger than the Ncase and the h1, but no rad support whatsoever???

Im just greedy in what I want. ?

MikeTech

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 8, 2020
this guy seems to have done with a 12mm for the cpu, but in a dual fan config...

I wonder if this solves the het issue to a certain degree...

MikeTech

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 8, 2020
correction: he seems to have used a 140mm AIO up at the front. I still wonder if this would be enough. My train of thought that it works on the H1, maybe it does here too?? He did have to drill custom hole for it tho... I wouldn't mind doing something like this that would be low cost modding to the case.