Log NCase M1 v6 aircooled: Ryzen9 7900X + RTX 3080 + 3.5 HDD

fleischverpackung

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 28, 2019
Hi all!

This build is the workstation I am using at home when I am not at the studio. I need a fast multi core cpu, a beefy gpu and multiple storage options. I also want it so be quiet. Nothing more embarrassing in front of the apple guys, than if you go ITX on pc and have a machine that sounds like it is going to take off like a rocket. 🖖

The original machine with CPU and motherboard is back from 2019. I switched around a lot with the Noctua coolers, fans and cooling layouts. I always setup the classic (not good) airflow with bottom in and rear out, so that I can make use of the dustfilters. And wanting to have an HDD makes things just more complicated.. 😬

From a small Noctua NH-U9S (that was just miserable) to a kind of Vintage NH-C12P (that allowed for HDD install with the ncase mount) to the C14s. Because it is bigger. With a 140mm fan below and a 150mm fan on top the cooling is really good. Almost dead silent under full load (a few feet away). I switched to the slim 120mm fan on topto be able to close the case. Cutting out would look cool but what when I want to switch motherboards? 🤔

I believe my ncase has reached its final form.
almost.

I designed a PSU + HDD bracket, that holds the HDD on the height of the mainboard. This allows for a large 140mm fan below the cooler. (in contrary to the SFX standard mount position). The PSU sits closer to the GPU. Some custom short cablesmake it look cleaner, but it would also work with the original cables. I also use those sketchy adapters!

Looking good so far, GPU is finally silent (asus TUF wtf?!) Still waiting for a power cable and the last print with some minior adjustments. Then I will finish and clean her up. And post some pictures.

Thank you for reading!

Last edited:

fleischverpackung

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 28, 2019
tried to make some nicer pictures :)

I ordered a new power cable and might get some custom sata cables.
If I route them under the psu and over the front I could finally clean her up.

fleischverpackung

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Sep 28, 2019
Hi all,

I upgraded to Ryzen9 7900X. I had to change my slim 120mm Noctua fan for the large 140mm version, and ramp up my fan profile.
Taking the pretty outdated case layout into account, I find this still went pretty well.

ASUS 670XE-I
Corsair SF750
Ryzen9 7900X @5.7GHz
2x32GB G.Skill Trident 3000Mhz @ 30-40-40-96
2xNvme
1xSATA SSD
1x HDD 3.5

I did a negative curve correction on the CPU voltage and undervolted my RAM. For comparison, I also did a CPU undervolt with negative Cpu voltage offset, but this limited cores from boosting to highter clocks and benchmarks were significantly worse. Precision Boost Overdrive with negative Curve correction turned out to be the best option for high clocks and lowered temperatures.

I used CPU-Z and Windows task manager to put load on specific cores and kept track of how high each one boosts and how much voltage it needs to do that. Then I ordered them by quality. 0 = best, less voltage for high clock, 3 is worst with most voltage for low clock.

It runs at 63° in idle, and I set the max Temp limit to 90°. No power limit, because it is already pretty limited by the temperature itself, and won't pull more than 85W under full load.

I used this data as starting point for my core offsets. Less undervolt for the cood cores, more undervolt for the bad cores. This limits the max core of the bad cores during normal work, but lets the good ones boost to their max multiplier. Less undervolt gives higher clocks.

Under full multicore load, its the other way around. CCD1 with the good cores and lower undervolt gets hotter faster, which limits its cores to ~4.3Ghz. Whereas CCD2 with the bad, but more undervolted cores runs at ~4.5 Ghz. More undervolt gives higher clocks.

Because all the clocks aboves are limited by temperature, I did a RAM undervolt. This had the biggest impact on stability and speed. (In a positive way). The RAM comes with an overclocking profile, which uses 1.4V for the timings. I managed to run them stable at 1.36V, which lowered temperatures again, and let the CPU constantly boost around 5.6Ghz.

Yep, my sidepanel won't close ATM, because the large Noctua fan on top of the C14 is 3mm too high.
I designed a spacer with integrated sidepanel clips ( originally by @Bglobber ), this should do the trick! Will share on thingiverse when finished, and credit everybody when done.

Thank you for reading!

Reactions: BaK