Log Question about NCase M1 cpu cooler

VCCaden

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Dec 14, 2020
Hi everyone!
I just ordered a Ncase M1 to use some hand me down parts from a friend. I’m a bit of a beginner so I have a couple questions. I’ll be getting a GTX 970, Intel i5 4690k, corsair vengeance ram (high profile) and several hdd’s. I want to put that in the case, from my understanding if I use the side bracket for the hdd’s and have the higher profile ram the cooler for the cpu can get in the way. Ideally, I wanted to get the Noctua NH-C14S, as that seems to be highly rated on the forums but there’s conflicting info online of it fitting with the hdd’s and the high profile ram. Has anyone set up the case like I’m proposing, and if so, what cooler did you choose? I’m hoping to future proof a bit with the cooler as well since I will eventually be upgrading the i5 4690k to a ryzen 5000 series.

Also, some posts mention motherboards making cooler placement difficult, if anyone has a 1150 socket mini itx motherboard, what board did you choose and what cooler did you put on it?

Thanks in advance for the help, sorry for my beginner questions. :)

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
You most likely will not be able to fit the NH-C14S and use the HDD bracket. This has nothing to do with RAM, but with how far forward the C14S extends in the case. I'd recommend a different cooler if you're intent on using 3.5" HDDs. The NH-U9S is a safe choice.

Also, I'm not sure what you had in mind, but the M1 can fit a maximum of two 3.5" HDD with the included hardware.

Reactions: VCCaden

VCCaden

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Dec 14, 2020
You most likely will not be able to fit the NH-C14S and use the HDD bracket. This has nothing to do with RAM, but with how far forward the C14S extends in the case. I'd recommend a different cooler if you're intent on using 3.5" HDDs. The NH-U9S is a safe choice.

Also, I'm not sure what you had in mind, but the M1 can fit a maximum of two 3.5" HDD with the included hardware.

Thanks Nevere, do you know if the side mount bracket for the HDD gets smaller if I go from a 3.5" hdd drive to a 2.5" hdd drive? I'm wondering if thats a way to gain another inch of width for the cpu cooler?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Yes they do, by about 30mm (the difference between a 3.5" HDD and 2.5"). This is more than enough for the C14S, however something to be aware of is that neither of the C14S's standard 140mm fans will be usable. The lower fan will be blocked by the PSU, while the upper fan makes the cooler too wide for the case. You will have to use a slim 140mm fan on top and/or a 120mm fan underneath.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
If you use a 2.5" SSD, there's also the front panel mount.
I think you can put one 2.5'' SSD right behind the front panel and then another one on the inside front panel right next to the PSU too.
Regarding the CPU cooler, Thermalright Silver Arrow 130 is also a good candidate. Choosing a down blowing NH-C14S or a tower type cooler (SA130) really depends on how one wants to setup the internal airflow.

Example SA130 setup:-

KJWflippin

Efficiency Noob
Dec 16, 2020
I think you can put one 2.5'' SSD right behind the front panel and then another one on the inside front panel right next to the PSU too.

Just to add on this, I was able to fit 2 Samsung 860 Evo SSDs behind the front panel with 0 gap. I had to use a 90 degree and straight SATA cable as well is get a little creative with the power cables ( I would recommend 2 separate cables or a custom one with the plugs right on top of each other) but it fits without any panel gap.

D

Deleted member 23607

Regarding the CPU cooler, Thermalright Silver Arrow 130 is also a good candidate. Choosing a down blowing NH-C14S or a tower type cooler (SA130) really depends on how one wants to setup the internal airflow.

Example SA130 setup:-

Actually, you can fit not one but two(!) SSDs as long as they are 7mm thick. Older SSDs and 2.5" HDDs are 9.5mm thick so you can only slap one in. And that is correct, another "dual mount" point on the inner side of the front panel. You might encounter some fitment issues if you use a side radiator but if it's just a single SSD there should be absolutely no issues.

VCCaden

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Dec 14, 2020
Hi Everyone, I'm going to use the bracket for 2 3.5" hdd on the side of the case. The two coolers I'm considering are the Noctua U9S and the Noctua L12S, does anyone have an opinion on one vs another? I was thinking with the two drives in the way the U9S tower cooler might now be able to suck in enough air?

D

Deleted member 23607

Hi Everyone, I'm going to use the bracket for 2 3.5" hdd on the side of the case. The two coolers I'm considering are the Noctua U9S and the Noctua L12S, does anyone have an opinion on one vs another? I was thinking with the two drives in the way the U9S tower cooler might now be able to suck in enough air?
U9S with a rear intake unless you're running 30XX FE.

Reactions: rfarmer

VCCaden

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Dec 14, 2020
U9S with a rear intake unless you're running 30XX FE.
Thanks for the reply, I'm going to be upgrading from a gtx 970 to a rtx 3080 fe...what did you mean unless? And by rear intake I assume you mean having the fan oriented where its pulling air from the back of the case through the cooler and onto the psu/3.5" hdd area?

D

Deleted member 23607

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to be upgrading from a gtx 970 to a rtx 3080 fe...what did you mean unless? And by rear intake I assume you mean having the fan oriented where its pulling air from the back of the case through the cooler and onto the psu/3.5" hdd area?
Yes. However any 30XX series Founders Edition is going to be refeeding hot air to the CPU... L12S might be a wiser choice with the 3080 FE.