NCASE M1 - R7 1700 Build

parneshr

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
This was my first itx build and second AMD build (first being a x2 3200). The build is to function as a home linux workstation and will replace an i5-2500 m-ATX build. The parts list is here https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/VBHVKZ.

I bought the MB, RAM and CPU from NewEgg for a decent deal and they came through with no issues. Also, these were things which I couldn't get in Oz at the time (MB) or cheaper than here. I pulled two 3.5 inch HDDs (4T and 2T) and the 960 from my old build. I decided to put two case fans in, one under PSU/HDD as this was going tight space and the other one on the bracket on top of the CPU. I wanted NOCTUA NF-P12 PWM fans but could not find them in stock anywhere where I live so I decided to go for the industrial fans fans which were on special.

The build was uneventful but did take a bit of time. My cable management isn't the best but it is adequate. I plan on replacing the SATA cables with shorted ones and possibly getting a sleeved PSU cable set as well. One thing I do question is there has to be a better way to get power to the MB and other peripherals then using ATX connectors. These are bulky and difficult to work with in a small space.

On power-up I didn't get any video. Thinking I had stuffed up somewhere. I took the HDDs and fan bracket off and started doing debugging. Turns would that the DVI cable was loose on the monitor end. DOH! Luckily no major teardown had occurred at that point.

Once the system boot up, I installed the new bios and proceeded to try the XMP profile for my RAM. Not being Samsung B-die (as far as I am aware), I wasn't expecting to get to 3200 with 32 Gb but had no issues.

Next was installation of Ubuntu 17.04. Again no issues except couldn't get the Internet to work. Turns out there is a DNS issue but once that was solved, I could update etc. The fans were a bit loud at idle so next up I installed lm-sensors and setup fancontrol. Wasn't expecting things to work but I was surprised once again. Sensors were reporting temps in mid-late 30s for CPU. The system temp was 117 degrees and obviously broken.

I setup a fan curve and now the fans are silent with CPU temps at 43 degrees. I ran Prime 95 for about 5 minutes and temps went up to 56 degrees. I will run more stress testing later after I overclock to 3.6 Ghz. Now to read up on p-state overclocking.

Things to do:
1) Take some photos and upload to the tread.
2) Install windows 10 on another partition for VM access and occasional gaming.
3) Overclock to 3.6 Ghz
4) More stress testing
5) See how the temps are under load and warmer weather and decide whether I need a better cooler. I will change cables at that point as well.

Reactions: Pelican and 3lfk1ng