Log Ncase M1, first SFF build

KJWflippin

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 16, 2020
Hey everyone, new to posting here but I have been lurking for a while now. Ill start off with some of my background and experience (which is not much so please correct me if I use the wrong terms for anything) before going into my build and why I chose what I did. I built my first gaming PC sometime around 2011-2012 with the help of a friend, It was nothing fancy and I did not have a clue as to what I was doing. I ended up with an i7-3770 on a Micro-ATX mobo, paired with some cheap AMD GPU that was inside a full tower case lol. Luckily I had no glass panel so no one could see that I was only utilizing 30% of the case. Over the years I have upgraded the GPU, added a cooler when the stock one was starting to fail, increased the RAM and installed SSDs. Basically whatever I could do to keep it running somewhat well and it worked fine enough for light gaming for nearly 10 years. I have been using my PC more and more for gaming, especially since cross play is becoming more common and decided it was finally time to overhaul this.

After doing a ton of research I stumbled across Optimum Tech and the Ncase and new that was what I wanted to do. Originally I planned an AMD build, then intel, then I decided to wait for the Ryzen 5000 CPUs and was set on that until I discovered the joys of scalpers. I was going to wait it out since the old PC is still running fine but after seeing some Black Friday deals I pulled the trigger the trigger on an i7-10700k and MSI Z490i Unify mobo. The deals saved me a couple hundred bucks and dropped my stress levels a few notches because I was really over analyzing the RAM that would be needed for an AMD CPU. I already had 2 almost new SSDs that I reused from my old PC and picked up an M2 drive as well since it was on sale. I am currently reusing my old GPU until my time in the queue comes up for the EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra.

The only major issue I ran into putting this together was the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240mm cooler. Based on all the listed specs I thought it would fit but I failed to factor in the hose bends and there is no way to make it work inside the case. With all the research I did I think I just had a little bit of information overload and thought I remember reading that it would fit on here but I was mistaken. The other problem I ran into was the cable management (which was expected) and I have already ordered PSU cables pslate customs. Once I receive the new GPU I will pull everything apart and swap out the cooler and cables at the same time as the GPU.

Today I received the NH-C14s but am highly debating on returning it and ordering the EK 240mm AIO. With the Arctic cooler I have to hear the fans even ramp up and would not mind having the increased cooling capacity of a liquid cooler (I'm a little worried about what the temps may look like once the 3070 is installed) but I am open to others thoughts and opinions and am not in a rush to install this.

This is currently what I have up and running if anyone wants to see the specifics: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FZc4Bc. Once the new GPU, custom PSU cables, some additional fans, and whatever cooler I decide to use I overhaul this again. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks.

*Just in case any one is curious about the current temps with this set up this is what I've recorded after a couple hours of playing games
CPU Idle: 24C (not a true idle, this is just surfing the internet and downloading/installing programs. I never remember to start the monitor program before letting the computer sit for a while)
CPU Peak: 60C
GPU Peak: 70C (no fans currently installed underneath GPU)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**** Updated 17 January 2021 ****
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PC has had a few revisions since I started it. The CPU cooler was replaced with an EK-AIO 240mm with Noctua fans as intake. A rear fan was added as exhaust and 2 fans were added under the GPU as intake. Cable management quickly became an issue but thankfully my custom cables arrived. To further help with cable management I removed the front IO and also replaced 2 SSDs with a second M.2 drive. I originally planned to use a Corsair 750w PSU but did not want to pay an extra $100 over MSRP for it at the time. I am kicking myself a little now because if I do ending up snagging a 3080 GPU that requires 3 8-pin cables I will need to replace my current PSU as well as order another set of cables. This most likely wont be an issue but I still would of liked to have the extra connector if needed.

The CPU is OC at 4.9ghz and 1.3v. this was the first time I've messed around with that and it's a safe start while I figure out how to improve it.

Idle CPU temps at 25c
Gaming CPU temps around 60c-65c
Prime95 Blend test for 1 hour peaked at 78c
GPU with a mild OC peaks at 68c during gaming.

Here is the updated parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cxTFxc
And a summary if you would rather not click on the link

Mobo:

-EK-AIO 240mm with Noctua A12x25 being used as intake

-MSI MEG z490I Unify

-G.Skill Ripjaws 3200mhz CL16 (32GB)

Storage:

-1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2

-2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2

GPU:

-EVGA 1060 SSC 6GB (will eventually be a 3070FTW3 Ultra)

PSU:

-Silverstone SX700

-Pslatecustoms Custom Cables

Additional Fans:

2x Noctua A12x15 on the bottom being used as intake

1x Noctua A9x14 in the rear of the case for exhaust

And the pictures:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23607

Oh, nice! Just saw your build on PCPP.
I'd say go with the EK-AIO. Your motherboard is the only Z490 ITX board that fits it, luckily, and the 10700K is a toasty chip. You could go with a C14S if you're fine with slightly higher load temps.

Reactions: KJWflippin

KJWflippin

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 16, 2020
I'd say go with the EK-AIO. Your motherboard is the only Z490 ITX board that fits it, luckily, and the 10700K is a toasty chip. You could go with a C14S if you're fine with slightly higher load temps.
Yeah I've already ordered the EK AIO since making this post. While I am sure the C14S will be plenty fine I would rather have a quieter system and not have to deal with a ton of extra fan harnesses all while getting similar, if not cooler temps. I'll hold onto the C14S for now though just in case I run into any issues. If I can find a friend that wants to buy it off me I would like to install both and compare the two just to sate my curiosity.

KJWflippin

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 16, 2020
A little late getting back to you but EK was the way to go. Temps are updated in the first post.