NCASE M1 Planned Setup - Build Check

MAB941009

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
Hello,

I have this build planned out for the release of the NCASE M1 v6. Since I'm new to PC building, feel free to highlight potential problems, suggest changes or give advice.

Also, can/should I apply thermal paste?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($474.99 @ Walmart)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($74.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($119.00 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.39 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A12x15 PWM 55.44 CFM 120 mm Fan ($19.95 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A12x15 PWM 55.44 CFM 120 mm Fan ($19.95 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer - XB271HU bmiprz 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor ($549.99 @ B&H)
Mouse: Logitech - G305 (Black) Wireless Optical Mouse (Purchased For $0.00)
Headphones: Bose - QC35 Headset (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $2098.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-09 18:19 EDT-0400

Last edited:

MAB941009

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
Hello,

I am no expert, but why buy a 2070, when you can have a 2070 super for the same price? ( https://www.newegg.com/zotac-geforce-rtx-2070-super-zt-t20710d-10p/p/N82E16814500472 )

And I don't really know, but would full size fan would work for the bottom of the case? That was kind of my plan, but maybe that is a mistake...

- I should of noted my intention is to pick-up a super variant. The 2070 RTX card listed is a placeholder while partpicker updates their part list.

- By "full size fan", I assume you're referring to the combined size of the two Noctua fans. If so, I am uncertain of the expected result. Many other Ncase M1 builds contain this setup without highlighting major thermal issues; however, some have noted poor ventilation at this rear end. The V6 I think will address this area. Nevertheless, I would like this matter clarified too.

Amonchakai

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2019
OK, I see :)

Regarding the "full size fan", sorry my phrasing was not accurate. I was referring to the fact that you selected slim fans, and I thought there is space for ones with a height of 25mm. But maybe I am wrong.

Last thing I noticed from the part you picked is about the motherboard. I am also considering the same one, but I saw the connector for the front USB type C on that motherboard is a gen 1. And the M1 will expect a gen 2 for the front IO.
So I am also considering buying the Asus ROG Z390 one which have the gen 2 front header connector.

iksretep

Trash Compacter
Oct 21, 2016
When I built my M1 few years ago I quickly learned that having temps in check was key to keeping my machine quiet, after all I wanted to have the M1 sitting next to me on the desk. I ended up with a non-K CPU and an ITX style GPU, because I quickly learned that a K CPU generated more heat and a "full length" GPU ran hot and loud ... and without a custom water loop I wasn't going to achieve the level of quiet I was going for. I know people use their machines for different reasons, but sometimes I game without a headset ...

In my case, wanting to have as quiet of a machine as possible under load, and without going full water, I ended up with a 120mm AIO cooling the CPU and another 120mm AIO cooling the ITX GPU via a homemade bracket. Two Noctua fans on the radiators, and two Noctuas on the bottom. Kept my machine nice and cool, but most importantly - for me - quiet.

Then again that's just my scenario, I'd suggest for you to head to YT ... plenty videos especially from Optimum Tech that focus on M1.

Good luck with your build.

Reactions: MAB941009

EndEffeKt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 23, 2019
I would maybe think about a cpu with a lower overall tdp to keep air cooling easier. Not knowing your use case its hard to judge but maybe a 9700k or a 3700x could be good and cheaper alternatives.

Reactions: MAB941009

EndEffeKt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 23, 2019
I would maybe think about a cpu with a lower overall tdp to keep air cooling easier. Not knowing your use case its hard to judge but maybe a 9700k or a 3700x could be good and cheaper alternatives.

Amonchakai

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2019
Can you provide more detail on how did you handle the cooling of the GPU?
Did you buy a regular GPU waterblock ? If so, what kind of pump are you using?
Or are you using something like a NZXT G10?

Last edited:

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
U9s + 9900k = Jet engine, since you will overclock that bad boy. C14s minimum, but even then... As stated, optimumtech has a 9900k and shows his struggles with it (undetvolt and no aggresive overclock on even his 8700k +u9s, let alone a 9900k.
Gpu temps as general rule of thumb is watching reviews and also setting a custom fan curve to let the gpu go to 80c and fans lower. The windforce is big and the 12x25 fans help him to stay quiet. Best silence is a strix or Aorus and remove the fan shroud. In tha way you have the biggest heatsink + biggest fans bcs of the 12x25 fans.
As stated before, look at the mobo if it has usb c header for the i/O.
If you shop for that kind of monitor, look at the Aorus AD27QD, which I own. Or the newer brother with 165hz, but that one is curved. Same price, but can't be beaten for picture quality in comparison for that price + the on screen menu is amazing! Cant do without OSD now.
You already have the bose? For that price, there are better headphones for 3d imaging in games and you don't need the noise cancelling at home.
Lastly, I got a Windows pro (not retail though but for that price?!) for 12 bucks. Saves you a lot of money if you just get a oem key.
Lastly

Reactions: fatpolomanjr

fatpolomanjr

Caliper Novice
Aug 20, 2019
Best silence is a strix or Aorus and remove the fan shroud. In tha way you have the biggest heatsink + biggest fans bcs of the 12x25 fans.

Do the heatsinks on the Strix or Auros perform better than an accelero iii with all the vrm heatsinks in place? Or were you recommending those so OP doesn't have to spend more on an aftermarket gpu cooler? I've got a C14s on the way, along with some 12x25 fans and an accelero iii I plan to use on a 1080 Ti, and like OP I am new to Ncase M1 (coming from a Dan A4).

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
What
Do the heatsinks on the Strix or Auros perform better than an accelero iii with all the vrm heatsinks in place? Or were you recommending those so OP doesn't have to spend more on an aftermarket gpu cooler? I've got a C14s on the way, along with some 12x25 fans and an accelero iii I plan to use on a 1080 Ti, and like OP I am new to Ncase M1 (coming from a Dan A4).
What 1080ti do you have? Taking off a fan shroud is easy and doesn't void warranty. I believe a perfect Accelero is better, but not by much from what I have read. The strix and some other cards have precise 2 slots heat sinks, which make them perfect to the 2 12x25 fans. It marters a lot how much space there is between the fans and the heatsinks, from what I have read. Just depends what card you have.

HansWursT619

Trash Compacter
Feb 22, 2016
Thickness on Strix heat sink is great, but it requires to bend the fan mounting points, as these protrude from the fin stack.
Same for the EVGA Ultra XC cards.
This would probably void the warranty.

I had no luck so far finding which cards have a thick (and thus hopefully effective fin stack) without any protruding parts.

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
Thickness on Strix heat sink is great, but it requires to bend the fan mounting points, as these protrude from the fin stack.
Same for the EVGA Ultra XC cards.
This would probably void the warranty.

I had no luck so far finding which cards have a thick (and thus hopefully effective fin stack) without any protruding parts.
Could't you just bend them back even if there would be a malfunction? And the bending doesn't give you any sticker that says voids warranty. But yes, would be questionable for warranty.
The strix can, however, fit without removing the shroud with some adjustments. Ill see if I succeed with my upcoming build.