Part Ncase M1, ITX z390 and 10GBE via nvme adapter

Gingerbeer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 6, 2019
I'm wondering if it is possible to support a 10gig nic (SFP+ or RJ45) via an R43/R42 adapter in one of my nvme slots.

My GPU is a nvidia FE and I have an NCase M1, so I can accommodate a NIC on the PCI brackets, but I know nothing about nvme bifurcation or these R43/R42 adapters.

Anyone out there tired this?

Thanks
GB

maped

Cable Smoosher
Jan 26, 2017
I've used a similar setup on my X470i Strix it works exactly as you prescribe and it's just plug and play. Maybe someone who has experience on newer Intel boards can chime in if there are some complications there, but as long as your M.2 slot is pcie-capable I don't think there should be any problems.

Reactions: Gingerbeer

Gingerbeer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 6, 2019
Thanks, I'll give it a go - it's less than $50 shipped, but I didn't want to throw moeny at something that had no chance of working.

Will report back when I get it.

Gingerbeer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 6, 2019
The NVME to PCIE x16 adapter arrived. It's installed and it works.

I'm running a HP NC253SFP 10G NIC in the adapter, just to test things - I'd prefer a smaller single port RJ45 10GbE card for a more permanent solution, but I wasn't about to splurge a further £80 - £100 without knowing if the adapter would work. The HP card isn't full length and stops short of the fan intake on my 1080 Ti FE and GPU temps are unchanged (one thing I was a little concerned about.

Still getting 270-300MB/s moving large media files, but testing cached data for max throughput saw 650-700MB/s. :cool:

Reactions: maped

Gingerbeer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 6, 2019
So, the nvme to pcie adapter works, but not all the time - my connection occasionally drops, requiring a reboot to reset it. Not often, but enough to be annoying. Still, it was was interesting and worth it to try.

I've since found a three slot mATX board that fits in the NCase M1 and has a pcie 4x slot to accommodate my 10GbE nic. The board is a bit basic, but it has four RAM slots, six SATA ports and a pcie/sata m.2 slot. Not too shabby.

TLN

Average Stuffer
Mar 9, 2020
So, the nvme to pcie adapter works, but not all the time - my connection occasionally drops, requiring a reboot to reset it. Not often, but enough to be annoying. Still, it was was interesting and worth it to try.

I've since found a three slot mATX board that fits in the NCase M1 and has a pcie 4x slot to accommodate my 10GbE nic. The board is a bit basic, but it has four RAM slots, six SATA ports and a pcie/sata m.2 slot. Not too shabby.
I got three slot mATX board with 10G onboard and SAS controller. Preparing my build at the moment, will post update later.

maped

Cable Smoosher
Jan 26, 2017

Was your adapter externally powered, I think the nvme slot is a bit more limited in power delivery vs. a full fat pcie x4 slot. I used an adapter with a floppy power connector with my Asus XG-C100C with no problems.

Gingerbeer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 6, 2019
I got three slot mATX board with 10G onboard and SAS controller. Preparing my build at the moment, will post update later.
Sounds like one of the Asrock Rack or Supermicro boards - awesome things but a bit outside my price range.

I'm a wee bit envious.
Was your adapter externally powered, I think the nvme slot is a bit more limited in power delivery vs. a full fat pcie x4 slot. I used an adapter with a floppy power connector with my Asus XG-C100C with no problems.
Yes, I powered it via the floppy power connector with the supplied SATA to floppy power cable.

It was an interesting diversion nonetheless. :)