NCASE M1 GPU + Fan Clearance and De-Shroud

sffjosh

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jan 27, 2020
I've got an NCASE M1 on the way to downsize my current build and I'm trying to figure out what my strategy will be for keeping my GPU cool and quiet.

I have an ASUS Dual RTX 2070 O8G, which will fit in the case but doesn't have enough clearance for even 15mm fans at the bottom of the case. I've looked at the GPU and fan specs posted on SFF.net here and see that I can put 25mm fans if the card is under 42mm thick.

Does this 42mm include the backplate of the card? I took some measurements of the card after removing the fans and fan shroud. Don't worry, I dusted before re-assembling!

Can I fit that card plus 25mm fans in the M1? If I can I assume the Corsair fans I have that are 12V and 0.219A will not cause any issues when plugged into the GPU fan header. Is this correct?

Finally, is this the correct adapter for using a PWM case fan with the headers visible in the the photos. If the plugin doesn't load, the product name is "CRJ 4-Pin PWM GPU Fan Adapter Cable All Black Sleeved for Graphics Cards" ID B07Q5BTTDX.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Does this 42mm include the backplate of the card? I took some measurements of the card after removing the fans and fan shroud. Don't worry, I dusted before re-assembling!

Can I fit that card plus 25mm fans in the M1? If I can I assume the Corsair fans I have that are 12V and 0.219A will not cause any issues when plugged into the GPU fan header. Is this correct?

Finally, is this the correct adapter for using a PWM case fan with the headers visible in the the photos.
1. The 42mm figure does not include the backplate. The backplate is on the 'upper' side of the PCB and thus its thickness does not interfere with anything on the 'lower' side. The PCB is what is inserted in the PCIe slot and that is where the thickness begins the measurement.

2. If the stock Asus fan is 12V 0.45A, then a pair of 12V 0.219A fans should cause no issue (0.219A < 0.45A for sure). The only tricky part that I can think of is the PWM profile of the original Asus fans is definitely different from the Corsair fan's. So, you will need to do adjustment accordingly.

3. That adapter looks OK. Make sure to use a proper Y-splitter cable.

Last edited:

sffjosh

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jan 27, 2020
1. The 42mm figure does not include the backplate. The backplate is on the 'upper' side of the PCB and thus its thickness does not interfere with anything on the 'lower' side. The PCB is what is inserted in the PCIe slot and that is where the thickness begins the measurement.

2. If the stock Asus fan is 12V 0.45A, then a pair of 12V 0.219A fans should cause no issue (0.219A < 0.45A for sure). The only tricky part that I can think of is the PWM profile of the original Asus fans is definitely different from the Corsair fan's. So, you will need to do adjustment accordingly.

3. That adapter looks OK. Make sure to use a proper Y-splitter cable.

1. Thanks, that makes sense to me, but having the extra confirmation helps.
2. Yeah, I wondered if I’d have to do a custom curve. I’m ok with that - I’m already under-volting in preparation and the same software offers customized curves.
3. The board has two fans and two fan headers - I assume I could just grab two of the cables and run one to each fan? I guess if I used a splitter then I might not need to use a custom curve. I’m not sure if just adding the amps for the two case fans is the appropriate calculation there. My electrical knowledge is mostly based on things I‘ve done before - and this is not something I’ve done before.