NCASE M1 Comet Lake Space Heater Workstation and Gaming Build for CoD MW + Warzone

mickvwijk

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
I saw this on page 2-8 of the Z490-i Manual:
"Ensure to remove the pre- installed M.2 rubber pad screw before installing your double sided M.2 storage device." Not sure if this applies to the Samsung 970 EVO's.

Yes for the double sided ones you’d want to remove it, in my case the 1TB 970 evo plus is just single sided and the bend was there regardless if the pad was removed or not.

mickvwijk

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
Just a quick update before the air cooler arrives.

As you can see, the PCIe 8 + 8 cables on the GPU are partially tucked away underneath, I did this because the side panel doesn't fit otherwise. Because it looks so awful, I went ahead and ordered some CableMod 8pin PCIe cables to replace the Corsair 8+8 ones.

Everything does fit nice and snugly in there and using the Y slitters I was able to easily connect the three fans to a single header, so a big thank you to Noctua for including detachable extension cables on their Chromax fans.

The system should finally be up and running today, stay tuned.

mickvwijk

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
Well, today is the day...

The cooler came and fit like a glove on the Z490-i Gaming, it's like ASUS designed the MB around the mounting system for this cooler. The mounting bracket fits straight into the groove on the VRM heatsink.

BTW, this cable mess is temporary.

I ended up mounting on NF-A12x15 on the underside of the heatsink where the stock 140mm fan goes using some medium length cable ties and a second one on the mounting bracket for a push/pull config. I might have to change the PSU into the second position so I can use the 140mm on the bottom and maybe a Cryorig XT140 on top once those are available again.

I also had to switch the power extension into the center slot where the Ncase model plate sits in order to make it fit.

bee_exotic

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 7, 2020
did you need a slim fan ? to clear the side mounted fan and the c14? plan on getting the same cooler

mickvwijk

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
did you need a slim fan ? to clear the side mounted fan and the c14? plan on getting the same cooler

Yes I used a Noctua NF-A9x14 92 x 14mm fan as I was going to use an AIO and the 25mm version would not fit, plus I couldn’t get my hands on a 25mm Chromax Black one within reasonable time.

However, after checking, you could definitely fit a 92 x 25mm with the C14s installed.

As for the C14s itself I ended up using 2x 120 x 15mm fans but if I would have been able to get a hold of a couple Cryorig XT140’s I would have put the PSU in the secondary position and use those fans on the C14s.

Hope this helps, good luck with your build.