NCASE M1 Comet Lake Space Heater Workstation and Gaming Build for CoD MW + Warzone

mickvwijk

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
So this is my first thread and custom PC, yay!

After scouring the market for a decent PC case that could've come from the likes of Apple, I decided to go with the NCASE M1 as it's got plenty of space for a powerful build and has mouthwatering good looks.

Also, I wanted to build a PC suitable as a workstation for creative work, CAD, etc as well as a great performer for gaming and specifically in CoD, which is why I chose the RX 5700 XT over a 2070 Super since the AMD Adrenalin drivers in combination with an Intel CPU have pushed performance past the super for CoD.

I've been doing quite a lot of research and made the following choices for my parts:

Case: NCASE M1
CPU: Core i7 10700K
Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 > EKWB EK-AIO 240 D-RGB > Noctua NH-C14S
Thermal paste: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
MB: ASUS RoG Strix Z490-I Gaming
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 3600Mhz CL16-18-18-38
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB
GPU: Sapphire Nitro + RX 5700 XT
PSU: Corsair SF750 80 Plus Platinum
PSU Cables: Corsair Premium Sleeved cables & 2 x CableMod ModFlex 8-pin PCI-e Cable for Corsair (Black Label)
Intake fans: 4 x Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM chromax black
Exhaust fan: 1x Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM chromax black
Fan splitters: Noctua NA-SYC1 chromax black 4-PIN Y-Cables

Also got me some gaming peripherals as I'm switching from console to PC gaming:

Mouse: Logitech G PRO Wireless
Keyboard: Ducky Mecha Mini 60% keyboard with Cherry MX Silver (speed) Red switches & Taiho Cherry MX O-Rings
Mousepad: X-raypad Equate Gaming Mouse Pad 900x400x3mm - XXL

Let me know what you all think or if I should be using different hardware for certain parts.

By the way, I received my M1 in 6 days during the Corona pandemic. Crazy.

I will post some pictures once the parts go in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paradyme

ryanakata

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 4, 2020
I'm looking forward to it!

I ordered an M1 for my first ITX build as well but I don't think it will ship until the end of next week if they're on schedule. I went with AMD for mine due to the latest intel offerings probably going to be a little toasty but we will see.

1Hombre

Cable Smoosher
Apr 26, 2020
Very nice build components. Given the recent reviews of the Arctic Liquid Freezer, you've picked an awesome AIO. However, you may want to make sure you don't have any problems with the orientation of the tubing entering the block. See the below video starting at about 1:22. Anticipating your pics as I'm currently awaiting the delivery of my M1. Good luck with the build.

mickvwijk

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
I'm looking forward to it!

I ordered an M1 for my first ITX build as well but I don't think it will ship until the end of next week if they're on schedule. I went with AMD for mine due to the latest intel offerings probably going to be a little toasty but we will see.

Nice, even though it's pre-order, their turn around for manufacturing and shipping is crazy fast. And the quality seems better than LianLi's own cases which is to be expected at this price point.

What specs/components are you going with for your AMD build?

mickvwijk

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
Very nice build components. Given the recent reviews of the Arctic Liquid Freezer, you've picked an awesome AIO. However, you may want to make sure you don't have any problems with the orientation of the tubing entering the block. See the below video starting at about 1:22. Anticipating your pics as I'm currently awaiting the delivery of my M1. Good luck with the build.

Thank you.

Yes the performance of the AIO is the main selling point for me, that fan seems pretty useless though. I was initially going to try and stuff a Dark Rock TF in the M1 but with the high TDP I don't think it will work with the 10700K.

As for the fitment of the Liquid Freezer II 240, I will test fit it this weekend without the MB to see if there is enough room. Ther'es definitely a good chance it won't fit as the rad is 38mm + 25mm for the fan only leaving about 67mm for the tubing and pump block. Thanks for pointing this out, totally slipped my mind.

Reactions: 1Hombre

1Hombre

Cable Smoosher
Apr 26, 2020
Hopefully, you can use the AIO in another build or sell it and recoup the majority of your cost if it does not fit. I agree with your assessment of the fan, but it does not diminish the performance as you mention. Cheers.

liyi0522

Caliper Novice
Apr 14, 2020
My case should arrive next week. I give up lga 1155 build. The z77 used motherboard is very expensive. ($175) I decided to sell my mATX MB, 8 GB DDR3 memory, i5 2500K and 240 GB SSD on eBay AMD go for a newer platform. If I can get $110 from my used parts, it will cost me ( $160+ $70+ $150+ $115 - $140= $355) to build a newer platform and better performance system (ASRock Z490M-itx/AC+16 BG DDR4+i3 10300 + intel 660P m.2 1 TB) vs spend $175 on eBay to get a dead end platform 8 years old parts. Extra $180 get me double the thread, double the memory, quadruple the storage and faster cpu. Since i3 has low TDP, NH-L9x65 is enough. I am happy that I can’t find the B450 board and ryzen 5 1600AF right now. If these are available I would end up with another dead end platform while new Zen 3 will be available another couple months. I am not sure if $150 will be enough for i3 10300. If not, I might go for i5 10600K. It could be last a little bit longer like my i5 2500K.

mickvwijk

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
Hopefully, you can use the AIO in another build or sell it and recoup the majority of your cost if it does not fit. I agree with your assessment of the fan, but it does not diminish the performance as you mention. Cheers.

I ended up returning the Liquid Freezer and PayPal is paying the return costs, so nothing to worry about.

Also, I went ahead and ordered an EK-AIO 240 D-RGB from EKWB since it's got a very low profile pump/block and flexible swivel hoses, plus they've confirmed it fits inside the M1.

Here are some crooked photos of test fitting the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240, there's no way it would ever fit.

In the M1 the Liquid Freezer will not fit, not even as a bottom intake since the hoses are way too stiff, too bad.

Next up the EK-AIO.

Last edited:

mickvwijk

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
My case should arrive next week. I give up lga 1155 build. The z77 used motherboard is very expensive. ($175) I decided to sell my mATX MB, 8 GB DDR3 memory, i5 2500K and 240 GB SSD on eBay AMD go for a newer platform. If I can get $110 from my used parts, it will cost me ( $160+ $70+ $150+ $115 - $140= $355) to build a newer platform and better performance system (ASRock Z490M-itx/AC+16 BG DDR4+i3 10300 + intel 660P m.2 1 TB) vs spend $175 on eBay to get a dead end platform 8 years old parts. Extra $180 get me double the thread, double the memory, quadruple the storage and faster cpu. Since i3 has low TDP, NH-L9x65 is enough. I am happy that I can’t find the B450 board and ryzen 5 1600AF right now. If these are available I would end up with another dead end platform while new Zen 3 will be available another couple months. I am not sure if $150 will be enough for i3 10300. If not, I might go for i5 10600K. It could be last a little bit longer like my i5 2500K.

Sounds good, the case is amazing.

Selling the old hardware would probably be your best bet, I'm on 9-year-old hardware myself and its no fun anymore, especially working from home.

The 10600K should be a decent chip, I was actually going to go with it over the i7 and upgrade to 11th gen as soon as it comes out. However, there's probably no point in doing so as rumour has it that 11th gen will still be on 14nm but with PCI-e 4.0, we'll see.

AMD might be the way to go if you have no need for high single-core clock speeds and/or an Intel CPU.

liyi0522

Caliper Novice
Apr 14, 2020
Sounds good, the case is amazing.

Selling the old hardware would probably be your best bet, I'm on 9-year-old hardware myself and its no fun anymore, especially working from home.

The 10600K should be a decent chip, I was actually going to go with it over the i7 and upgrade to 11th gen as soon as it comes out. However, there's probably no point in doing so as rumour has it that 11th gen will still be on 14nm but with PCI-e 4.0, we'll see.

AMD might be the way to go if you have no need for high single-core clock speeds and/or an Intel CPU.

This computer is for office work and play 1080P games like world of tanks. I may make it as a hackintosh later. Intel cpu hackintosh is way easier to build. The only reasonable price Z490 MB I can find is ASRock Z490M-itx/ac, the other MBs are way too expensive.

Reactions: mickvwijk

1Hombre

Cable Smoosher
Apr 26, 2020
I ended up returning the Liquid Freezer and PayPal is paying the return costs, so nothing to worry about.

Also, I went ahead and ordered an EK-AIO 240 D-RGB from EKWB since it's got a very low profile pump/block and flexible swivel hoses, plus they've confirmed it fits inside the M1.

Here are some crooked photos of test fitting the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240, there's no way it would ever fit.

In the M1 the Liquid Freezer will not fit, not even as a bottom intake since the hoses are way too stiff, too bad.

Next up the EK-AIO.

I was thinking there might be a way to make it work with a bit of finagling, but as your pics show, definitely will not fit. I suspect that will be the case with AIOs that use the same design. I appreciate you providing pics to help others since this issue is probably not readily apparent to new SFF builders. I'm glad you were able to return the LF with no hit to your wallet. Even though you confirmed the EK will fit in the M1, I'd be interested in seeing pics once you install it. Happy building.

mickvwijk

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
I may have been too optimistic about it potentially fitting in there, but if I didn't try I would never have known. Glad to be of service.

Yes, I'll keep the pics coming, EK-AIO should be in this week, maybe the MB as well if it actually ships on the 13th.

Reactions: 1Hombre

NG-Fidel

Efficiency Noob
Feb 5, 2020
Let us know if it does. I have a Kraken X52 in my ncase and while it performs wonderfully I am looking to upgrade it for a few Cs more off my Core temps.

Reactions: mickvwijk

mickvwijk

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
Let us know if it does. I have a Kraken X52 in my ncase and while it performs wonderfully I am looking to upgrade it for a few Cs more off my Core temps.

I will definitely share the results. From what I've heard, as long as you run the pump from the pump header on the MB and dial it in correctly, and run the fans off of a separate header it should outperform the Kraken's. But we'll have to find out if that's true.

I will also be testing AI cooling on the ROG STRIX with the EK-AIO and will share those results.

mickvwijk

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
I wanted to give you all a quick update today as I was able to get a pre-order in today for an i7 10700K. It was actually less of a rip off than what I was expecting.

I also received some goodies today including the SF750, this thing is a tiny BEAST. Real heavy too. And a G-PRO wireless was included in this shipment as well, which compared to my MX master is feather-light, amazing tech.

My expectation is that I will have all of the parts in towards the end of next week, will keep updating and sending photos as soon as I start building.

mickvwijk

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
Just another update,

Even with all the pre-orders places early, some of the vendors I ordered from weren’t able to get any stock, so what I ended up doing in the last few days was cancelling some orders and placing new ones with vendors carrying stock for the parts that I need.

As for my order with EK, they ran into some delays and at the beginning of the week they estimated a restocking date of the 29th, however, somehow they managed to get the AIO sent out a few days ago which should be arriving shortly.

Just a little longer until build time, I’m hoping 3 - 4 days maximum.

mickvwijk

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
So all parts except for the AIO are in and I have installed all the parts on the MB.

As for the MB it's nice and hefty, must be the heat sinks, and the processor is kinda heavy as well, not sure if that's normal or because they increased the thickness of the IHS on the 10th gen intel CPU's.

I did run into one issue while installing the M.2, it seems that mounting the heat sink with the thermal pad put a lot of strain on the M.2 bending it downward. To combat this issue I'm assuming the little riser pad/support in the image below at the rear end of the green arrow is for, however it didn't help at all with the bending, which is why I ended up moving it over one hole to the right in the center of the M.2. With the support moved over I didn't want there to be any chance of excessive pressure on the M.2 so I also wiggled the M.2 as far left toward the mounting screw as it would go, so that once I installed the heat sink there would be some room for movement into the M.2 socket.

The cooler should be arriving today if all goes to plan. Which means the PC should be up and running by the end of today. Finally.

mickvwijk

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 11, 2020
Well, crazy turn of events.

The EK-AIO 240 doesn't fit on the ROG Strix z490-i gaming in any orientation. ?

So I ended up looking at all the datasheets I could find for AIO's and it looks like none will fit. Instead, I have now ordered a Noctua NH-C14S and two additional A12x15 chromax black fans. There was enough detail in the datasheet of the NH-C14S to confirm fitment with the motherboard and RAM.

Reactions: RedLlN3

andre b

What's an ITX?
New User
May 12, 2020
So all parts except for the AIO are in and I have installed all the parts on the MB.

As for the MB it's nice and hefty, must be the heat sinks, and the processor is kinda heavy as well, not sure if that's normal or because they increased the thickness of the IHS on the 10th gen intel CPU's.

I did run into one issue while installing the M.2, it seems that mounting the heat sink with the thermal pad put a lot of strain on the M.2 bending it downward. To combat this issue I'm assuming the little riser pad/support in the image below at the rear end of the green arrow is for, however it didn't help at all with the bending, which is why I ended up moving it over one hole to the right in the center of the M.2. With the support moved over I didn't want there to be any chance of excessive pressure on the M.2 so I also wiggled the M.2 as far left toward the mounting screw as it would go, so that once I installed the heat sink there would be some room for movement into the M.2 socket.

The cooler should be arriving today if all goes to plan. Which means the PC should be up and running by the end of today. Finally.
I saw this on page 2-8 of the Z490-i Manual:
"Ensure to remove the pre- installed M.2 rubber pad screw before installing your double sided M.2 storage device." Not sure if this applies to the Samsung 970 EVO's.