Advice Ncase M1 Build Advice - Ryzen 3950X, 2080 Ti Founder's

siegmattel

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 4, 2020
www.siegmattelvisuals.com
I posted a few days ago about my build but have made several changes since, so was hoping to ask some advice on a few remaining pieces that I'm a bit unsure on.

Here is my build so far - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TqQ4V7

What I'm hoping for advice on:
  1. It seems that my best option, given how I will be using it, is a 240mm AIO for CPU cooling. I've narrowed it down to the Corsair H100i or the Kraken x53. Anyone have strong opinions? I haven't found as much as I would have expected when trying to research comparisons between the two.
  2. In terms of motherboard, I currently have the ASUS x570-i gaming selected. However, I'm strongly considering waiting until June 16 for the B550-i to come out, since I'm waiting on backordered parts anyways. It seems that the big benefits to the b550 chipset would be a USB-C header and better thermals?
  3. For RAM, I definitely want to do 2x32gb, and hopefully the fastest I can choose there. I would be going with 3600 with CAS14, but I'm wondering how important it is to pick exact RAM models that are listed as compatible on ASUS's compatibility list? the x570-i list seems a bit limiting, although I'm hoping the B550-i will have slightly better options.
  4. Will two 25mm Noctua's under the GPU be enough, along with the 240mm AIO, to get good thermals? Wondering if I should also get another 1 or 2 case fans for exhaust.
A little bit of context to my build:
  • I am a visual jockey, meaning I run real-time graphics, usually 1080p x 60fps but I will want this system to be able to handle 4k x 60fps so I won't have to upgrade for a bit

siegmattel

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 4, 2020
Whoops it seems like I accidentally submitted before finishing my post.

Context about build (continued):
  • For real-time graphics, I specifically mean GLSL pixel shaders as well as running multiple layers of clips in real-time with OpenGL effects. This all runs primarily on the GPU
  • Additionally, I do a lot of content creation, primarily in After Effects and SideFX Houdini, but also planning on adding Blender to that workflow. I plan on getting either Octane or Redshift for GPU rendering.
  • Visual jockeying software I use: Resolume Arena 7, Synesthesia Live, Smode
  • I hope to eventually add Unreal Engine and Derivative's TouchDesigner to my real-time workflow
  • As a visual jockey, I plan on using this machine anywhere from small, well-ventilated concert venues to outdoor summer music festivals in 90+ degree Fahrenheit heat. I'm pretty sure AIO is the obvious choice, but figured I'd ask.

maveric

Caliper Novice
Jun 5, 2020
Have you already bought your graphics card? You may want to hold off for the soon to be released RTX 3080. Even if you don't want it, it should provide a nice price discount on the 2080s.

siegmattel

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 4, 2020
Have you already bought your graphics card? You may want to hold off for the soon to be released RTX 3080. Even if you don't want it, it should provide a nice price discount on the 2080s.
Yeah, I already have the 2080 on hand. I didn't want to wait that long to build, I figure worst case if the 3080 seems worth it, I'll take the depreciation hit on my 2080, resell it, and snag a 3080. I wanted to wait and make sure people are able to stick it in an sff build without issues and look at benchmarks to see if it's worth the jump in price.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017

It's never a good practice to do the "waiting game", even though I both see and understand where you're coming from.

There is next to no information as of today regarding the new gen GPUs from Nvidia. There hasn't been any confirmation (that I know of) that it will even be called "3080".

And even if they would announce it and release it, there's still the issue of the ongoing pandemic and therefore the heavily impacted shipping restrictions globally.
In other words, it might be extremely difficult to get the new GPUs out in the world, let alone being extremely limited due to the pandemic.

Just look at NCASE M1 for example, the massive amount of countries which they don't ship to at the moment as a result of the ongoing pandemic.

This is a very unique situation we're all in and this also has to be accounted for - on top of the next to no information regarding the next gen graphics cards.

mickvwijk

Caliper Novice
Apr 11, 2020
@Dawelio, that's true on the information about the 3080, I was in the same boat and ended up opting for an RX 5700 XT for the time being.

As for this pandemic, I would have to disagree. I received my M1 within a week and have an ASUS ROG Strix Z490-I Gaming with an i7 10700K and was easily able to get these and the other parts pretty easily and within a week of launch even in these times.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
As for this pandemic, I would have to disagree. I received my M1 within a week and have an ASUS ROG Strix Z490-I Gaming with an i7 10700K and was easily able to get these and the other parts pretty easily and within a week of launch even in these times.

I'd say you had luck. I know several people, including myself, who has been struck with long waiting times due to shipping restrictions.

But I guess everyone's experience may differ though.

maveric

Caliper Novice
Jun 5, 2020
...In terms of motherboard, I currently have the ASUS x570-i gaming selected. However, I'm strongly considering waiting until June 16 for the B550-i to come out, since I'm waiting on backordered parts anyways. It seems that the big benefits to the b550 chipset would be a USB-C header and better thermals?...

My understanding is that the benefits are price, USB-C header, and passive cooling for a quieter build. With only a week away from knowing for certain, I think it's worth waiting.

Remy17

Chassis Packer
Jun 19, 2020
I do not know about waiting on a graphics card at this point considering the hoarding and reselling at inflated prices that is going on. If I can get a card I can live with now for the actual price instead of gambling on prices going down whenever the new cards coming out and risking having to sift through price gouging it seems like less of a headache.

Kitsune

Trash Compacter
Jun 22, 2020
Same here. You could wait forever for the 'next' thing. I went ahead and ordered a 2080ti Founders edition and promptly ripped the housing off, knowing full well next generation cards are on the horizon. If it's sufficiently better then at some point I might upgrade, but I'd want to see how early adopters get on with it first before I plunge a brand new GPU into a brand new build. 2080ti horsepower is going to be so far ahead of what I have now that regardless of what's coming sooner or later, I'm still going to be laughing like a maniac when this is up and running, and that's good enough for me.

ziwzih

Case Bender
New User
Aug 21, 2020
Hey! Have you built this thing? I am a video editor/animator with (somewhat) similar needs to you, but I have been looking at a near identical build with pretty similar questions. What's your experience been like?

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Same here. You could wait forever for the 'next' thing. I went ahead and ordered a 2080ti Founders edition and promptly ripped the housing off, knowing full well next generation cards are on the horizon. If it's sufficiently better then at some point I might upgrade, but I'd want to see how early adopters get on with it first before I plunge a brand new GPU into a brand new build. 2080ti horsepower is going to be so far ahead of what I have now that regardless of what's coming sooner or later, I'm still going to be laughing like a maniac when this is up and running, and that's good enough for me.

So what were you rocking previously?...