Discussion nano-itx

theoldwizard1

Average Stuffer
Sep 10, 2018
60
7
So with the next round of "mobile" processors coming out soon from AMD (Strix Halo, AMD Ryzen™ Al Max+ 395), and I am certain Intel, do you think we will see any motherboard and case manufacturers get on the nano-ITX size bandwagon ? I don't think they could squeeze a typical desktop processor and associate

Or will this strictly be the pre-built mini-PC territory ?
 

Gidilo

Trash Compacter
Nov 23, 2022
52
21
So with the next round of "mobile" processors coming out soon from AMD (Strix Halo, AMD Ryzen™ Al Max+ 395), and I am certain Intel, do you think we will see any motherboard and case manufacturers get on the nano-ITX size bandwagon ? I don't think they could squeeze a typical desktop processor and associate

Or will this strictly be the pre-built mini-PC territory ?
No reason for them to make it modular if you can't upgrade anyway. We will see those chips in the typical 4x4" or Nuc form factor and perhaps a Minisforum mini ITX board. I guess some of them will have sodimm others soldered ram.
But you can still take these mini PCs and salvage the board for your own design
 

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
357
263
I feel anything sub-ITX will be 4x4/NUC sized, or RasPI form-factor.

Low-power has gone a long way, but even 15w mobile processors can be told to suck down 30w in boost - Many smaller boards don't like handling more than USB power (~15W) and folks don't want to pay for a processor to be capped at it's low TDP setting.

But I'm always hoping for exceptions :) And those newer, cheap Intel processors (U100/U150/ N305/N355) are pretty danged neat.
 

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
253
262
Is Nano-ITX still a thing? Haven't seen anything interesting, or rather anything at all it that formfactor for a while now...

There are hardly any nano itx cases anyway, so I don't really see any advantage over a non standard mini-pc board?
 

theoldwizard1

Average Stuffer
Sep 10, 2018
60
7
To be more specific ...

Unless you are a real "gammer" and are not willing to limit yourself to "onboard" GPU (i.e. you want a PCIe 4.0 x16 slot), it look like home built SFF is dying !

The pre-built SFF (approximately NUC/Apple size) are starting to appear with OCulink are going to be much more cost effective !

It is too early for reliable benchmarks of Strix Halo (a.k.a. AMD Ryzen™ Al Max+ 395) systems, but I will bet they will beat my 8700G/MSI B550M SFF that I built about a year ago !
 

Gidilo

Trash Compacter
Nov 23, 2022
52
21
To be more specific ...

Unless you are a real "gammer" and are not willing to limit yourself to "onboard" GPU (i.e. you want a PCIe 4.0 x16 slot), it look like home built SFF is dying !

The pre-built SFF (approximately NUC/Apple size) are starting to appear with OCulink are going to be much more cost effective !

It is too early for reliable benchmarks of Strix Halo (a.k.a. AMD Ryzen™ Al Max+ 395) systems, but I will bet they will beat my 8700G/MSI B550M SFF that I built about a year ago !
yes it will beat your 8700G but diy SFF is far from dead. M.2 to pcie x16 is very easy
 

theoldwizard1

Average Stuffer
Sep 10, 2018
60
7
... but diy SFF is far from dead. M.2 to pcie x16 is very easy
I am resurrecting this thread !

The whole DIY built PC industry is slipping away ! The only niche is people who are willing to pay PREMIUM PRICES for NAME BRAND components that may (or may not) give them a more "frames per second" on their favorite game.

AMD's recent announcement about addition Strix Halo product line (a.k.a. Ryzen AI Max) will bring many additional pre-built SFF system to the low end/mid market in mid/late 2026.

(Segue - there "suddenly" seems to be a large number of "unknown" Chinese vendors building/marketing SFF based on older AMD laptop chips. While I would consider a pre-built SFF system built around a Strix Halo chip, in no way am I endorsing these systems built on "leftover" laptop chips.)
 

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
4,689
7,954
Auckland, New Zealand
sff.network
Pre-builts do indeed seem to be on the rise. I feel that us enthusiasts dismiss embedded stuff too easily. Companies like Minisforum seem to be offering solid products that cover anything from office work to light gaming.