MITXPC MX500-USB3

sansoo22

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 6, 2017
Starting the build log for my second ever SFF build. The first was in a Node 202 that currently acts as my HTPC. That build was a piece of cake. This MX500 case is TINY and proving to be a bit trickier thus far.

I work as a cloud applications architect/developer for a wireless carrier. They provide us with one size fits all laptops that in my opinion are more of a sadistic form of punishment than a tool to get work done. The purpose of this build is to have a decent workstation for Visual Studio 2017, Eclipse, and Android Studio.

Many of the components in the parts list are from my boneyard. I'm doing this build on a very limited budget as this is my first experiment with a case this small. The parts were chosen to support the i5-2500k I pulled from my dad's old PC a couple weeks ago when I built him a new machine.

Parts List
CPU: Intel i5-2500K
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3
RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DD3 1600
Case: Mitxpc MX500-USB3 with VESA mount
CPU Cooler: Noctura NH-L9i
Fans: 2 x Noctura NF-A4x10 FLX
PSU: HDPlex 160w DC-ATX
AC Adapter: HP 693714-001 230W

I'm a little concerned about thermals with the small Noctura CPU cooler and the i5-2500k. This PC won't be running any long duty cycles and I'm hoping I can get it to run stable at a slightly lower voltage to assist with thermals. Both sides and the entire top of the case are vented so that should help as well.

And now the part you all came here for...

The MITXPC M500-USB3 (with front ports and button removed next to a 3.5 HDD for scale)

Some of the parts going into this tiny thing.

Setting up for some bench testing with an old G620...also note how large a 230w laptop charger actually is.

Tiny Austrians come in a big package

Tiny Austrians mounted

Had to drill a hole for the HDPlex power port. It didn't go as well as planned :(

Used some non conductive adhesive pads I found laying around to help cushion the port just in case someone gets drunk and tries to plug the power in to forcefully. This image also shows how I did a custom mount for the SSD since all my components are to tall for the supplied bracket.

Doing some cable prep. Found these tall chrome bolts in my boneyard and decided to use them for cable routing. They fit perfect in the standoffs that are for mounting a different style PSU.

That's all for now. Waiting for the Noctura NH-L9i to arrive, hopefully tomorrow, and then I can finish this build and post the rest of the pictures with the case fully assembled.

Last edited:

sansoo22

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 6, 2017
Welp...hit a dead end. It seems the HDPlex is either defective or I have some sort of other strange issue i can't track down. Board, fans, and everything power up just fine but it won't post. Pulled the i5-2500k and put the G620 back in. Pulled RAM and used a known working 4GB module. Still no post. Pulled the HDPlex and hooked up my spare Corsair CX500m and she started purring like a kitten. Put the 16GB i planned on using back in and still running.

But wait it gets stranger...put i5 back in and it gets stuck in a reboot cycle with a memory module in the lane closest to the CPU. Put memory in the second lane and it runs just fine.

Starting to suspect that I have a short in this board somewhere. But that's how it goes when you buy things off ebay.

sansoo22

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 6, 2017
Can confirm the motherboard is just being a dick. Hooked the HDPlex to an Asus A88XM-A with an AMD A6 7400k and the 16GB of ebay special memory and it fired right up. So project is on hold until i either find a compatible socket 1155 motherboard or go with all new CPU, RAM, and Mobo combo.

Only highlight of the day was when i could get the i5 to actually post and checked temps in bios it was sitting at 30C with the noctura nch-l9i on it. This was open air but it still looked promising.

sansoo22

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 6, 2017
Got my new motherboard in today. A new old stock Intel DQ67EP still factory sealed. Bought new Kingston Fury HyperX memory i found for a steal as well. Setup everything on a cardboard box for testing. Hooked up the HDPlex 160W DC-ATX unit and was totally let down again. Board keeps power cycling every 5 seconds. So I then tried a crappy Athena 300w TFX PSU i have in the parts bucket and she fired right up.

All I can assume now is either the HDPlex is a bad unit or its not up to the task of powering an i5-2500k. If anyone here can confirm that I'm being dumb for trying to use this CPU that would be awesome. Was really looking forward to building a tiny portable dev box but so far its been one giant let down.

sansoo22

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 6, 2017
Talked to Larry at HDPlex about my issues. I'm loaning the new Intel board and CPU combo to him for testing. I was really looking forward to using that setup too. The dual DVI ports on it meant no fussing with adapters for my twin 27s at work which for me increased its portability between work and home. Oh well, if it leads to nicer direct plug DC-DC units I can wait a little while longer. The board ships out tomorrow. For anyone interested I will keep this thread updated as I hear back from Larry.

Reactions: W1NN1NG

sansoo22

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 6, 2017
Board tested fine for Larry. He didn't test my HDPlex unit because we had a miscommunication and he wasn't aware I sent it. So at least I know everything works together. Got my board and hdplex back this week and gave it one more go and still just power cycling. Hooked the HDPlex to an AMD board with a 65w CPU and it worked just fine. All I can do now is assume my HDPLex unit is faulty somehow. It has powered 2 different AMD 65w CPUs but fails to power the 2 Intels in different mobo and CPU combinations. From all my years of experience if a board won't post and it keeps power cycling the first thing you do is hook up a different PSU. And sure enough when i do that she posts just fine. So for now this build in this tiny case is dead. Might give the Geeek A20 a try.

sansoo22

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 6, 2017
The saga continues. Ordered a Dell 240w charger, this time one listed on the HDPlex site, I still had power cycling issues. Larry was kind enough to ship me a replacement after this test. Hooked up the new HDPlex 160 and BOOM we are in business.

Preliminary testing has my idle temps at ~54C with moderate load at ~64C. I have seen a few spikes to ~72C when running Visual Studio 2017. I haven't run IBT or Prime95 yet to see how well the cooler performs. All temps thus far are with the case closed and CPU fan on the silent profile in the BIOS. With the silent profile I can't hear this thing running at all. But i am in my home office with a server and gaming rig running which are not silent machines.

Reactions: Jonny727272

sansoo22

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 6, 2017
Well after a few days use temps are not promising. Had all 4 cores pegged at 100% today for about ten minutes and hit 80C. Not terrible but this tiny box doesn't cool down well. The steel case itself tends to absorb a lot of heat that doesn't dissipate very quickly. After returning to idle loads it took a couple minutes for temps to get back down into the low 50s. It definitely wasnt designed for a 95W CPU but I got it working so i guess that's a win.

My options are:
1. Tweak the fan profile some. I was watching the RPMs in HWMonitor and they never really went up as the temps climbed.
2. Rotate the CPU cooler so the fins are oriented vertically. Don't really want to do this since the only way to achieve that is pull the whole thing apart. I can't find any data to suggest if this will help or not. My thought is with the fins running vertically they will be able to get more air through them.
3. Last resort is to cut a big whole in the top of the case over the CPU. The whole top is vented but not very well. With the top off the case my temps did do a lot better. I was seeing idle around 44-48C. I have a buddy with a 3D printer so we could probably come up with something aesthetic for a grille that will also increase airflow.

If anyone has suggestions I'm all ears.

On the bright side I ended up with a pretty decent workstation. I only do Android and web development work so i didnt need anything super powerful. If i can get temps under control I will be extremely pleased. And i only went over my budget by $95 for the extra Dell charger. It's a slim style charger that is much smaller than the HPs so I can use it as my travel charger.