Motherboard USB3 20-pin cables not good for small form factor

tnysff

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 27, 2019
I am building a system with 2x USB3 ports in the front and have found the 20/20 cable to be a pain in terms of bulkiness and lack of flexibility. At least, they should be made with silicone insulation to make them more flexible. Also, the latching of the connectors is also a pain. Couple that with the housing of the connector on the chassis side is loose, so for now I have removed it. I may or may not use crazy glue to put it back on the power push button / USB ports assembly.

The case is a MX500 and the motherboard a B450 Gaming ATX/AC from ASROCK. The two connectors, chasis and mobo header, are next to each other about 2" apart. The cables end up looping over the CPU cooler. Not good.

I find it so annoying that I may look for a compatible cable to downgrade to USB2.

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Yeah even aftermarket usb2 are 40cm minimum most of time but at least more amenable connectors and cable. Was trying to upgrade my K3 but went back to 2.0 stock cable

tnysff

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 27, 2019
I have been looking for the equivalent cable for a 20-pin to 8-pin USB2 and they don't seem to exist in female to female ends.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I had issue with USB 3.0 header where i could not get it under my NHL-12. So I bought this flexible USB 3.0 header from modDIY.