My NUC Kit NUC6CAYS Wifi went SOUTH!

hoarybat61

Case Bender
Original poster
Dec 27, 2018
Hi ran two months on it at just great constant 50 meg down and 10 up and suddenly I get 5 meg. down and 5 meg. up. What?

Things I have done to rectify:

checked drivers all up to date especially wifi

reinstalled fresh copy of windows 10 then all NUC drivers same thing SLOOOOW 5 meg. down

Speed fine for router modem and all other wifi devices I have a 250 MB down service

I realize the antenea is internal but doesn't explain the loss of speed. Thanks for any info.

Joe

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Wifi is a shared medium, so if one of your neighbours installed (or moved) a wifi access point, it could impact your speed as well. Other obvious offenders are cordless phones, microwaves, baby monitors and other wireless devices that operate on the public 2.4GHz band. Unplug them and turn them off to test this.

It's often also a location-dependent problem, so be sure to check if it works better close by to the modem/router. If possible, connect it with a network cable to be sure to problem is not software-related.

The internal antenna is not really an issue, every smartphone of the last decade has had one. Certain materials, like plastic, have little impact on 2.4GHz signals.

Is it possible other software (Windows Update, Steam, BitTorrent, etc.) or users are putting load on your internet connection ?

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
Gather some more info:
1. At what 'rated' connection speed does your WiFi connect? Check the connection properties.
2. Witness this 'rated speed' while you test the throughput - Does it drop?

I'd also recommend checking some more devices:
3. Connect your NUC to your phone's tether function. What speed does it connect at, here?
4. Do you have / can you borrow a second system (laptop, desktop, anything), and connect to and test the same network - Does it do the same?

Reactions: Phuncz

hoarybat61

Case Bender
Original poster
Dec 27, 2018
Gather some more info:
1. At what 'rated' connection speed does your WiFi connect? Check the connection properties.
2. Witness this 'rated speed' while you test the throughput - Does it drop?

I'd also recommend checking some more devices:
3. Connect your NUC to your phone's tether function. What speed does it connect at, here?
4. Do you have / can you borrow a second system (laptop, desktop, anything), and connect to and test the same network - Does it do the same?

Hi no neighbors or family members online am home alone. My other devices on LAN wired get 250mb. tablet, phone and laptop on Wi-Fi get 120mb +- on proximity. I plugged NUC with LAN LINE works fine I get 250mb down via ookla speed test. Love the NUC don't want to have to by Wi-Fi usb dongle

Reactions: Phuncz