Prototype My DIY lasercut Sandwich Style replica xD

sohail

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 6, 2019
Hi guys.

So I decided to try my hand at designing my own DAN case.
Before we go on, It must be made clear that my knowledge in AutoCad was very limited. I had engineering at school, but most of that was forgotten.

This is how it all started one day at work. A rough sketch of an idea I had.

That rough sketch soon became an Autocad drawing.

And then this.

Currently.

What do you guys think so far? Comments and criticism is welcomed.

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Hi guys.

So I decided to try my hand at designing my own DAN case.
Before we go on, It must be made clear that my knowledge in AutoCad was very limited. I had engineering at school, but most of that was forgotten.

This is how it all started one day at work. A rough sketch of an idea I had.

That rough sketch soon became an Autocad drawing.

And then this.

Currently.

What do you guys think so far? Comments and criticism is welcomed.

Very nice. How is the center partition attached and do you have plans for a cover?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Great job with the case, looks well designed. Laser cutting all those holes looks very expensive though :eek: Or were they punched?

sohail

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 6, 2019
Did you bend the aluminum manually?
No. I have a local company that cuts and bends it for me.

Great job with the case, looks well designed. Laser cutting all those holes looks very expensive though :eek: Or were they punched?
Thank you ? All panels are lasercut. To save costs, $2 compared to $50, I chose a hard mdf wood for the top.
My main aim was to keep costs down while making a decent case.

I might cut aluminium side panels for both the top and sides in the future for a more premium look.

Rom29292

Cable Smoosher
May 28, 2017
What grade of aluminum do you use?
Are the threads in this alloy reciting enough.
in my project I was forced to use threaded inserts because the aluminum degrades quickly after several assemblies / disassembly.

Makusan

Chassis Packer
Nov 27, 2019
You stated: "What do you guys think so far? Comments and criticism is welcomed." Be careful what you ask for.
1. How is your "Dan Case" copy superior to the original?
2. How is your design going to improve and increase airflow? (with only the pics provided here) I do not see it.
3. How is your design going to improve cable management?
4. How is your design going to improve on reduction of heat and dust?
5. How does your design improve ease of build and decrease build time?
6. Will HDPlex and SFX-L psu opptions be offered?
7. Can you offer this case for around $100?
....horn sounds....pencils down.

namaskaram

sohail

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 6, 2019
This seems to be a more personal one-off project than a production one.
Thank you Windfall. This current iteration is just a once off, but I'm busy with a new design which should appear some time in the new year, if up to my standards, I would love to sell it as an extra income source.

New case in 2020 should have a few improvements:

Much more cleaner exterior.
92mm intake fan.
Slightly reduced length. 334mm to 320mm

:thumb:

Reactions: Windfall

Plaklijm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
just saw this thread, looks awesome, great work!!! maybe little tip for next version, put the PSU a little higher if you can, to stuff the cables under there, now its looking like a bit of a mess. And maybe just like the dancase A4, under the motherboard tray a fan mount?
92mm intake fan.
or is this that fan mount?

fanmount(s) like this

Reactions: sohail

sohail

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 6, 2019
just saw this thread, looks awesome, great work!!! maybe little tip for next version, put the PSU a little higher if you can, to stuff the cables under there, now its looking like a bit of a mess. And maybe just like the dancase A4, under the motherboard tray a fan mount?

or is this that fan mount?

fanmount(s) like this
Thanks man! Yeah, an intake fan directly underneath the motherboard.

Ideally a modular power supply would look much neater, but money is tight ?

Reactions: Plaklijm

Plaklijm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
Thanks man! Yeah, an intake fan directly underneath the motherboard.

Ideally a modular power supply would look much neater, but money is tight ?
Hahah yeah sff is not the cheapest option, but with some cables ties and more room under the PSU gets you long way :)
And that fan will help some with temps, because heat transfer is not the best with such small heatsinks, so it will help!

marvel.marv

Caliper Novice
Apr 24, 2018
Here's some points and suggestions about the case:

I like that it's simple and cheap. And TBH that's about it :D

As stated, keep the PSU as high at the top of the case as possible, since you are just adding unused space above it. Decide on either inlet or outlet fans, top or bottom, and scrap the space for the other one. I left the space for a top fan while having 2 bottom ones on mine and it's not used at all.

Also, you mentioned 92mm fan. Why not 120mm and then go with the slim ones from Noctua? Quieter, more compact and moves more air. The case is probably wider than 120mm anyway.

I don't like the fact the top panel (or all the panels, for that matter) is a structural part of the case. This makes access to the components harder while building and compromises case structural integrity. You had the Idea for the support at the top, you scrapped it?

The GPU mount is janky AF :D you are putting a lot of stress on the PCIE Riser. Consider more elaborate GPU mount than a bit shoved in the screw hole. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: sohail and Plaklijm