Discussion How can I share my case design sketch with big companies?

Mashndrow

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Mar 27, 2022
Hello everybody, I've been in here for a while and I decided to create an account because, I had questions about the topic that I choose. I've been interested in small form factor case designs for a while and I'm stuck with my sketches because I don't know what to do right now. I was never good at 3D modeling Cad's or even drawing to draw the things in my mind. I had a lot of projects about case design for different needs and all of their goal was the MOBO should be an ITX in order to save useless space though I consider using one in one of my sketch because I wanted a threadripper on one of those. I don't know what to do at this point. I want to reach out NZXT, Lian Li, Corsair and the other brands to share my sketches and designs and I believe most of them are manufacturable. Right now I almost finished my greatest looking and efficient project's sketch and I wanted to create a 3D model of this version. Can someone have connections with people who have focused on this type of stuff? Thanks for reading...

Reactions: Kaji and Phuncz

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022
Having worked in the industry for two separate companies, I can tell you, that unless you go in with an extremely well thought out design, that's also within their capabilities to manufacture, no one will take it into consideration.

You see, most manufacturers have their in house designers, and they don't actually manufacture their own cases. They rely on OEMs to do it. So they'll just provide the schematics to the OEM, and the OEM will do all the work. There's exceptions to this rule, but very few. InWin, Lian Li, Sliger, Protocase to name a few, manufacture and even OEM for other manufacturers.

You'd be surprised just how many cases out there are literally the exact same chassis, just with a few slight changes to panels, ports, and accessories. That's because the OEMs will offer a design and a company will contract on it.

And I'm not trying to say your designs are bad (I haven't seen them), just trying to give you a broader understanding of how the industry works.

Mashndrow

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Mar 27, 2022
Hey XNine,

Thanks for informing me of such information I appreciate that. I started designing cases in 2018 and the one that I was talking about was the first one. I tried to reach out to other companies but only one responded and right now I'm talking with them. The case is most likely manufacturable because I pay attention to make as easy as possible to build.

I recently finished the design and I shared it with the company that I was talking to because I believe it has huge potential. The design is not perfect because it's not exactly what I imagine when I finished it but I will probably revise it more to make it look better and smooth. I really appreciate it if you help me to contact at least one of the marketing team to show my designs. I checked Sliger and they have perfect matched ideas like mine.

Anyways, thanks for responding and I look forward to hearing from you.

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022
I don't really have contacts anymore (I left CaseLabs in 2017, and haven't remained in touch with anyone in the industry as I've done away with social media) but I'd imagine Protocase is the easiest to get in touch with as that's one of the services they advertise and welcome.

For others, I'd recommend contacting their customer service channels inquiring about who to speak with about production of your product and they should direct you to the appropriate people.

After Protocase, I would probably try Lian Li. As they've manufactured stuff for NCase and Dan Cases (and others).

Next would be InWin. I'm not sure who they've OEM'd for but I know they do.

I hope you find success with the endeavor! To me, a really good case is hard to come by anymore, and cases are my favorite piece of hardware in this industry.

Mashndrow

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Mar 27, 2022
I don't really have contacts anymore (I left CaseLabs in 2017, and haven't remained in touch with anyone in the industry as I've done away with social media) but I'd imagine Protocase is the easiest to get in touch with as that's one of the services they advertise and welcome.

For others, I'd recommend contacting their customer service channels inquiring about who to speak with about production of your product and they should direct you to the appropriate people.

After Protocase, I would probably try Lian Li. As they've manufactured stuff for NCase and Dan Cases (and others).

Next would be InWin. I'm not sure who they've OEM'd for but I know they do.

I hope you find success with the endeavor! To me, a really good case is hard to come by anymore, and cases are my favorite piece of hardware in this industry.
I feel excited when I read the last sentence because I can't believe people have the same passion as me. I send professional emails to a lot of companies and only one of them responded.

I send them my case design yesterday and waiting for a response right now. I don't know how to use CAD so it might be hard to work with Protocase I tried to find Lian Li's marketing email but there's no such thing or maybe I couldn't find it. I haven't tried InWin but I'll try to talk to them for sure.

I believe my case has huge potential and I'm willing to share it. It's an amateur design and in its revision 2. I have other plans to update like smoothing the edges of the hexagon so it might look better and more realistic.

I have other designs too and I want to pursue my career in this industry and make a difference. I put the pictures under here so you can check them out and I appreciate any advice from you or anyone because I'm 19 and willing to learn more about cases.

Last edited: