MSI Afterburner is one of the most popular applications to tweak GPUs, adjust fan curves, and show on screen stats. Virtually every tech tuber uses it, and it works for any card regardless of manufacturer. However, it hasn’t recently been updated, and now its fate is unclear. The reason is war.
MSI doesn’t develop afterburner in-house. Russian developer Alexey ‘Unwinder’ Nicolaychuk is the designer of Afterburner, and due to war sanctions, has been unable to continue development.
In a post on the Guru3D forums, Nicolaychuk stated:
War and politics are the reasons. I didn’t mention it in MSI Afterburner development news thread, but the project is semi abandoned by company during quite a long time already. Actually we’re approaching one year mark since the day when MSI stopped...

Continue reading...

steelfractal

when in doubt slap a delta on it
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Aug 15, 2019
Revenant’s Reaction: Afterburner is one of the best programs for tuning your GPU, and I have used it for longer than I can remember. I hope that MSI doesn’t try to integrate this into their control center as the control center is not a piece of software most people willingly put on their computer.
both you and I know that is what are going to happen don't know when but it will happen might as well begin looking for a replacement now

Sad Paul Simon GIF

Last edited:
Reactions: Revenant

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I was watching Paul's Hardware and he pointed out that even if no official announcement has been made about MSI being in contact with Alexey Nicolaychuk a new version of Afterburner, 4.6.5 (Beta 4) was made available for download this week.

Reactions: Phuncz and Revenant

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I was watching Paul's Hardware and he pointed out that even if no official announcement has been made about MSI being in contact with Alexey Nicolaychuk a new version of Afterburner, 4.6.5 (Beta 4) was made available for download this week.

I saw that as well. Alexa did say he was still working on it but would likely have to stop. Maybe this is an update from his work.

Reactions: Phuncz and rfarmer