Log Moving, and looking to downsize some

IcebergChuck

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
May 3, 2023
Hello! I am looking to make my first new SFF build in many years. Last one I had was a Shuttle SN41G2 from way back in the day. It was a great little unit, but now I see there are so many options out there. I almost have decision paralysis from them, LOL. Anyway, due to not being able to find a decent house, we (wife, son, and I) are going to need to move into a small apartment for the time being, so I'm taking this opportunity to see if I can build a smaller machine, while keeping my EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming GPU, and my two 2 TB WD sn850x drives.

I'm essentially going to be starting fresh, with the exception of those parts, as a buddy of mine will be buying the rest of the system off of me. I do a lot of gaming on this machine, at 1440p, but could also hook it up to my TV for 4k gaming. I'm trying to find recommendations for a good setup that will work with my GPU. Are there any Mini-ITX setups that would work for this card, or should I go for a MicroATX system? I just need enough USB ports for my keyboard, mouse, external drive, SteelSeries Arctis Nova Pro headset, an occasional optical drive, and my Thrustmaster t.16000 FCS HOTAS system.

I don't really overclock my systems. The extent has been setting my MB to DOCP for the memory in my Ryzen 5 5600x system. I'm moving from a system built around silent air cooling in a Fractal Design Torrent case. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Hi and welcome!

My first thought was the Fractal Design Ridge, seeing that you've used Fractal before and your GPU will fit according to the product page. It would also look great in a living room setting with your 4k TV.

For a sandwich style case, there is the Dan 4 H2O that would also fit with room to spare. Dan also has the C4 coming out soon that doesn't need a riser, but it sounds like you are ready to build.

For the easiest experience possible, there is the NZXT H1 that comes with a PSU, CPU cooler, and exhaust fan. By the specs, your GPU at 2.75 slots (57mm) should fit with a MM to spare, and this case is on sale for 200 at Best Buy.

Sliger also has a wide variety of cases that would easily meet your needs. You can always peruse the master list on Reddit for even more options.