Advice Moving from M1 to S610

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
As per my post here in the 'Life after NcaseM1' thread I am moving 'home' after 3 years.

What I need is some advice on cooling my new S610 setup.

Currently the M1 is running the following:
i5 8400 on a Strix H370i Gaming with 2x 8 GB Corsair LP DDR4 3000 and a 'FrankeNvidia' GTX 980 Ti*

It's all powered by a Corsair SF600 Gold, which I'd like to add a JHack 2426 to next year.

On the M1, I currently have one 120mm intake [Redux 120mm PWM] in the side mount (front position) blowing onto the PSU and a Redux 92mm PWM blowing through the U9S to the rear with a second 92mm at the back mounted on the case as exhaust.

I was thinking of getting a couple of Noctua 120mm Chromax fans, (not sure which variant F12 or S12A) ,in the bottom as intakes and have a slim 120mm Chomax lined up for the top mount under the handle as an exhaust.

So, the question is are one or 2 120mm Chromax fans in the bottom as intakes going to help the GPU and make the system usefully cooler?

Secondly, is it worth reversing the flow on the existing fan setup as has bee used in M1s elsewhere?
i.e. 92mm fans on the U9s as intake from the rear and the 'front' side mount 120mm as exhaust?

I'll be interested to see hoe the S610 fewer but larger holes side panel venting works compared to the M1

* The FrankeNvidia' GTX 980 Ti is the result of me (possibly rashly) buying a reference GTX 980 Ti that had been installed in a server and was without its blower fan or air directing shroud...
My friend 'Mad Andy' did a lot of measuring and research having been convinced that his surplus GTX 1080 Ti Founders cooler would fit the 980 Ti....
He was right! All I had to do was drill out one screw retention post by the fan and the whole thing fitted on pretty much like it was made of it. 😎😂😛
After I fitted the backplate, you really wouldn't know what the card was at all! I added a custom fan curve in Afterburner, and it is running happily albeit a tad noisily under load .
It's certainly a step up from my 970, and quite a lot less than the 980 Tis I'd seen otherwise on ebay.
CEX here in the UK are selling reference 980 Tis for £340, which is a huge lot more than I paid.