Molex connector pin extraction

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
Hey all!

I'm trying to remove the pins from a Molex connector in order to sleeve the cables. I'm using a tool like this one, on the top of the image:

I tried to push the tool as deep as I can and pull the cable out as hard as I can, but they just won't come out. It almost feels like I will break the cable before I can get the pin out :/
Any ideas/suggestions?

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
The latch on the pin might be bent and flared out. I had an issue like that once, but I can't remember what I did...maybe it was that I just worked it it long enough and go the latch bent back in a way I could get it out.

Reactions: 1461748123

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 5, 2016
The latch on the pin might be bent and flared out. I had an issue like that once, but I can't remember what I did...maybe it was that I just worked it it long enough and go the latch bent back in a way I could get it out.
But the thing is, I tried it on a 8 pin connector with all the pins on it, and none of them wanna come out..

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Huh. Did you insert the pins? Or is this something you received?

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Not sure. If you didn't put them in yourself, that could mean it is any number of things. I'd try to do some comparison between that connector and others that are fine and see if you notice any differences. You should be able to see a good deal with task lighting...at least you're not dealing with dupont connectors.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Sometimes I have trouble removing pins with the Mini-Fit Jr tool too. What often works is pushing the cable more inside the housing, followed by using the tool from the other side (where it's supposed to go). Than I give a good tug on the cable. Do watch out that you don't put too much pressure on the tool, those tips can break.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I've never had much luck with any of the dedicated extraction tools getting pins out of Mini-Fit Jr connectors. A pair of unbent paperclips (or staples for very tight fitting connectors) has worked much better, albeit with more effort required.

Reactions: ricochet

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
I've never had much luck with any of the dedicated extraction tools getting pins out of Mini-Fit Jr connectors. A pair of unbent paperclips (or staples for very tight fitting connectors) has worked much better, albeit with more effort required.
Concur, I have only had luck with two paperclips as well. MOLEX are lil buggers to unpin.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
For pins out of a molex, surely i is the bottom tool? tube slides over pin and two tags, tug on cable and out................The top tool is for the single visible latch tags, found on sata or fan connectors.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I have this one, it has maybe stopped me with removing one pin in fifty. The others all went perfectly.

For pins out of a molex, surely i is the bottom tool? tube slides over pin and two tags, tug on cable and out................The top tool is for the single visible latch tags, found on sata or fan connectors.

The top one is for Molex (Mini-Fit Jr. only ?) double latches (PCIe, ATX 24-pin, EPS), the second one is for Molex single latches. The fourth one is for "MATE-N-LOK".
Info tidbit: many people call it "the molex connector", but that's completely wrong, since it's made by AMP, it just loosely resembles a different-shaped Molex-brand connector.

Last edited:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Wow, I've spent lots of time on the Molex site and yet I didn't realize that.
Same here. The irony is delicious though: of all the standardised connectors in a PC that are actually based on MOLEX designs, the only (apart from the ol' obsolete 'floppy drive connector') that isn't is the one colloquially called the 'Molex connector'!
And given how much 'knowledge' in the PC realm is lore passed down with little questioning of its origin or veracity, entirely appropriate.