Super short 4-pin molex heads?

TheInternal

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 27, 2016
Howdy all.

So, I did a new non-SFF workstation build using the Gigabyte Phoenix SLI x99 motherboard and the NZXT S340. It has a female 4-pin molex (like the types hard drives and optical drives used to connect with before SATA became the norm) at a 90 degree angle on the bottom edge of the board, resulting in it having maybe 1 to 1.5 CM of clearance between the case and the socket.

Does anyone know of a super short 4-pin molex head extension that could fit a tight space like that? I'm not sure if the male head on this would be too long or not... https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2878

Any thoughts?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Interesting, I've never seen an angled IDE connector like that. I'd just shoot them an email and ask how far the angled part protrudes from an HDD when it's plugged in. If its too large, you could always try to make something yourself, but you'll have to solder for that.

The angled connector on the cable you linked is the female end. Gender in connectors is determined by the shape of the pins, not the housing, which makes sense if you think about it for a while ;)

My question would be why you actually need to supply power to the board at that location. What use does that have?

TheInternal

Trash Compacter
Original poster
May 27, 2016
So, the extenders didn't work. Stock, they were way to long 1cm or so, and the two I tried modding were either too short or the orientation of the cable impacted the motherboard preventing a good connection.

No one knows of a half height 4-pin molex connection?