Modified PCIe 8-pin connector

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
This is very useful... the connector seems to protrude and ruin many a case design.

Also would be very nice to develop a 90 degree low profile 24 pin ATX connector.

Reactions: Phuncz

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
ohhhh I just saw the thing on an earlier page..

Do want!

Also just noticed these are being sold:
https://www.moddiy.com/products/Spe...o-8%2dPin-PCI%2dE-Extension-Cable-(15cm).html

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Wait, how did I miss that? I didn't know we managed to get that far.
IIRC Guryhwa's PEG connector is just the bare pins soldered to a PCB, without the plastic housing. As low profile as you can get, but no keying means you need to be careful on insertion to get it the right way around, and no insulator means connecting it to a PSU without having it plugged into a card could lead to shorting the 12V rail.

R3venger

Trash Compacter
Dec 15, 2015
IIRC Guryhwa's PEG connector is just the bare pins soldered to a PCB, without the plastic housing. As low profile as you can get, but no keying means you need to be careful on insertion to get it the right way around, and no insulator means connecting it to a PSU without having it plugged into a card could lead to shorting the 12V rail.
Its not the bare pins
Just a connector cut down to a minimum.
If you look closely youll see it

Reactions: Biowarejak

KareonKables

Cable Smoosher
KareonKables
Dec 16, 2016
I bought one of these. It took 3 weeks to get here from China and you are right, it is a turd! after it shorted out, I removed the heat shrink to find that it looks like the gut had been melted out with a soldering iron. The heat shrink was put there to hide that. Awful!

Reactions: Biowarejak

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Some very interesting discussion on this thread.

Of course I mainly just skimmed it for now but I'll be back to read it in more detail. :)

And for what it's worth (or not) I've made a few of these short extensions (using standard connectors and 16 gauge wire) for people:

I didn't take a pic of it without the little cover over where the wires connect to the pins but if people are interested enough I could make another one and show the process. There is no heatshrink on the wires or solder inside but because of how I made it I'm confident that it won't short out like the one KareonKables had.

It doesn't get lower profile than the others that have been posted but I thought it might make a good addition to the thread since the wires exit towards the end of the card unlike basically all the other ones I saw.