Need advice on getting a particular finish

the9thdude

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
I'm planning an upcoming build in a MITXPC MX500 and am looking at trying to get a finish similar to the Vega 64 LC edition. Thing is, I think I need to strip the paint to the bare aluminum and would rather not have to (not to say I'm not willing), so I'm looking for alternative ideas.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Are you looking for a brushed metal finish? There are plenty of vinyls with a brushed metal appearance.

the9thdude

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
Are you looking for a brushed metal finish? There are plenty of vinyls with a brushed metal appearance.

I am, but all of the vinyl wraps I've seen are 3.5mm thick which is a bit too much for me since the case is so small.

the9thdude

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
That case looks like SECC to me, not aluminum. I I I is right, I think you need to look into a vinyl wrap:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0117LLJAA/?tag=theminutiae-20

BTW, vinyl thickness is measured in thousands of an inch, that's what the 3.2mil means--it is not milimeter. That's like .08 mm. Hope that makes sense.

Makes a lot more sense now! Thanks for the tip off! I'll take a look into it.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Makes a lot more sense now! Thanks for the tip off! I'll take a look into it.

Hope you can find something that works for you!

Something you COULD do is sandblast the case and then radial brush it by hand. Make a sanding block and move it against a straight surface. Clean the surface up REAL good, then you can powdercoat it immediately with a candy blue or a "casper" blue.

It's worth noting that if you live in a moist environment that eventually steel may rust underneath the powdercoat, as you will be striping away the zinc coating when you sandblast and radial brush it.

Peace!

the9thdude

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
Hope you can find something that works for you!

Something you COULD do is sandblast the case and then radial brush it by hand. Make a sanding block and move it against a straight surface. Clean the surface up REAL good, then you can powdercoat it immediately with a candy blue or a "casper" blue.

It's worth noting that if you live in a moist environment that eventually steel may rust underneath the powdercoat, as you will be striping away the zinc coating when you sandblast and radial brush it.

Peace!

Thanks again! I think the vinyl is going to be the route I take since I don't really have the equipment to sandblast and the effort seems like it'll be more than it's worth.