Prototype Mini-malist: 5L console style gaming case design, "The 1st"

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
Thank you for finding/suggesting this. This has now been considered, and following some concerns raised by other forum members I will not be using this cable. Main concerns is the strength of the cable sleeving, and the terminals and any risk of bare wire being exposed. I will however be looking to incorporate the original cable into the design and will move the PSU completely inside. Pics of the suggested cable below for people following to save clicking the link.

Last edited:
Reactions: Valantar

Vir

Average Stuffer
Apr 26, 2020
Am I mistaken in believing this was the kind of plug which shorted out and set a bunch of zs a4 cases on fire?

Reactions: Day VReamer

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Am I mistaken in believing this was the kind of plug which shorted out and set a bunch of zs a4 cases on fire?
No idea, but as with all mains power wiring, insulation is absolutely crucial. And, as these are individual wires and thus only have a single (and relatively thin) layer of insulation, they are inherently more vulnerable than the more common wire types for AC. There's nothing inherently dangerous about this type of design, but it's not something normally seen in user-accessible parts of a product.

@mbrown278 If I were you, given the use of these in a custom case, I would order them with the exact necessary wire length and minimal slack left for insertion/removal, and bundle them with some suitable tape or similar to hold them down inside of the case, and an illustrated guide for where and how to route the wire. You really, really don't want AC wires floating around loosely with the possibility of being pinched between components or panels.

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
No idea, but as with all mains power wiring, insulation is absolutely crucial. And, as these are individual wires and thus only have a single (and relatively thin) layer of insulation, they are inherently more vulnerable than the more common wire types for AC. There's nothing inherently dangerous about this type of design, but it's not something normally seen in user-accessible parts of a product.

@mbrown278 If I were you, given the use of these in a custom case, I would order them with the exact necessary wire length and minimal slack left for insertion/removal, and bundle them with some suitable tape or similar to hold them down inside of the case, and an illustrated guide for where and how to route the wire. You really, really don't want AC wires floating around loosely with the possibility of being pinched between components or panels.
Enough said, I will be looking to incorporate the initial cable into the design, not this one. Whilst considering this cable I have come up with a few ideas on how to make it work, so will remain with the initial cable:

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
On another exciting note, I contacted Noctua to see whether they would be willing to support the initial build, and they have kindly agreed to provide seven of their NF-A4 x 10 PWM fans. These are a good balance for sound level, and the amount of air they move whilst remaining thin, which is why I reached out to Noctua. Thank you!

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
Hi all, sorry for the slow progress, I have been reviewing the design and making a number of ammendments/testing various options, and I have finally come to the final design.

The work I have been doing is as follows:

- The long internal power cable I have managed to find is 60cm long. To route the cable around the GPU would likely need a cable that is the length and width of the case, and a small amount spare for pluging it in to the PSU, so slightly over 60cm. I therefore re-designed the case to incorporate the PSU the other way around, exhausting the hot air towards the GPU. This however reduced clearance, and made securing the PSU more difficult and didn't look/feel right. So I have now reverted to the design with the PSU exhausting out of the case, but with a spacer allowing for the PSU cable to be fully contained within the case. I have therefore changed how that side of the case looks with the ventilation for the PSU.
-I have created a spacer which will be fitted when a double slot GPU is fitted, instead of a 2.5 slot GPU. This will help reduce GPU movement.
- I have redesigned the area around the rear power connector, this is to maximise space and maximise the available height for the GPU.
- I did have some folded tabs which were coming off of the lid and base below and above the PSU, which would have stopped it moving up and down, helping to secure the PSU in place. I have now removed them and will be using stick on rubber strips to give the appropriate spacing for the PSU between the lid/base.

I will now be getting a requote, and ordering one to ensure everything is as planned and complete a test build prior to making it available. Here are the latest renders with the feet in the various orientations:

Last edited:

oasis1991

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2021
it should fit my 7660b modular right?
you stated 150mm flex psu max
my 7660b modular is 169.5mm which basically the same lemgth as Mini ITX mobo

Reactions: Day VReamer

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
The difficulty is that the power cable when plugged into the psu adds 20mm to the length of the psu, and due to the position of the power button it might interfere with the modular part of the psu. I'll give it some thought to see if there is an alternative option for the power button, or will check for likely clearance for modular pcb/connectors and will update 👍

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
So I have now changed the power button to a 12mm button, and moved it a few mm's along. From looking at images of your modular PSU, I think the only bit that would have had clearance issues (the power connectors) finish a few mm's from the end. I think it will be incredibly close, but I am pretty sure it will fit :D

Reactions: HWI

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
Any possibly for a grill design like the meshlicious or densium that allows more airflow?
Thanks for your query, this may sound odd however the grill on a case like the Meshilicious would, despite its huge vented area, cause some restriction on the airflow due to the holes being so small. It is acting a bit like a filter, and it is likely that the vent holes on a case such as this, or something like the SFFtime P-ATX v3 or Nfc S4 Mini would have higher air flow (I think 😀)

Reactions: HWI and rfarmer

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
I have now started to create a website through Wix to sell the case through. The case isn't yet available for purchase, and I haven't confirmed the exact price yet, but please feel free to have a look at the site, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
I am at the stage where I have the quote to make them in batches of 10, and I have found and confirmed pricing for all of the elements needed to get this up for sale and out to any potential buyers. As I have stated, I am not in this for profit, and just enjoy designing/making cases, so will be selling this at the price it costs me to build/supply it. In the spirit of this, and to determine whether the cost is suitable and is still of interest, below is a breakdown of the estimated/confirmed costs. It is higher than I initially hoped, with me previously at one point stating it being likely to be around £120 all in. The things that have raised the cost is a GPU spacer I added to help secure the gpu if it is 40-45mm thick and doesn't take up the whole 50mm or so - £7.53), and the feet which I hadn't finalised when I got my initial quote. Other costs just seem to add up, detailed below. After finalising the design the main component and the "lid" also were slightly more than prevciously stated. It totals £150 per case, then delivery is likely to be around £10. So £160 per case all in, including tax. This might be more than some people expected, but hopefully the brushed stainless steel and design gives it a premium edge/feel, but I wanted to put this out there to see whether people were still interested? - Please let me know. If so then I will continue with the process, get my final design built as a one off to do final checks before opening pre-orders and advertising on various sites/forums. Thanks all

No. per case (with spares)Cost of making the case + parts metal work
£125.05​
12​
4mm countersunk rivet (12)
£0.67​
2​
M4 flange nut for GPU (2)
£0.13​
1​
M4 spanner
£0.79​
1​
Power cable
£3.64​
Power cable extension?
2​
Rubber trim for the feet
£0.65​
1​
Power button
£2.93​
1​
Rubber/neoprene strip to act as spacer above/below PSU
£0.38​
6​
GPU spacers/washers
£0.13​
1​
PCIe riser
£6.03​
1​
Packaging/Box (int 356x284x75)
£1.56​
8​
Protective corners
£1.15​
10​
Bags for screws
£0.19​
1​
Clear plastic bag for protecting case in transit inside cardboard box with corner protectors
£0.11​
30​
M3 x 5mm screws countersunk for lid/feet/power connector/GPU spacer
£0.81​
8​
M3 x 10 mm screws (for GPU spacer)
£0.29​
10​
M3 x 5mm pan head screw for motherboard and gpu tab.
£0.37​
6​
6 32 standoff for PSU 20mm long
£1.99​
8​
6 32 screws 10mm for PSU countersunk
£0.40​
2​
M4 bolt for GPU
£0.24​
Card transfer cost Wix/Paypal
£3.30​
Total cost
£150.79​

Last edited:
Reactions: nerdbit and Vir

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
Just had a quote back for a batch of 20: If I manage to do a batch of 20, then I could bring the cost down to £138.64 + about £10 for postage, so £148.64 all in, taxes and everything, all parts etc etc. Is there still interest at this price? Thank you

Reactions: Neathdrawls

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
Where will be the case be made?
It will be made in the UK, I have considered making it somewhere cheaper like China, but due to the batch numbers I'm expecting, it is unlikely to reduce the cost. I'd be happy to consider shipping it outside of the UK if anyone is interested.

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
Hi, I am wondering if a 2.5mm hhd be installed if I am installing a 180mm long display card?
Thank you for your query, there would be space to fit a 2.5" SSD/HDD. I haven't included mounting holes for this, I will either include double side sticky pads, or will add a mount/mounting holes when I order/send out the first batch. I will update the post and listing on my site with the solution I go with. Hope that helps 👍