Mini ITX PC - Need some help

lewiz

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Dec 16, 2019
www.lewiscooke.com
Im planning to build a Mini-ITX gaming pc with the NZXT H210i case. I want to get a pelican case for transporting the pc from home to friends houses but I don't understand the order NZXT measure their case in. I can't seem to find a pelican case which would fit this pc case that has wheels & pull handle and is big enough for a 10 keyless keyboard as well. anyone who could assist me in find would be much appreciated.

creature.shock

Efficiency Noob
Dec 16, 2019
You might be able to get away with the iM2620 case, but I think the iM2750 might offer more protection. I have an H200 case I use for one of my two miniITX systems, it's not something I would suggest for travel system. Something like the Lian-Li PC-TU100A if you are planning on moving the system around a lot.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Please tell me this is not a joke post.

can't seem to find a pelican case which would fit this pc case that has wheels & pull handle and is big enough for a 10 keyless keyboard as well.

I can find you a pelican case that can fit inside that case (no, not really, j/k). Put that 10KL keyboard inside while you're at it.

Reactions: rfarmer

lewiz

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Dec 16, 2019
www.lewiscooke.com
Please tell me this is not a joke post.

I can find you a pelican case that can fit inside that case (no, not really, j/k). Put that 10KL keyboard inside while you're at it.

This is not a joke post, I am genuinely looking for a hard case for when I move house & or got for a LAN party to keep the pc safe in transit.

lewiz

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Dec 16, 2019
www.lewiscooke.com
What features of the H210i made you decide on that case? For an ITX case, it's quite larger.

My friend just built an identical gaming pc, He has the H200i but I also have a MacBook Pro so was looking at the H210i as it now supports thunderbolt, so I can technically charge the Mac from it while "working", plus it has a better tempered glass panel fixture system. I know it's quite large but its the smallest I could find without compromising on space for components, its going to live on my desk so its the best size other than the Phantex shift evolve which although is one I would prefer, has too many downsides for my own personal needs. I Specifically wanted a case like the corsair one but decided building it myself would be more cost effective.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Well, this is off to a bumpy start. I would recommend you rethink and revise your plans.

First off, the H210i does not "support thunderbolt". It has a USB-C (for USB 2.0/3.0/3.1G2/possibly 3.2G2x2) socket on its front I/O. That is not the same thing. For thunderbolt support you need a motherboard with Thunderbolt support (of which there are a few, but not many) and those only exist with rear TB3 ports. There is no such thing as front panel TB3 outside of a Mac Pro. The internal cabling connecting that front port to the socket would never ever support the data rates necessary for TB3.

Beyond that, plugging a MacBook into a TB3 port on another PC wouldn't charge it. Or, well, it technically might, but at 15W (as that's the power output spec for TB3 host ports), so the laptop would trickle charge at best, and still drain its battery under any kind of load. The only use for PC-to-PC TB3 connections is Thunderbolt Networking - which is brilliant, as it gives you "free" 10GbE between the connected PCs, but they won't charge. There are no motherboards with USB-PD output support through their TB3 ports.

Beyond that, as someone whose main rig lives in an H200i, this is not a small and travel friendly case. I chose it because it was the best option for my already owned ATX PSU and necessary water cooling at the time (outside of exorbitantly expensive options), but it is by no means compact for an ITX case. A pelican case big enough to house it plus the necessary padding to keep it safe (which, considering the weight of an assembled system like that would be substantial) would be huge. You'd need to add at least 10cm to each dimension of the case, though 15 would be safer.

Something like a Cougar QBX would be a far better option for anything that gets moved around a lot.

@Choidebu I have multiple pelican(-style) cases that could undoubtedly fit inside my H200i if it was empty. They don't have wheels though ;)