Mini ITX build with Noctua-D15 Performance Gaming PC

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
I started a thread a few days ago for a concept design for my ultra compact gaming PC with the D15 as a centerpiece.

Thread here:
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...king-2x-noctua-d15s-coolers.9826/#post-127357

the 3 concept designs:

V1: Double NH-D15 stacked. Would be the tallest

V2: Using the CH-C14s for the CPU would compromise a bit of performance but should still be plenty to cool the CPU

V3: Hybrid Air-Liquid build. A smaller 120/140mm AIO can be sandwitch in between the D15 heatsink towers. This further reduces to overall height. Down side is possible extra noise from pump, plus side is can use full size ATX PSU since there are extra space cause by the length of the long fullsize GPU.

V2-B: Using BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 and Dark Rock TF. I name it the "Dark Tower" build:

Objecttives:
0) (Noise == Performance ) > Size > Aesthetics
1) Very compact build that compact all the components together.
2) No performance compromise
3) Minimal use of fans to make this a silent built
4) 6.7x6.7" base, height is variable base on final design.

I figure since I'll start building and testing various components to work out the quirks I'd move the info here to the building logs.

Specs:
i7-8086K
RTX 2080 TI
Asus Z370-i
512GB 960 Pro Nvme
480GB Adata XPG Nvme
RipJaws 16gb 3200Mhz RAM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Progress Album:

Google Alternative:

https://photos.app.******/uoJL7DwtJ3BTUgBh9
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 1 : Starting build log. So far have tested GPU with Noctua d15 mounted. Very good results, GPU running at 50C under load

Update 2:
Conduct test for V3 concept with radiator sandwich in between the D15 heatsink plates. Very good results still. 2 140mm fan is used for push-pull running through both the radiator & D15 heatsink. Both GPU & CPU running around ~50C under load. Under OC, 2080 ti can go to 2100Mhz @ ~60C. Great results! I am liking V3 so far for how compact it is and cheaper to put together. (smaller AIO are cheap, shorter pcie riser, etcs). And full size ATX PSU are quieter and run cooler also.

Update 3:
Added concept for enclosure design. Thinking front/top/bottom could be wood. Sides can be tempered glass, and the back can be a full metal mesh. With a full metal mesh back, I might not have to add more vent holes on the sides. That would keep the complexity down.

Update 4:
Testing TT 600mm riser cable, V3 appears to be difficult to put together due to GPU I/O being in the way of most placements. When GPU output ports is on the bottom, it interfere with the PCIE riser and it's hard to work around. V2 is looking good right now:

Update 5:

NH-C14s came in today so I tested the V2 concept. Amazing temps still all fans running at~30-40%

So far, this is the easiest to put together. Everything just fits like a puzzle . The sfx PSU will sit on top of the stack and there's still be plenty of riom to route wires

Update 6: Testing PSU wiring on V2 build

Wiring was a breeze, all the crevasses was enough to run all the wires, and everything except for the 24 pins was stock sfx length, I needed an extension for the 24 pin.

Update #7:
Some people are requesting for a mock for a gtx 1080 ti mini build so here it is:

Update #8 : The "Dark Tower" build

The Dark Rock Pro 4 & TF combo came today so I'd put it together for testing. I call this the "Dark Tower".

With this combo, there's no change in temp performance, if anything the GPU now runs 1C lower! But thats within margin of error so I'd deem the performance the same as the noctua d15 & c14s combo.

But the biggest difference here is obviously the "dark look", it's probably more appealing to most people. AND I was able to shave some about 1L in volume (~1 inch shorter stack and some side space)

Update #9.

I made some effort toward case design today as performance testing is paused until I get Li-Heat PCIE riser that he's gracefully offered.

For simplicity, here's a first draft of the case design:

Here is a "frame design", the internal skeleton of the case. The red plate is what the GPU will be mounted directly to, it can have various mounting holes for different type of GPU models. I will need to work that out when testing different card. The mounting bracket then will be screw and attached to the frame.

Also, not included in the above pic, I think the top part of the front (opposite the PSU) is a good place to mount a few SSD or 1 HD if that is ever needed. That's one of the few "dead space" inside the tightly fitted rig.

I haven't gone too far with with the external panels yet, I will continue to work on various design of panels that can be attached to this skeleton/framework to form a finished case.

Update #10

I've got some old parts from a friend ( Foxconn H67s + i7-2600k + DDR3 RAMs) so I figure I'd use this spare system to test the V3 concept with a GTX 1080 ti Mini. The mini's length is perfect to house a full NH-D15 with the 2 fans mounted at the opposite ends.

I don't have a spare pcie riser set so the GPU is mounted normally in it's regular pcie slot. Here you can see a full stack of the D15 mounted on the GTX 1080 TI and a 120MM AIO sandwiched right in between.

Holy moly the temps! The GTX 1080 TI Mini never got above 40C and it dles around 21C with fan speed around ~30%... Insane temp! (Now I'm questioning why I'm going to a RTX 2080 Ti lol!)

The i7-2600k runs around ~55C under gaming load, but it's on a much lower process and I'm using only a slim 120mm aio, I suspect a 140mm would give it better result, and if u're using a modern CPU it would even be better.

Will try a full stack once I've got another PCIE riser soon.

Update #11 - Li-Heat PCIE Riser Review (Type D)

The Li-Heat foldable Type D - PCIE Riser cable came today (350mm and 400mm). I'm thankful for these as they were sent out by @yawacool .

I immediately folded them to try on my builds, I'll add a seperate update to show how they in the actual rig.

My first impression is that they're very easy to work with, using proper folding instruction (using a screw driver at the folded junctions to prevent a full complete 180 degree bent).

I have my rig ran for hours now without any frame drop so I am very pleased with these, the best thing about these cables is that the folding really helps with making my build cleaner. No more pcie riser cable sticking out from the top of the card in the previous pics!

I previously used the thermaltake cables and they bending is possible but they're not as robust or fordable as these!

Update #12 - V3 using 1080 ti mini in full stack! (Using Li-Heat PCIE cable)

Here is the V3 implementation in it's intended orientation since I've got a spare pcie cable to test now. From the pics you can tell that it's now standing about ~8.5 inches tall without the PSU. The PSU can be mounted top or bottom if using a shorter GPU (gtx 1080 ti mini in this build). If using longer GPU I recommend top mounted PSU to maximize the user of deadspace. You can spot the pcie riser cable attached and the GPU's IO are exposed on the same side as the mobo IO.

I don't think it will be much more compacted than this. The pump at full RPM is not audible even in open air and the typical coil whine from the GPU is probably the largest source of noise from what I can hear.

One important thing to note about the GTX 1080 TI mini is that, the lowest fan speed is 44% (and I can't change the fan curve so this must be a bios thing). I have to use one of noctua's low noise adapter to further reduce the fan speed down. It's running at about ~30% right now with the low noise adapter. I think 30% default is good because it's also giving the AIO radiator decent air flow in IDLE state.

The craziest thing is the GPU never went above 40C in my test, 40C! I can't remember the last time I see any aio hybrid building reaching these temps!

Overall, this is a very efficient and compact build and I can't decide if I like V3 or V2-B (dark tower) better.
I prefer pure heatsink build but this AIO hybrid build is working so well, and 120mm AIO are so cheap nowadays (especially those non-rgb ones. The cooler master 120 lite I use here was $25 when ons ale!) that even if it breaks down after 2-3 years, it's not that bad to replace considering how cheap they are.

Update #13
I have started a new thread for case design and prototype here:

SFF Forum:
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...led-truely-silent-high-performance-case.9940/

Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/abdoil/uniq1_112l_miniitx_uniquely_aircooled_truely/

update #14 - Pseudo prototype (WIP)

Got some free time tonight so I went to home depot and grab some cheap materials to build a prototype case. Not a "real" aluminum prototype but one made out of wood/aluminum angle to house my V2-b. I'm most interested in making sure that the pcie bracket works as I have imagined.

Not quiet done yet, but hopefully I'll complete and test the bracket in the new few days. Will update when I'm done!

Last edited:

batterybull

Trash Compacter
Jul 28, 2018
I've done a dual d15 build before, but with the phanteks dual tower cooler in a mid tower form factor so this just brings me back. How do you plan on routing the gpu outputs?

btw, you should bolt the d15 on the gpu directly to the case frame (sandwiching the pcb in between), I would not trust the pcie bracket to handle the weight of the d15 at all

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
I've done a dual d15 build before, but with the phanteks dual tower cooler in a mid tower form factor so this just brings me back. How do you plan on routing the gpu outputs?

btw, you should bolt the d15 on the gpu directly to the case frame (sandwiching the pcb in between), I would not trust the pcie bracket to handle the weight of the d15 at all

For now, I plan to use 1-foot displayport/hdmi extensions to the back of the case where the mobo I/Os are. I dont use all 4/5 connections from the gpu I/O. At most maybe 1 displayport and 1 hdmi, so I dont plan to extend ALL the connections.

And that's a good idea on mounting the video card + d15 directly to the case for better mounting support!

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Love your priorities. How does the D15 compare to the stock cooler?

Very well I'd say. The 2080 Ti runs about 5-10c hotter comparing to the 1080 ti due to a much bigger die size.

Stock heatsink and fan I've seen the rtx 2080 ti go above 80c

With d15, abeit in open case the temp was around low 50c

So a huge improvement, similar to what I was getting using 280mm aio, but much quieter with only 2 fans and no pump

Reactions: dealda

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Added concept for enclosure design. Thinking front/top/bottom could be wood. Sides can be tempered glass, and the back can be a full metal mesh. With a full metal mesh back, I might not have to add more vent holes on the sides. That would keep the complexity down.

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
wow, I found this concept really interesting... Already seen results in a DIYPerks video, but yours is definitively a more refinement design!

Anyway:
1) isn't your case design too much restrictive?
2) why not go with something like Dynamo Combo by @Kmpkt ? Price?
3) why did you choose to route I/O from MoBo and from GPU to two different side of the case? Wouldn't be it easier to route them to the same panel, so GPU riser wouldn't have to make any 90° bend?

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
wow, I found this concept really interesting... Already seen results in a DIYPerks video, but yours is definitively a more refinement design!

Anyway:
1) isn't your case design too much restrictive?
2) why not go with something like Dynamo Combo by @Kmpkt ? Price?
3) why did you choose to route I/O from MoBo and from GPU to two different side of the case? Wouldn't be it easier to route them to the same panel, so GPU riser wouldn't have to make any 90° bend?

Thanks, and I def got some tips and idea drawn from DIYPerks video!

1) I dont think so, seeing how the front and back fans are close to the front and back of the case, there should be plenty of air to channel through directly. Because the case is small and the fans are huge, it should easily be able to pull all the air around the tight space to 1 big channel of air flow. The open-mesh back should also provide plenty of vent for any other trapped air.

Unless you mean in term of actual space for wire connections, extra drive, etcs. In my case, I dont plan to use any SSD/HDD so there aren't too many things that I need to connect. The only things that I'm worried about are 24-pin connection, CPU power, and the 2x8-pin PCIE, and finally the riser cable. But I think I can squeeze those through whatever space is left around the heatsinks.

2) It's mention above that I'm using top of the line CPU/GPU so the power draw is very high 500W+ under full load. Those micro PSU won't have enough power and I'd need to use a brick anyways and that's something I don't want. Another thing is, because of the length of high-end graphics, it's hard to build a smaller encloser than 10-11" long/wide. (Unless I opt for rtx 2080 ti mini, that MIGHT get released later. Or go back to using the gtx 1080 ti mini.

3) This is mostly because of putting the GPU in an orientation that would yield the least "wasted space".

Reactions: SashaLag

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Update:
600mm pcie riser came today so I got to test the GPU in up-right mounting position. I was mostly interested in testing V3, due to it being the smallest size. However, I find it hard to place the GPu due to limited spacing near the bottom and that's also where the displayport/hdmi are. A lot of space is needed down there if I were to add any extension adapter to route those outputs out.

Ended up testing more for V2 (using a C14s at the bottom). I think this build is looking to be the most promising in term of ease for placement of the GPU.

The yellow box represents where the C14s will be and the radiator will be replaced by a fan. The PCIE riser is working perfectly fine in this configuration. But I find the TT riser to be still when it comes to folding. MIght need to look for a more fold-able riser.

Yawacool from LiHeat has offered to send me a sample pcie riser of my choosing, so I'd def take him up on his offer once I figure out what orientation I'd need (straight vs angle, and length)

Last edited:
Reactions: SashaLag

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Picture link is broken for me
That's strange, are you able to see it in the original post under updates?

I've logged out from both sff forum and imgur and I'm still able to see the pics.

Last edited:

Waffuls

Cable Smoosher
Jan 23, 2017
The picture is fixed, V3 looks pretty cool. if your able to get enough airflow to cool a 140 radiator that would be pretty awesome.

Having a D14 makes me want to try this out too.

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
The picture is fixed, V3 looks pretty cool. if your able to get enough airflow to cool a 140 radiator that would be pretty awesome.

Having a D14 makes me want to try this out too.

I don't have a 140mm cooler with me to test, but the h100i running at quiet RPM mode is able to keep the 8086k below 60 while hot air is coming off the d15. 140mm shouldn't be far in performance comparing to h100i.

And I'm doing this keeping max RPM at 30% ~400rpm. I'm capping this at 30% bcuz I deem this speed "silent" in the open. So if u have better fan noise tolerance than the temp can be even better

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Update #5:

NH-C14s came in today so I tested the V2 concept. Amazing temps still all fans running at~30-40%

So far, this is the easiest to put together. Everything just fits like a puzzle . The sfx PSU will sit on top of the stack and there's still be plenty of riom to route wires

Last edited:
Reactions: dealda and yawacool

neyurt

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
Update 6: Testing PSU wiring on V2 build

Wiring was a breeze, all the crevasses was enough to run all the wires, and everything except for the 24 pins was stock sfx length, I needed an extension for the 24 pin.

Last edited:
Reactions: xSDMx